Profile for Coyley@ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Cuppa Tea and an Aspirin
A Cuppa Tea and an Aspirin

4.0 out of 5 stars Poverty in Liverpool., 13 April 2014
I have read most of Helen Forrester's books, all of which depict life both inter-war and during the second world war. Her stories are based on first hand experience of life in poverty at a time when there was little work and even less money for many Liverpool families. All of them are worth reading.

The Real Mother Goose
The Real Mother Goose
by Blanche Fisher Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Original Mother Goose, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Real Mother Goose (Hardcover)
A beautifully produced original nursery rhyme book, and a popular choice. however, I feel it suffers from not including more current translations, and some f the poetry scans badly. A better choice is the Frank Baber Mother Goose, which includes 300 rhymes, most of which will be already familiar.

Frank Baber's Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
Frank Baber's Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
by Frank Baber

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Mother Goose., 13 April 2014
My children were brought up with this book. I think it is the best Mother Goose on the market. Most of the nursery rhymes are in translations and wording already familiar to adults.

Year of Night
Year of Night
by Kate Beswick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Insight, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Year of Night (Paperback)
Before reading this excellent book by Kate Beswick, I knew very little of the fate of middle and upper class Russians at the time of the Russian Revolution. Through the eyes of the ingénue, Nadia , we are transported into a world of double standards and subterfuge where survival becomes paramount.
Suddenly parted from her home and family and left in the care of an 'uncle' that even her family had held at arm's length, we experience the fear and terror of her escape from St Petersberg. She eventually lives a strange existence in Paris where the displaced Russian Community settled, while never quite feeling accepted or assimilated.
This is an unusual novel by a new and very talented writer.

Behold A Pale Horse (Sister Fidelma)
Behold A Pale Horse (Sister Fidelma)
by Peter Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of Sequence., 14 Jun. 2013
A newcomer to Sister Fidelma's world, I discovered her by chance in a collection of historical crime novels. So I read this book after 'Absolution by Murder' and 'Shroud for the Archbishop'. This seemed the most sensible way to approach the stories. I had already fallen for Sister Fidelma, so was only too delighted to read more. I would advise new readers to do as I did and complete this book before reading 'Suffer Little Children'. Then you will understand the chronology. Peter Tremayne has created a wonderful world, based upon his knowledge of the history of the so called 'Dark Ages'. This book, set in an Italian monastery, like 'Suffer Little Children', set in an Irish one, does not include the English brother Eadulf, so Fidelma, as a young woman, has to solve the murder unaided.

Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma)
Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma)
by Peter Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 14 Jun. 2013
Having completed all the Caedfael novels of Ellis Peters, I was searching for something with the same flavour. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Sister Fidelma, who is the main character in this set of books. As I am an expert on neither religious nor Celtic history, for me the historical setting seemed realistic and compelling. My understanding benefited greatly from Tremayne's knowledge about the council of Whitby and the monastic traditions of earlier times. I was impatient to discover more, and am at present working my way through the series.

Stealing Into Winter: being the first adventure from the chronicles of Jeniche of Antar
by Graeme K. Talboys

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival and Trust., 24 Sept. 2012
Jeniche is a complex and central character in this novel. With her diverse companions, she leads you into a difficult world, where keeping alive and finding food, clothing and shelter are daily priorities. Avoiding the occupying soldiers is a continuing life-threatening struggle. While her friends become important, those characters she mistrusts, you begin to keep at arm's length.
The world of Jeniche is complex and sometimes bewildering. As you travel the countries of the plot, there are hidden puzzles which the imagination struggles to solve. Some episodes provide tantalising glimpses of other plots to follow, encountering characters, places and time frames the reader hopes to eventually revisit.
Stealing into Winter is a really good read, one of those books that you are sorry to finish. I am already looking forward to the sequel.

Good Housekeeping Cookery Book
Good Housekeeping Cookery Book
by Good Housekeeping Institute

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best Cookery Book, 16 Dec. 2011
I bought myself this 1972 cookery book when I first got married, having been impressed by the 1950's version used by my friend (on loan from her mum). My old book, having been used almost daily for 40 years has totally fallen apart and I am about to replace it with one in better condition. I have also used the 1977 edition, which I bought for my cousin and my nan, and which my daughter still uses. That one has the best recipe for Black Forest Gateaux anywhere.
These early cookery books do not cater for vegetarian palettes, but they have the best basic British cooking techniques and the sauces and stuffings chapters are amazing. Personally, I don't rate the newer versions, but any of those published before 1990 are an excellent buy. If I only had one cookery book on my shelf, it would be this one.

Bye Bye, Blackbird
Bye Bye, Blackbird
by Patricia Wendorf

5.0 out of 5 stars Patteran., 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Bye Bye, Blackbird (Paperback)
This is the third book in the 'Patteran Trilogy' of Patricai Wendorf. I love these books, the mention of Somerset villages, the understanding of Romany gypsy lore and language and the way the two families are interwoven by fate and gypsy magic. The characters are drawn from life. Here the issues raised by one generation are resolved by their children and grandchildren. Woven throughout the books is the story of the ancient Egyptian necklace, swapped or 'chopped' in the first book for a beautiful glass bowl. I can't get enough of Patricia Wendorf. I hope other readers will love this trilogy as much as I do.

Blanche (Patteran trilogy)
Blanche (Patteran trilogy)
by Patricia Wendorf

5.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Woman, 30 Aug. 2011
Blanche is the second book in the Patteran Trilogy. It is best read after Larksleve, but stands alone as a cracking good story. Particia Wendorf's women are strong characters and Blanche is no exception. There is less of gypsy lore in this book than the previous one, but love her or hate her, you will want to discover the outcome of Blanche's headstrong schemes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3