Profile for vbprogman > Reviews

Content by vbprogman

vbprogman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Last Voyage (Region 2)
The Last Voyage (Region 2)
Offered by Arco Celeste Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars I won't leave you Mommy!, 2 July 2015
This review is from: The Last Voyage (Region 2) (DVD)
Probably my last DVD purchase for a long while as I an running out of money fast owing to the ongoing World depression and no work. At least this is one that I have always wanted.

This film is notable, not least because of great stunts and special effects, but also the sinking of an actual cruise liner.

It also has, what I believe to be one of the best child performances I have ever seen from Tammy Marihugh. Little Tammy immediately set about stealing every camera shot she was in from her adult colleagues. So much does she do this, that they finally had to get Woody Strode to throw her over the side of the ship.

Tammy, (Tamara), went on to become an exotic dancer, and later shot her violent and abusive husband to death. Good for her!

Great performances from all at front of camera. The production team and crew must have been second to none.

This film will eclipse all other disaster movies you may see. Enjoy.

War Is A Racket
War Is A Racket
by Smedley Darlington Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Profit if there ever was one, 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: War Is A Racket (Paperback)
I am now unable to purchase this book as I had intended because Amazon have now put the price up from £2.75 to the ridiculous price of £849.25!

General Butler's words should be required reading for any soldier, airman or sailor who comtemplates his/her involvement in war.

[Cord-free Power Supply, New Version] Inateck® 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop for Windows XP/7/8, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, No Additional Power Connection Needed
Offered by Inateck

1.0 out of 5 stars The item initially proved to be unreliable and has now ..., 2 Oct. 2014
The item initially proved to be unreliable and has now failed completely.

First, it started to reselect my usb 3 flash drive repeatedly making it impossible to read the device.

Last night, it packed up completely. The next time that I take the computer down, I will remove it and discard with discust.

And, Yes, I did download and install the latest software for it.

Why Amazon do not allow us to award negative star ratings, I have no idea. Rubbish products deserve this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 7:03 AM BST

The Hot Zone: The Chilling True Story of an Ebola Outbreak
The Hot Zone: The Chilling True Story of an Ebola Outbreak
by Richard Preston

5.0 out of 5 stars No comfort in the knowledge, 2 Sept. 2014
A very well written book that is hard to put aside before finishing. I like this author, and am satisfied with my purchase.

It does suggest, at least to me, that the highly qualified, brave and dedicated individuals who engage in investigating these matters and treating the sick, are largely as helpless as the rest of us in the event. It also suggests to me, a possible airborne capability for this agent, if only a limited one over distance.

The suggestion in part 2 that an outbreak of the Reston strain in the US involved the transfer of infected monkey carcasses between vehicles in plastic bin bags, and in a public place, is actually frightening. Monkey house next to a school? Christ!

Unless I have been misinformed, whilst mankind has had some success in inoculation against viruses, we have never found a cure for one. If so, we have little chance of medical science helping us with this. Please tell me that I'm wrong in this understanding!

What do we do when the 'thing' is killing the doctors and nurses quicker than the rest of us? Perhaps we should be looking to homeopathic or alternative medicine for help.

I also understand that the US holds a patent on Ebola. If this is so, can someone please tell me why?

The reader will surely observe that this is not my knowledge area. This review is written at a time when there is another major outbreak in Africa, of possibly two human killing strains. If it goes worldwide, we can only stand our ground in the knowledge that most of us will not make it.

This book, which is good descriptive fiction, based on fact, is well worth the read, but may give you some sleepless nights.

DeWalt GOGGLE Concealer Clear Goggle DPG82-11D
DeWalt GOGGLE Concealer Clear Goggle DPG82-11D

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 May 2014
It is rare that I feel that I can award a five star rating to a product.

Not only are they comfortable to wear for long periods, but are lovely and clear to see through. I am sure that the impact protection would prove sound if an accident happened.

I will be buying a second pair for my father.

Printing Pleasure - Remanufactured ( 1 SET ) HP High Quality Ink cartridge HP23 & HP45 Remanufactured for HP printers Colour Copier 140, 145, 160, Deskjet 1120C, 1120cxi, 1125c, 710C, 712C, 720C, 722C, 815C, 880C, 890c, 895CSE, 895Cxi, Officejet 1170C, R45, R60, R65, T45, T65
Offered by Printing Pleasure

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not buy again, 19 May 2014
I will not be purchasing remanufactured ink cartridges or anything else of this nature again.

The sellers describe their product as 'high qauality.' I regret that I have to say that this has not been my experience of it. In fact, one star is more than I would award it, given the chance.

After about 10 sheets, the black cartridge dried up and refused to function. To date, it defies all attempts to clear it. This unit has probably been recycled so many times that it is just worn out.

My best advice is to buy new cartridges and re-ink them yourself when necessary. The ink and cleaners are available from Amazon and other good stationery sites. This can be done many times before they give up the ghost. Using printhead cleaners, like pristine fluid, can minimize loss of print quality and blockages.

When you cartridges eventually fail, just destroy them and buy new ones to replace.

USB 2.0 to Scart adapter , Easy Capture with EASY DVD Maker , easy recording from your TV / DVD / Video recorder , RCA Analog to Digital , rescue your VHS Cassettes , Video or Picture , inkl. Audio Video grabber

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 14 April 2014
The supporting application seemed ti install ok on Windows 7 32 bit. The files created from VHS got so big that they would not fit on a DVD. Lost interest owing to other commitments and never resolved this.

When the computer was upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, the software would not install and failed with a fatal error. Emailed the software creators, and they said that they thought that I was using a "Customized" version of the software. They seemed to wash their hands of my problem by saying that I should contact the seller. I see this as a cop out as they wrote the software which is bulk standard.

Because of this, I make no apology for giving a one star rating. If you produce a product with end to profit, then you should stand by it by resolving customers issues for them.

Storm Warning (1951) Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day
Storm Warning (1951) Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Offered by Arco Celeste Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Dec. 2013
I recently had the chance to see this film again after many years, and continue to be impressed.

Singularly good performance by all cast members and excellent direction.

There are some films for which monochrome is the ideal medium. This is one such.

As stated by other reviewers, the film should have touched on race hatred, as in the case of To Kill A Mockingbird, but did not. That is the only disappointing feature in an otherwise great production.

I would not pay the price demanded by this supplier as I consider it unfair. Perhaps Amazon will offer a copy at a more realistic price of, say, £5 in the future, in English. Then I would be happy to purchase a copy to add to my collection.

The Barchester Chronicles [DVD] [1982]
The Barchester Chronicles [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Nigel Hawthorne

5.0 out of 5 stars He added the 'E', 7 Jun. 2011
What ever became of Janet Maw!!? I saw her in the BBC production of Richard 2nd, and then the Barchester Chronicles, but very little else. Shame that!

Alan Rickman was inevitably going forth into a series of bad guy roles following his excellent performance here, as the odious Slop(e).

However, do not forget the equally excellent support from Donald and Angela Pleasence, Barbara Flynn, Nigel Hawthorne, Geraldine McEwan and many others. The cast list reads like a whos who of the great British acting talent of the 1980s.

Only those who have read Antoney Trollopes works could find anything to complain about in this excellent series.

I highly recommend this for all ages.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 4:50 PM BST

The Haunting [DVD] [1963]
The Haunting [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Julie Harris
Offered by hunting_for_a_bargain

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] [1963] (DVD)
Julie Harris is so highly strung in this film that you can almost hear her twang. Clare Bloom, calm and lovely as ever, is the perfect foil for this. Richard Johnson and Rosalie Crutchley are excellent in support. Russ Tamblyn disappoints.

If you have ever experienced a real cold spot, then the scene outside the nursery door will make your hackles rise.

Wise was correct in his choice of monochrome for this picture. It adds to the creepy atmosphere of foreboding.

The paranormal is a difficult subject to use as entertainment because we know so little of it. Either blood dripping fangs or decomposing bodies, somehow alive, seem to be the inevitable choice of many producers. Robert Wise did not fall for that with this film, which may disappoint some.

I did not know that Hillman exported the Minx to the US. Well, I don't think they actually did. This film was made in England, and errors abound as the crew try to make us believe it is set in the USA. After all this time, we should forgive them for that.

Look out for Bonds Miss Moneypenny, (Lois Maxwell), who appears in the latter part of the film.

Some of the other reviewers seem to have expected a little too much of it. I like this film. Scare the kids with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3