Profile for vbprogman > Reviews

DeWalt GOGGLE Concealer Clear Goggle DPG82-11D
DeWalt GOGGLE Concealer Clear Goggle DPG82-11D
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 May 2014
It is rare that I feel that I can award a five star rating to a product.

Not only are they comfortable to wear for long periods, but are lovely and clear to see through. I am sure that the impact protection would prove sound if an accident happened.

I will be buying a second pair for my father.

Printing Pleasure - Remanufactured ( 1 SET ) HP High Quality Ink cartridge HP23 & HP45 Remanufactured for HP printers Colour Copier 140, 145, 160, Deskjet 1120C, 1120cxi, 1125c, 710C, 712C, 720C, 722C, 815C, 880C, 890c, 895CSE, 895Cxi, Officejet 1170C, R45, R60, R65, T45, T65
Offered by Printing Pleasure
Price: 13.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not buy again, 19 May 2014
I will not be purchasing remanufactured ink cartridges or anything else of this nature again.

The sellers describe their product as 'high qauality.' I regret that I have to say that this has not been my experience of it. In fact, one star is more than I would award it, given the chance.

After about 10 sheets, the black cartridge dried up and refused to function. To date, it defies all attempts to clear it. This unit has probably been recycled so many times that it is just worn out.

My best advice is to buy new cartridges and re-ink them yourself when necessary. The ink and cleaners are available from Amazon and other good stationery sites. This can be done many times before they give up the ghost. Using printhead cleaners, like pristine fluid, can minimize loss of print quality and blockages.

When you cartridges eventually fail, just destroy them and buy new ones to replace.

USB 2.0 to Scart adapter , Easy Capture with EASY DVD Maker , easy recording from your TV / DVD / Video recorder , RCA Analog to Digital , rescue your VHS Cassettes , Video or Picture , inkl. Audio Video grabber

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 14 April 2014
The supporting application seemed ti install ok on Windows 7 32 bit. The files created from VHS got so big that they would not fit on a DVD. Lost interest owing to other commitments and never resolved this.

When the computer was upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, the software would not install and failed with a fatal error. Emailed the software creators, and they said that they thought that I was using a "Customized" version of the software. They seemed to wash their hands of my problem by saying that I should contact the seller. I see this as a cop out as they wrote the software which is bulk standard.

Because of this, I make no apology for giving a one star rating. If you produce a product with end to profit, then you should stand by it by resolving customers issues for them.

Storm Warning (1951) Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day
Storm Warning (1951) Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Offered by Great-DVD's
Price: 12.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Dec 2013
I recently had the chance to see this film again after many years, and continue to be impressed.

Singularly good performance by all cast members and excellent direction.

There are some films for which monochrome is the ideal medium. This is one such.

As stated by other reviewers, the film should have touched on race hatred, as in the case of To Kill A Mockingbird, but did not. That is the only disappointing feature in an otherwise great production.

I would not pay the price demanded by this supplier as I consider it unfair. Perhaps Amazon will offer a copy at a more realistic price of, say, 5 in the future, in English. Then I would be happy to purchase a copy to add to my collection.

The Barchester Chronicles [DVD] [1982]
The Barchester Chronicles [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Nigel Hawthorne
Price: 8.48

3.0 out of 5 stars He added the 'E', 7 Jun 2011
What ever became of Janet Maw!!? I saw her in the BBC production of Richard 2nd, and then the Barchester Chronicles, but very little else. Shame that!

Alan Rickman was inevitably going forth into a series of bad guy roles following his excellent performance here, as the odious Slop(e).

However, do not forget the equally excellent support from Donald and Angela Pleasence, Barbara Flynn, Nigel Hawthorne, Geraldine McEwan and many others. The cast list reads like a whos who of the great British acting talent of the 1980s.

Only those who have read Antoney Trollopes works could find anything to complain about in this excellent series.

I highly recommend this for all ages.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2013 7:20 PM GMT

The Haunting [DVD] [1963]
The Haunting [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Julie Harris
Offered by replay-international
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] [1963] (DVD)
Julie Harris is so highly strung in this film that you can almost hear her twang. Clare Bloom, calm and lovely as ever, is the perfect foil for this. Richard Johnson and Rosalie Crutchley are excellent in support. Russ Tamblyn disappoints.

If you have ever experienced a real cold spot, then the scene outside the nursery door will make your hackles rise.

Wise was correct in his choice of monochrome for this picture. It adds to the creepy atmosphere of foreboding.

The paranormal is a difficult subject to use as entertainment because we know so little of it. Either blood dripping fangs or decomposing bodies, somehow alive, seem to be the inevitable choice of many producers. Robert Wise did not fall for that with this film, which may disappoint some.

I did not know that Hillman exported the Minx to the US. Well, I don't think they actually did. This film was made in England, and errors abound as the crew try to make us believe it is set in the USA. After all this time, we should forgive them for that.

Look out for Bonds Miss Moneypenny, (Lois Maxwell), who appears in the latter part of the film.

Some of the other reviewers seem to have expected a little too much of it. I like this film. Scare the kids with it.

Father Brown [2009] [DVD]
Father Brown [2009] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alec Guinness
Price: 4.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Your face was old, but your hands were young, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Father Brown [2009] [DVD] (DVD)
A perfectly cast production, at last!

Alec Guiness, probably the best English actor who ever lived, and Peter Finch, certainly the best Australian one, (see him in Network, shortly before his death).

Except of course that Finch, like Guiness, was born in London. He lived in Australia from the age of 10, (How I wish that my 10 year old nephew would do that!).

Lovely Joan Greenwood and loveable rogue Sidney James are excellent in support.

The plot stays reasonably loyal to the book. However, If you like Chesterton's work as portrayed by film, television and radio, a read of the books is worthwhile.

My only complaint about this film is that it ends far too quickly. It is also reasonably priced.

Recommended for all ages.

Father Brown Boxed Set [DVD]
Father Brown Boxed Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenneth More
Offered by 101Trading
Price: 13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Read The Books, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Father Brown Boxed Set [DVD] (DVD)
I always felt that Chestertons Father Brown character should have had a sidekick to bounce his ideas off. Perhaps a young monk or a pretty nun. I loved these books, and read them in my teens when I longed above all to become a detective.

Clearly ailing, Kenneth More made a valiant effort to make the story lines interesting. I remember reading that he was reluctant to take the role as it did not fall in line with his on-screen persona. If my understanding is correct, then I believe he was right.

Lew Grade would have done better to cast Alec Guiness or Partrick Troughton for the role. Either would have given outstanding performances. Kenneth More remains one of my favourite actors of his generation though.

The recordings show the test of time. Expect an impression of VHS quality. They are, however, still watchable.

The supporting cast were good throughout. Look out for Alun Armstrong, in episode 1, (in my humble opinion, he is one of the best two British character actors we have still living, the other being Bill Paterson).

13 episodes are a strange number to produce. I wonder if Kenneth More's health was the reason that more were not made.

I recommend this set only for the superior content of the production. Quality of the recordings and price get a decided thumbs down.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 5:36 PM GMT

Murder Most English [DVD]
Murder Most English [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anton Rodgers
Price: 13.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Not their finest hour, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Murder Most English [DVD] (DVD)
The late Anton Rogers, a good actor, just appears to be going through the motions in this series. Perhaps a reaction to a disjointed plot line.

Christopher Timothy gives a most unpolicemanlike performance as a police sergeant, with his blond hair. I have known a few sergeants over the years and none of them behaved like him, thank God.

On the positive side, the late Brenda Bruce is her usual watchable and entertaining self. She lights up the four episodes that she appeared in.

Lesley Dunlop and Barbara Flynn are lovely as ever, but did not get big enough roles to make a success out of this series. I would have cast Flynn as the sergeant because the audience would never grow tired of looking at her.

I regret to say that I cannot recommend this, and the price is too high anyway.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2012 4:39 AM BST

Danger Man - Series 1 [DVD] [1959]
Danger Man - Series 1 [DVD] [1959]
Dvd ~ Patrick McGoohan

4.0 out of 5 stars The James Bond we did not get, 11 April 2011
I wonder if Patrick McGoohan was not offered Dr No because he would not do the bed and kissing scenes? If so, then what a waste! He would have been the perfect actor for James Bond. In this boxed set, I can only recall him kissing a woman once, and that was on the hand!

I prefer these half hour episodes to the later 50 minute ones, but that is just personal opinion. They are very well put together and do not appear rushed.

Look out for a brief appearance from Nyree Dawn Porter as a stewardess, and many other guest performances.

I recommend this set on entertainment but not on price which I believe could be a little lower.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 10:18 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2