Profile for StuartGreg > Reviews

StuartGreg (UK)

Under The Skin
Under The Skin

1.0 out of 5 stars Aimless and pointless, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Under The Skin (Kindle Edition)
{{{{{{ CONTAINS SPOILERS (WHICH YOU MAY AS WELL READ, AS IT'S QUICKER AND LESS OF A WASTE OF TIME THAN READING THE ACTUAL BOOK }}}}}}

Sadly, I have wasted a good few hours of my life in the past, thanks to my obsession with completing any book that I start (OCD, I'm afraid) but never more than when I tackled this monstrosity of a book. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the novel requires a level of disbelief suspension by the reader that can't be attained, no matter how hard the author tries to hammer it home by literally telling us over and over that the alien life forms in the book think of themselves as human, and that they think of humans as - well basically - animals, worthy of hunting. It is not enough to tell us this over and over again, in the hope that the reader will suddenly find himself relating to the novel's protagonist, Isserley.

Before reading the book, my brother-in-law (by whom it was recommended to me) had convinced me that there were surprises aplenty to be found in the book, and that there would be some fascinating twist at the end to enthrall me. I found none of that. There was this alien masquerading as a female human, using her 'charms' to lure well-built men into her car so that she could anaesthetize them in readiness for their bodies to be stripped of meat, ultimately to satisfy the strange culinary habits of some rich aliens. That is how the story had looked to be progressing from the beginning; and that is what was clearly shown to be happening by the end....No twists of any kind, just repetitive monotony.

Don't make my mistake and waste your time.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM GMT