Profile for Mr. R. Hossack > Reviews

Mr. R. Hossack

Page: 1 | 2
40 Pcs 1 Pin Male to Female Jumper Cable Wires 20cm Long
40 Pcs 1 Pin Male to Female Jumper Cable Wires 20cm Long
Offered by Mestall (Ship from HongKong)
Price: 1.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Over 3 months to arrive!, 29 April 2014
Took so long to arrive I had to source it elsewhere, so I don't know how good it is as I haven't used it (but it's only wire, so how much can go wrong)? By the time it eventually arrived I'd forgotten I'd ordered it, so bear that in mind if you're needing it within the same quarterly you order it!

Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens
Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens
Offered by A-ONE PLUS
Price: 93.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic in low-light!, 28 April 2014
I guess further praise for this lens is somewhat superfluous, but it’s a great lens for the price. It’s my first prime lens and it’s easy to see why they’re also called ‘fast’ lenses. I took photos in a room with no lights except the glow from a TV and at F1.8, ISO 100 and 1/8th shutter speed it was like taking photos with the flash – unbelievable. And for video it really shines – with optimum camera settings for video and some post-production the results are staggering!

DIGISTOR 25GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Blank Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack)
Offered by DIGISTOR Europe
Price: 17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars All good'uns so far!, 8 Nov 2013
I can't fault these so far. I've used 8 to date without any coasters (my Blu-ray drive is an LG BH10LS38). I haven't fully maxed-out any disc, but still put circa 22Gb of data per disc, which take about 15 minutes each to burn on my PC. As others have said, the longevity of them is still an unknown, but that can be said of any brand because BD-R is still a new technology; but on the strength of these thus far, I'll be buying more. Oh, and the delivery; I opted for the free standard 3-5 day and got them less than 48 hours later!

Neewer 5pcs 3.5mm Hands Free Computer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
Neewer 5pcs 3.5mm Hands Free Computer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Bargain!, 28 July 2013
I was looking for a lapel mic and, before I began looking, was expecting to pay 20-30 for a reasonable one, so was a bit surprised by the cost of this product. So I read the reviews and, at the suggestion of David, went over to Youtube to look at Big Eric's video review, which convinced me to buy. Anyway, the sound is superb for the price and is perfect for my recording needs and as clear as my Rode Videomic. And at 6.81 for five pieces you can't go wrong.

Zoostorm 7877-0095 Premium PC (Intel Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit) - Metallic
Price: 389.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 25 Jan 2013
My old PC died so I ordered this as it seemed very good value for the price. It was out-of-stock when I ordered but due in on 21/01/13 (a Monday). I only went for standard delivery but it arrived on Thursday 24th and would have been delivered the day before but the heavy snow prevented delivery on the Wednesday. The packaging was neat, sufficient and undamaged. All the leads from the deceased PC were ready to plug straight in and it booted up in no time. The fan is audible - just - and anyway, you mentally tune it out almost immediately. There are two convenient hand-screws to remove the side panel, making the fitting of a blu-ray drive and PCI Express card a doddle. So far, so good but now for big test (as far as I was concerned): how quickly could it render HD video? Answer: like the proverbial off a shovel! What a fantastic machine and less than 390 (when I purchased it). Highly recommended.

Family Tree Maker 2012 Platinum Edition (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2012 Platinum Edition (PC)
Offered by hixxysoft
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems, 7 Aug 2012
I've been running this software for about 6 weeks. I've never owned any version of FTM before but wanted a back-up copy of my Ancestry.co.uk tree on my computer. Having read some negative reviews on this site about it I decided that the 6 months subscription alone justified the cost of it, and so bought it. I can only speak as I find, but it works like a dream. Tree synching is really good but my favourite part is that once you've saved photos and census images etc. to your tree (especially photo hints online) FTM downloads them to your pc. If my pc were to crash then a re-install of FTM would soon have all those hundreds of images saved back onto my computer - brilliant. Can't see this being any better than any other tree software if you don't have an Ancestry.co.uk online tree, but for those who do it's a no-brainer: great back-up software and 6 months free subscription!

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11
Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Render Times, 31 Jan 2012
I found this video editor to be quite easy to use and with quite a few bells and whistles for the price; but be warned - the render times are painfully long. It took me me 3 1/2 hours to render a 1 minute 45 second clip and it wasn't even HD! It was MPEG2 and I set the render quality to 'match original footage'. The only effect added was the unsharp mask. My old Ulead Videostudio 11+, with its MPEG Optimzer, did the job in 6 minutes on the same laptop! I looked at endless forums thinking that it must be me not using the right settings, but the answer was always the same: with Vegas, you just have to wait...and wait...and wait.

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Brett
Offered by lightningdvd
Price: 43.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 19 Nov 2011
Jeremy Brett has set a benchmark that cannot be beat. Even the Watson character portrayed brilliantly by Burke/Hardwicke won't be beaten (the seamless replacement between one and the other must be the greatest re-casting achievement in the history of television).

If anybody is reading this then I'd like one question answered, which is: in the light of the pure brilliance of this Granada offering why does anybody (BBC take note) even bother making any more Sherlock Holmes films? To me, the only reason to remake anything at all is to improve upon previous offerings. But after the Granada production with Brett and Burke/Hardwicke this is simply impossible. God's teeth - even Conan Doyle himself couldn't have written his stories with anyone better in mind to play the lead than Brett! This is an `end of' communication. Brett has achieved the best portrayal of the Holmes character that will ever be acted, and he did it in this series. Leave it alone now. It can't be bettered!

Ex-Pro DV Firewire iLink IEEE1394 Editing Kit, including PCI DV Editing Card, plus DV Cable for connection to Sony Camcorders with DV Output for Video Editing on your PC. Easy Install [Suitable for Canon, Hitachi, JVC, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony Camcorders & more..]
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job, 23 Aug 2010
I bought this item in order to transfer footage from my MiniDV camcorder. Installation was a doddle! I didn't get much joy trying it with Corel (Ulead) Videostudio 11 but that appears to be a software problem (quite a few online complaints regarding Videostudio's capture mode), nothing to do with this item. However, it works superbly with Windows Moviemaker, and once transferred the footage can be imported into Videostudio (if that's your choice of video editor). Superb value!

Crusader
Crusader
Offered by MMT-UK
Price: 10.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Better With Time, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Crusader (Audio CD)
I'm going to buck the trend here. I was about 14 when Saxon first hit the charts. They seemed hopelessly outdated at the time, but I liked them nonetheless. I kept it under my hat of course, because Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, et al, had set the benchmark for this genre and Saxon seemed a bit puerile by comparison. Of course, as we all know, Saxon went on to become Rock Gods - but only with the passage of time. Everything Saxon does seems to be out-of-sync at the time they do it, but time always seems to favour them well. 'Crusader' isn't their best album offering but the title track is one of their best songs ever and, I'm afraid, more poignant today than it was on its release some 26 years ago: another example of Saxon non-synchronicity.

Page: 1 | 2