Profile for Ben > Reviews

The Woman in Black [DVD]
The Woman in Black [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars B prepared for many ghostly encounters that would leave any man left in a room alone terrified, 2 April 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black [DVD] (DVD)
This film is definately worthy of being a horror in my opinion and was more than suprised at the numerous amount of scary spine chilling scenes that progress throughout the film however I was actually suprised by some of the reviews other people have left for the woman in black regarding Daniel Ratcliff's acting. Since Daniel is only young himself in real life it was hard for me to see and accept him as a father with a child who was 3-4 years old and although I was seeing this I just could not digest it and thoughout the film felt like they should have chosen an alternative actor with a bit more experience, sorry daniel nothing personal!
Not only this I also found his acting quite wooden specially during his intreractions with the ghost. Any grown man no matter how bold or confident would be a lot more scared/terrified in any time period if they stumbled across what he did specially in a mansion alone with no one around for miles and when the woman in black fully appeared ... well i'll let you judge for yourself.

How did this film get passed as a 12a? surely it should have been a 15 this would give many young teens nightmares, although people may find it easier to watch on a widescreen telly at home than on a huge cinema screen with surround sound in the dark.

The ending was a suprise and I think there is room for an alternate ending when this is released on dvd.
I went in with low expectations to the amount of thrills and was left on the edge of my seat and would definately recommend to anyone for a good plot and people who are into jumpy films however if you havent seen the film and are not a huge fan of Daniels acting then I still recommend it as the films script and plot is strong enough to carry him and wish him luck with any of his next upcoming films.

Vanguard [DVD]
Vanguard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karen Admiraal
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry zombie fans but this will leave you disappointed!, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Vanguard [DVD] (DVD)
I hate to stereotype low budget films such as this one but unfortunately if you have no money to spend on special effects, make up, music, video editing or other essential extras you really need to rely on a strong script and good acting.( perhaps and up and rising actor?)
Unfortunately this is not the case as I could not get into the film at all and found none of the characters believable.
If anything there was times when I was left confused by the script, 'Rage crazed zombies' would bizzarly run past humans even after spotting them, characters said things that made no sense, the main character who is deaf speaks perfect english which is bizarre as in the first 40 minutes he says nothing at all, I even saw 2 cameramen in the background of just one scene.
As for the ending it was just as disappointing as the film.

There are so many problems with this film I would recommend giving this a miss unless you want to find out for yourself.