Profile for James > Reviews

Another Collection [DVD]
Another Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tsutomu Mizushima

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid atmospheric horror anime, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Another Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very good anime.
Fantastic atmosphere, a convincing Red Herring, an intriguing story (which gets unfair and unfavourable comparisons to another horror series), a solid animation budget, a fantastic score, interesting discussions and a bundle of shout-outs.
I have to criticise the English dub for lacking... passion; to borrow a popular phrase, it felt "phoned in". I also have a minor complaint about a (very) minor element of the plot. I can't go into detail, it would spoil. Put simply, to keep the mystery of the series in the dark, one character acts in a certain way which in hindsight seems unusual. This is either an over-sight and an out-of-character moment, or adds a layer to this character which was never outright stated. I'm going to be optimistic and assume the latter.
The ending is mildly divisive. It's a difficult series to end, and settles for a finale which is safer and certainly more action packed than it's earlier episodes. While some criticise this - and I'll admit it had a few problems - I think it was still a very good anime that ended strong, but not as strong as it had the potential to be.

I'm a huge fan of this anime; I have a lot of bias toward it and I could easily gush about Another for hours. if I were to go on my personal, subjective opinion I would give this 5/5 stars. However objectively I think I should give it 4 stars.

Aquaman HC Vol 01 The Trench
Aquaman HC Vol 01 The Trench
by Ivan Reis

4.0 out of 5 stars Put aside your scepticism and preconceptions, this is great stuff, 21 May 2013
I thought it would be a good idea to start my review by addressing what most people think of this comic's protagonist. Aquaman has quite a long history of being mocked.

So put aside what people say about him. Let me tell you about a fierce superhuman who can flip a truck... let me tell you about a heavily bullet-resistant super hero who can stand up to Batman without immediately regretting it. Aquaman (also known as Orin, or Arthur Curry)is a dry-humoured but considerate hero. He's not a boring goody-two-shoes, but he's not a heartless renegade either... tough but not mean, kind-hearted but not a wimp.

The story instantly addresses his reputation and acknowledges all the silly jokes people make about him. The writer wastes little time putting these myths to rest and brings the world up to speed with what Aquaman is actually like. The villain for the first part is an unsettling angler fish / humanoid species called The Trench which feeds on humans... or anything they come across, really. An interesting new enemy which presents Arthur with a tricky moral dilemma. The supporting cast is small; for the most part the story focuses on Arthur and his wife Mera (aka Aquawoman, a name she detests) and it's served the book well so far... but I'd like to see more characters in the future.

This was a very good read, but there is room for improvement. I look forward to the next volume.

Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls TP (The New 52) (Batman (DC Comics Paperback))
by Greg Capullo

5.0 out of 5 stars An original, intruiging story and a good starting point, 13 May 2013
I'd like to start this review by saying I've only really gotten into comic books in the last 6 months or so, meaning I can't tell you if Court of Owls rivals some of the classics that I've yet to read like The Killing Joke, or Dark Knight Returns... but it's the best written comic book I've read so far.

The Court of Owls introduces a brand new villain(s), which is apparently something rare these days... and they immediately make their mark by pushing Batman to his limits. But a new villain isn't the only thing this book brings to the table. Batman's inner monologues are a joy to read as he describes in great detail the city he knows so well, and his knowledge of it's history, architecture and more helps him unravel the mystery presented to him.

The art is something I find rather difficult to describe. Most comic books these days are drawn to look incredibly life-like, and I think this comic is better for NOT appearing too photo-realistic. While I would most certainly not call the art in this book "cartoony" or basic, it remains aware that it IS art, and moving away a little from an overly realistic style, it adds a flare to the work which strengthens an already fantastic experience.

I cannot recommend this strongly enough.

Justice League Volume 1: Origin TP (The New 52)
Justice League Volume 1: Origin TP (The New 52)
by Jim Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly underwhelming despite the plot's potential, 10 May 2013
This book - despite an occasional good laugh - is the second most disappointing comic book I've read. It feels incredibly dumbed down and ruins all the potential of it's synopsis. If someone told me there was a Justice League comic that told the story of how all the heroes first met and first fought a threat together, I would shout "WHERE?", but not now I've read this comic. I felt all the introductions were incredibly rushed. One would expect an endless amount of questions from Batman as to how Green Lantern creates his constructs. there are also a few later scenes where SPOILERS Batman reveals his identity for little to no reason, and keeps the cowl off for quite a while. END OF SPOILERS. The best comparison I can draw is that it's DC's version of the Avengers Assemble film. It's quite fun, but the closer you look the more silly, faulty and disappointing it is.

It's not a BAD read, it's ok... but it's just incredibly sad to see such mediocrity when it had so much potential to be great.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 1:03 AM BST