Profile for A. Stuhrmann > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
KitchenAid Flex Edge Beater for the KitchenAid Artisan Mixer
KitchenAid Flex Edge Beater for the KitchenAid Artisan Mixer

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely what you want in a scrap, 4 Mar. 2013
The product description lives up to its claims: "Great scrapping performance". Until I got my KitchenAid mixer this attachment I was at the bottom of my local KitchenAid fighting ring. I'd send my plucky mixer out into the dingy light of the streetlamp to take on a challenger in the ring of middle-aged housewives waving crumpled notes nicked from the tea kitty only to see it get beaten down by a newer model with the meat grinder or balloon whisk. It got so bad I owed several luncheons worth of sponge cake to the Winterton on Sea Womens' Institute and faced a visit from Shirley "The Egg Beater" Stapleton and her penchant for violating health and safety regulations as pertaining to fingers and whirring beaters. In desperation I ponied up for this attachment and the deities of cake mixing heard my prayers. My mixer went from a downtrodden also-ran to the rising star of the back-alley KitchenAid scrapping circuit. No scrap was lost and I soon was able to fulfill my obligation of sponge cakes and keep my fingers. The fact that I didn't have to spend ages scraping out dough remnants from the bowl was an added bonus.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2013 10:59 AM BST

Groom Mate Platinum Xl Nose and Ear Hair Trimmer
Groom Mate Platinum Xl Nose and Ear Hair Trimmer
Offered by Body4Real

5.0 out of 5 stars A MANLY solution for MANLY grooming issues, 7 Mar. 2012
As a MANLY MAN who enjoys engaging in MANLY pastimes such as bear wrestling, alligator baiting and extreme CROCHET, I find it is advantageous to keep oneself groomed well. A MANLY MAN's grooming ritual should include regular trimming of one's NASAL PASSAGES, lest one develop unsightly nasal hair droop. A real manly man should suffer NOTHING about his person to DROOP. While some MANLY MEN would tell you that the only way to trim one's nasal hair involves burning them off with HOT COALS or shaving them off with the tip of a Toledo steel RAPIER, these methods, while MANLY, are somewhat less than practical. Enter the Platinum XL trimmer, which can be said to be AWESOME. Why? Well for one thing it has XL in the name, which indicates it's SUPERIORITY over mere L or even M sized devices.

Made, as all MANLY ITEMS should be, from MANLY METALS, this device relies on pure MANLY muscle power for its operation. Any device that shuns batteries and allows a MANLY MAN to flex his MUSCLES and practice his DEXTERITY is to be lauded. The EXACTING manufacturing of this device allows one to firmly grip it in a MANLY GRASP and twirl the operating KNOB so as to spin tiny BLADES, which deal with the TESTOSTERONE induced sprouting of one's nasal hair. As mentioned, the lack of batteries means that no MANLY MAN will find himself in the unfortunate situation of not being able to TRIM his nasal hair during an ADVENTURE trek through wildest jungles due to a lack of POWER. The DISMANTLING of this device is simple, yet complex enough to satisfy minor MANLY urges to engage in MECHANICAL TINKERING. Apart from deep seated MANLY urges to dismantle things, cleaning of the Platinum XL also satisfies the need for occasional DEEP CLEANING of one's nasal hair leavings from the crevices of the device.

In conclusion, no MANLY MAN in need of nasal hair trimming should be WITHOUT the Platinum XL.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 5:14 PM BST

Faithfull Chisel Roll 12 Pocket
Faithfull Chisel Roll 12 Pocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile tool roll, 19 Feb. 2011
Well made out of tough material this tool roll is easily one of the better ones I have purchased, its manufacturing quality belying its low price. I have several chisels and files in mine and its standing up well to use. The zippered compartment is useful for storing protective sheaths from the chisels and files and there's two loops for pencils or similarly shaped objects as well. Rolls up nicely and the ties are long enough to accommodate the roll being bulked out by odd shaped tools or big handles. At less than a fiver its well worth investing in one of these to organise and protect your tools.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 9:17 AM BST

LaCie Rikiki 500 GB USB 2.0  Portable External Hard Drive 301909
LaCie Rikiki 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive 301909

5.0 out of 5 stars Technology can be beautiful, 19 Nov. 2010
I recently bought two of these Lacie Rikiki drives to replace two Western Digital Passport drives that were lost in a burglary. Actual formatted capacity is not 500Gb but 465Gb but that is still a ton of space. The cable you get with the drive is really quite short. If you are going to use this with a desktop PC rather than a laptop or netbook be prepared to root around for a longer USB lead. One thing to note about this is that not all PC USB ports are going to be able to power this drive through long cables. I'm using a PS3 controller cable at almost a meter and a half (!) with no issues, but as another reviewer has noted you may have issues with this drive and longer USB cables.

The build of these drives is rock solid. Beautifully finished in black anodised aluminium the casing is an excellent heat conductor. Thanks to the matt finish the case is also not a fingerprint magnet. The drives are near silent in operation and the amber LED on the front is not obtrusive or blinding like some of the blue or green LED's I have encountered on similar devices. Above all, this is a very compact, feather-light device that could slip easily into a pocket if needed. I keep both of my drives in one Caselogic harddrive case as they're small enough that each fits neatly into one half of the case along with its cable.

The two things that I could fault are that Lacie doesn't put any rubber feet on the drives, possibly to preserve the appearance of the case. If you put one of these cases on top of another and they move you get a really nasty scraping noise from the coatings rubbing against each other. In my case I solved this with a couple of small bits of gridding tape, more than enough to keep the drives apart enough that the occasional knock won't set my teeth on edge. The other thing I did not really appreciate is that until you use the on-disk utility to format the drive it does not register with your PC as 465Gb. A rather invasive and unnecessary additional step.

In the end though I am more than satisfied with these drives. They're eye catching, practical and apparently appealing enough that when I took them to work several colleagues ended up buying ones for themselves. :)

The Five Ghosts
The Five Ghosts
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting yet challenging, 19 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Five Ghosts (Audio CD)
In some ways Stars' albums are signposts in the life of someone growing up. Nightsongs had teenage adolesence daydreams and first stirrings of romance and coping with the feelings this arouses. Heart has the person being a little wiser, a little older but still coming to terms with how to interact with people. Set Yourself On Fire and In Our Bedroom After The War were Stars in their early twenties, full of university fervour, anger and self-discovery. And now the Five Ghosts. Stars have grown up and have found a niche for themselves. The sound and emotion evoked in this album is of a more mature person looking back with a wistful smile at their experiences of life so far and being comfortable with who they have become. There's a fair share of 80's-esque riffs (especially in Wasted Daylight and Fixed) but rather than cheesy these fit right into the mood of the songs and you find yourself humming along with no regrets. This is an album which, despite its darker undercurrent, is a very positive experience. In some ways a perfect soundtrack for exploring an old European city in the autumn or winter sunshine. Stars at their best and very much recommended

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, great connection options and well built, 30 Jun. 2010
I purchased these speakers to use with my games consoles and PC. Having tried using a small, cheap amplifier with a spare set of JBL Control One's before hooking up these speakers I was very surprised at the clarity and power of the sound they produce. I cannot comment on their suitability for professional music creation as I am using them only for gaming and watching movies, but for that purpose they are superb. Clear trebles, bass that is present but not overpowering and plenty of connection options makes these very versatile and well worth the money compared to other PC speakers. I've boxed up my Creative T20's and will stick with these Behringers from now on. They're compact enough to fit on my desk, have an internal transformer so no wall-wart or power brick to contend with and while there are only two separate input channels, the optical input channel also has a 3.5mm jack so you can actually hook up two devices to this channel, making for a total of three (RCA, optical and 3.5mm jack). Perfect for my needs.

Honeywell HT900E Turbo Fan
Honeywell HT900E Turbo Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars Moves air but falls apart, 30 Jun. 2010
Having purchased this fan to help cope with the hot summer we're having and the fact that there are a lot of devices radiating waste heat in my study I was initially pleased with its performance. However the negative points soon started to make themselves known. The base is made of plastic too thin for the purpose and wobbled a lot. The noise the fan made even at lowest setting was a lot louder than expected but given that it seemed to manage a decent flow of air I was willing to overlook that. However within two weeks of operating for four to five hours a day the ratchets in the hinge gave out so it became impossible to lock it in position. The power cable comes out at a 90-degree angle and the weight of this alone seems to be enough to pull the fan out of alignment. The operating noise has also increased dramatically, with a vibration buzz coming from the motor.

Yes, the price is low and it looks nice but you do get what you pay for. All in all I would recommend that if you want a small, powerful fan that will last more than a couple of weeks before you take it to the recycling centre for proper disposal you look elsewhere and possibly buy one which has more metal in its construction than this all-plastic disappointment.

Duronic HDS3 Mini 3 Port Gold HDMI Auto Switch PIANO BLACK 3x1 (3 way input 1 output HDMI Switcher)
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do, 17 May 2010
When I unpacked this device I was extremely skeptical but I was quickly proved wrong. Cables connect firmly so you don't have to worry about them coming loose from the switch and the switching happens quickly and painlessly. No problems with signal transmission or anything. I have the switch hooked up to a PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and it automatically switches to whichever device is switched on last. When you turn a device off, it switches back to the active feed from another device. So yeah, does exactly what it says on the tin and is extremely compact to boot.

Renkforce E-SA9 Mini Hi-Fi Amplifier
Renkforce E-SA9 Mini Hi-Fi Amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 17 May 2010
I needed a small amplifier to hook up to a PC, Xbox 360 and a PS3. This amp fit the ticket nicely, as it is truly tiny. Excellent build quality with a good solid feel and retro styling. I own a 1970's Pioneer amp and this looks like its little brother. :) Hooked it up to a pair of JBL Control One speakers and the sound took me totally by surprise. This amp manages quite a bit of volume and produces a crisp, clear sound. Another positive thing to note is the lack of a ground loop hum when the amp is turned on and plugged into a socket strip. The one thing missing is a dedicated heaphone jack, but I can live with that. One thing noted in an earlier review and that I want to reinforce is that this is a passively cooled amplifier and it generates quite a bit of heat when in operation. Definitely don't leave anything lying on top of it.

Because it might come in handy for others, here's the technical details from the manual. Don't let the low numbers fool you, this device punches way above its weight. Excellent value for money.

Output power: 2 x 12W on 4 Ohm / 2 x 10W on 8 Ohm (Surround 2 x 5W on 4Ohm)
Distortion factor: <0.1%
Frequency curve: 20-20,000Hz
S/N Ratio: >70dB(A)
Sound control: Bass +/- 10dB/100Hz treble +/- 10dB/100Hz
Channel separation: 60dB
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2011 5:08 PM BST

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and durable, 9 July 2009
I have been using the Logitech Illuminanted Keyboard for a couple of weeks now at work. It's replaced a Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard that I got because of my RSI. However I noticed that when using my laptop's keyboard I did not develop the usual pains and complaints in my arms and shoulders that would come with using a standard form-factor keyboard on a destop. So why not try a laptop-style keyboard for my desktop? The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is proving to be a comfortable and durable replacement. It's low height allows me to adopt a more ergonomic typing posture without resting arms or wrists on a surface. In fact this keyboard breaks with long-standing traditions and actually has a negative slope to the keys when it is resting flat on a surface. While not immediately noticeable, this small change contributes greatly to the comfort and ergonomics.

Short, responsive key-travel with a smooth action and just enough audible feedback make typing for longer periods very comfortable. Fast typists will appreciate this keyboard as it lends itself to high words per minute speeds. This is also a very quiet keyboard to use so it is perfect for the open plan environment in which I am using it or if it is going to be used in a common room at home and you don't want to disturb others. It weighs a lot more than its profile makes you think, which means it doesn't scoot around on your desk at every accidental bump. Its slim height means that it can easily be put out of the way if you need to reclaim some desk real estate.

The adjustable illumination is handy. In daylight or office lighting having the illumination at maximum means the characters are highlighted with a bit more contrast. At home where I tend to have lights on low the keys stand out clear and bright but not so bright as to be a distraction. It also adds a certain aura of sophistication to the device. This is definitely a keyboard that would not stand out like a sore thumb in a modern living room.

My one complaint is that to use media controls one has to install the Logitech Setpoint software. You then press and hold the laptop-style FN modifier key and press the F-key assigned to the function you need. Logitech has admittedly placed the media controller keys on the F9 to F12 row which means you still only need one hand to operate these (thumb on the FN key), but it is still a bit of an adjustment after having dedicated keys for this on my old keyboard.

That minor niggle aside (and I readily admit it is really more a problem of changing habits rather than with the actual product design) I am very happy with this keyboard. So much so that I have ordered a second one for home use.

Page: 1 | 2