Profile for M Kennedy > Reviews

Content by M Kennedy

M Kennedy

Page: 1 | 2
Noughts & Crosses: Book 1 (Noughts And Crosses)
Noughts & Crosses: Book 1 (Noughts And Crosses)

5.0 out of 5 stars as well as exploring forbidden love and friendship, 29 July 2014
I read this book as I am due to start teacher training and wanted to get as many of the curriculum novels under my belt before I start.

I have to say, if every youth were to read this novel, it may go some way to creating a more harmonious future for this planet.

At times, rather difficult to swallow, this novel analyses the futility of political and racial hatred. It exposes the nonsensical values of prejudiced people - and in a way that made me really think. By creating a parallel world, Blackman made me, a white woman living in western society, really *feel* the tough emotions dealt with by peoples all over the world, past and present, who are prejudiced against because of the skin they were born in. By turning the white community into the lesser ranks, the nobody's who are classed as non-citizens, she made a real impact on me.

The characters are believable, accessible and likeable. The storyline is gripping, and covers a whole range of emotions and awkward situations, as well as exploring forbidden love and friendship.

Full marks for me - I am already looking forward to discussing this with a classroom of students.

Don't let the 'teenage' tag put you off, if you are an adult reader, you will still find a lot in this book to associate with, and to enjoy.

Yoga for Real Life: The Kundalini Method
Yoga for Real Life: The Kundalini Method
by Maya Fiennes

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Maya, 29 Sep 2013
Maya Fiennes - what a find. I've purchased a couple of her DVDs and her CD of mantras, and everything about this kundalini yoga makes me smile. I wish I could be in a permanent state of the happiness I feel when I'm doing it.

10 x Etched Etch Butterfly Butterflies House Window Mirror Stickers ETBU10 Small
Offered by Easy Time Uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 29 Sep 2013
I bought these in the hope that if I put enough of them on my window then they would give me some privacy instead of net curtains. Let's just say, it did not have the desired effect, I bought net curtains and embarked on the hard slog to get these buggers off my window! Disaster haha.

Kundalini Mantras
Kundalini Mantras

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Maya, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kundalini Mantras (MP3 Download)
I just love this woman, she has changed my life. Buy the mantras, and have a go - it's such a happy thing to do.

Middlemarch (Oxford World's Classics)
Middlemarch (Oxford World's Classics)
by George Eliot

4.0 out of 5 stars A hard slog.... But worth it, 29 Sep 2013
I must admit, I found the first 350 pages a trawl (I'm having to read this book for uni). But, the good news is that by page 600 it becomes a page turner! Ha! The book turned up in good time and in excellent condition.

Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
by Sarah Ban Breathnach

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 Sep 2013
I bought a copy of this for my friend as she was feeling a bit down. I loved it so much I bought one for myself too, and have a little read each morning - it's a really nice way to start your day with a good vibe.

Read Write Inc.: Set 1: Speed Sound Cards
Read Write Inc.: Set 1: Speed Sound Cards
by Gill Munton
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning is Fun!, 29 Sep 2013
I love these flash cards, it's such a privilege to teach my son new things. He's 2.5 and we use these in the mornings in mummys bed before we get up. He loves learning. The illustrations are great, and will help them remember the shape of the letters because the drawings fit around the letters (difficult to describe). There is also a tip on how to make the sound of the letter and how to write the letter, which will be handy as he gets a bit older.

Far from the Madding Crowd (Oxford World's Classics)
Far from the Madding Crowd (Oxford World's Classics)
by Thomas Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 Sep 2013
Turned up quickly in great condition. As for the story, well - it's beautiful. I'm working my way through the 'Classics', and enjoying them immensely.

Alphabet Frieze - Cursive Script
Alphabet Frieze - Cursive Script
Offered by Primary Classroom Resources

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab!, 29 Sep 2013
This looks really good on my sons wall, each square is a decent size, I left it in the strips it came in, so it creates a fantastic big chart on his bedroom wall. He's 2.5 and we play some letter games with it every night before bedtime stories, and as a result he already knows quite a few letters, which is great for his age. He really enjoys getting them right too, I use this in conjunction with some alphabet flash cards and a electronic alphabet bus. He's my first (and only!), and I absolutely love teaching him things, it's such a fantastic privilege. The item turned up in good time and was easily fixed on the wall with blue-tac.

LOVE LIFE High Strength 5-HTP from Griffonia Seed Powder | 100mg x 90 Capsules | 100% Natural Serotonin | Premium GMP Supplement
Offered by Love Life Supplements

1.0 out of 5 stars No change in mood, and bad stomach, 29 Sep 2013
These turned up quickly, and the shape of the box meant it could fit through the letterbox, which is handy. I bought one for me and one for my boyfriend as we were both feeling a bit down and I remember from my clubbing days that 5HTP used to help with the aftereffects. However, these did absolutely nothing for my mood, but they made my stomach really ill, stabbing pains after taking them. I tried for 5 days and thought I'd rather try getting back to a healthy diet, yoga, long baths before bed etc than pop any more pills - and pleased I invested the time into myself as I'm feeling fine again. As for my boyfriend... Well, he said that they lifted his mood dramatically but that he too had bad stomach cramps after taking them. He said he'd happily put up with the pain for the change in mood. We split up a couple of weeks after ordering so I've no idea whether he's still taking them or whether they are still working. But, in my honest opinion, if a pill makes you feel violently ill, it's probably not good for you!

Page: 1 | 2