Profile for Natalie > Reviews

Cabbage Patch Kids - Styles Vary
Cabbage Patch Kids - Styles Vary
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Adorable., 21 Dec 2013
I think this must be the general listing for whatever Cabbage Patch range is out at the time. Reviews from last year are talking about ballerinas, cheerleaders, and mermaids and I was a little hesitant about ordering as there are some of the dress up dolls that I don't really like. I took a chance though, as the price was good and I usually love Cabbage Patch kids. The one I was sent (in common with most recent reviewers I think) was a 30th anniversary doll (one of those currently pictured on the page, at the time of writing) and she's absolutely gorgeous. She has curly brown hair with tiny streaks of pink, and is wearing a pink and blue dress with pink sparkly shoes. I obviously don't know how long Amazon will be sending out these dolls for, but I can definitely vouch for the quality of what they seem to be sending out right now.

The Night Rainbow
The Night Rainbow
by Claire King
Price: 10.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Character Voice, 8 July 2013
This review is from: The Night Rainbow (Hardcover)
I was looking for something new to read when I stumbled upon this book. It did more than impress me. The author captures the voice of the main character perfectly. I've seen a few complaints that the voice sounds older than the actual age of the narrator, but I don't think that's true at all. I can understand that you maybe wouldn't expect a five year old to express themselves so well, but that doesn't mean the thoughts aren't inside their heads waiting to burst out. In my experience children have very complex thoughts and experiences, and just because you couldn't expect a child to speak to you in this way doesn't mean that a writer shouldn't be able to voice that kind of experience.

This book was a truly refreshing read, touching on some tough topics but doing so in a way that doesn't make the book feel like a public service announcement or overly serious. It really took me to another place while I read it.

Hushabye
Hushabye
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.55

5.0 out of 5 stars For those looking for relaxation..., 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hushabye (Audio CD)
I had to write a review, because I find it suspicious that two of the low star reviews are using almost the exact same wording to recommend a 'rival' lullaby album. I especially find it strange that one of those reviews states that this album didn't send the kids off to sleep as well as the 'rival' album, when it was only released yesterday. In my experience, a one night test of sleeping music for children is less than reliable.

Now, veering away from the suspicion, to my actual review of the album. I first bought Hayley's music when I was around 11 years old, and she had her first international album 'Pure'. I've bought every album since (including her two Japanese recordings) apart from her last album 'Paradiso'. For me, Paradiso was trying too hard to make Hayley's voice something it isn't (although it's completely a matter of personal taste, and I admit to only having heard samples of the songs included. This album, to me, is reminiscent of her earlier work (although her voice has noticeable matured) and, more pleasing than anything else, it reminds me very much of her Japanese songs, which have always felt lilting/lullaby-esque to me. The clarity of her voice obviously comes through in this style of song, and her voice matches the relaxing style of a lullaby well. I can't comment on its use as a lullaby album for infants, but I can vouch for it being a relaxing listen in general terms.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 8:21 PM BST

Glee - Season 4 [DVD]
Glee - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lea Michele
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Season 4, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Glee - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I have to disagree with the other review, saying that this season has fixed what was wrong with the show in season 3. I think this season has been even worse than season 3, but that just goes to show that Glee is very much a matter of personal taste (perhaps more so than other shows-with a cast that's so huge, multiple locations, and music/choreography to fit in, it isn't as though just the plot choices are a matter of division, it all depends on music taste and character time).

Personal taste aside, I feel as though Glee has had very little plot this season. I was never a fan of Glee focussing on relationships back when it was just Finn/Quinn/Rachel/Puck, so I'm even less pleased when every single character is somehow part of a relationship plot. Yes, I want to see relationships between characters, but I want to see the characters being developed individually while in those relationships. I don't want to see a show that's all about hooking up/breaking up/cheating/sex/no sex/moving from one relationship to another; if I wanted that I'd watch the soaps. I wish there was more focus on friendship (actual friendship, not throwaway lines from characters I barely know about friendships being tested). I want to feel as though I'm watching a show with plot and continuity, not a show where a few lines between characters constitutes their plot for the week, and the rest of the time is filled with songs that seem to be included only to promote the latest chart releases. What happened to musical theatre songs, and championing old music? I feel as though Glee has lost touch with its roots, and it's tried to get them back by bringing in carbon copies of the original characters, but it's backfired greatly.

This will be the first Glee dvd I haven't bought, and I'm yet to decide whether I'll watch next season at all. I'm hoping they move away from McKinley, and I hope I get to see signs of a real plot happening in the last few episodes of this season. It's about time they made a commitment-move away from McKinley and focus on the lives of the original students, or stay at McKinley and really develop something there. The huge cast and scraps of plot are really not working for me.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 5:10 PM BST

Moonrise Kingdom
Moonrise Kingdom
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Movie, Equally Wonderful Screenplay, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Moonrise Kingdom (Kindle Edition)
I think it's unfair that this currently only has two one-star reviews, with the reviews focussing purely on the availability of this screenplay as an e-book and not a physical book. Personally, I'm thankful it's available at all, and it's a wonderful script to read through to get a feel of the movie again. It's atmospheric and very enlightening. Particularly good if you're looking to study film or writing in any way!

Me and You and Daisies (Taking the Long Way Book 2)
Me and You and Daisies (Taking the Long Way Book 2)
Price: 6.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written, 25 Mar 2013
I read a lot of lesbian fiction (well, as much as I can find) and the genre can often be hit and miss. There are some wonderful books out there, and some terrible ones. This falls into the former category, it's a beautifully written story of a girl coming to terms with herself, and it's also a wonderful romance.

Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
by Portia De Rossi
Price: 14.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, Beautiful Woman, 26 Jan 2011
This book is an amazing account of how an eating disorder begins and takes over someone's life. It's not only relevant to those who have suffered from eating disorders and those around them but also to anyone who has suffered from problems such as anxiety possibly as a sub-concious attempt to control themselves. To overcome the disorder, Portia had to be true to herself and find a reason to live greater than the eating disorder. It also mentions how her struggles with her sexuality ate away inside of her. I'm a big fan of Ellen and Portia anyway and this book just cemented my respect for them.

Measure for Measure (Cambridge School Shakespeare)
Measure for Measure (Cambridge School Shakespeare)
by William Shakespeare
Price: 6.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this book for A Level literature, 30 Nov 2010
This was the set text for my A Level English Literature and one of the best Shakespeare plays I have read. Very memorable story with points to discuss and explore. This edition is the best I have see for exams too-notes on the opposite page to the text so no searching.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Disappointed, 30 Nov 2010
I ordered this as it was one of the lightening deals on offer and my sister needed a bag suitable for A4 folders and other bits and bobs. I was assured by the reviews calling it one of the best bags people have owned, well made etc. I don't know what bags people have had in the past but I like my bags to have a solid shape-this bag needs something substantial in it to create any sort of shape, otherwise it just seems to flop. It's quite a flimsy bag-the material might be an okay quality and workmanship might be good but I would have expected more padding or a thicker material to hold the bag's shape.

Fly Away
Fly Away
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I Pre Ordered This Album, 6 Aug 2009
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
I am truly excited about this new release-All Angels aren't one of those groups which are pushed in your face until you're either fanatical about them or hate them. They seem to have grown on me gradually from their first album and it's much more about the music than the image which immediately makes them more appealing.

I've already heard many people dismissing this album as ''moving away from their classical roots'', however I don't see it this way. The reason I like classical and choral music is because of the voice types, purity, emotion and harmonies found in these genres. All Angels have all of these qualities so I know I'm going to enjoy whatever repertoire they sing (unless they decide to put electronic dance music behind it!!).

To conclude, if you have never heard All Angels give this album a try-their voices and harmonies are wonderful and their previous albums see to fit any mood-tranquil, meditative and cheerful!! If you have heard All Angels previously and like their voices for what they are and don't need them to fit into a particular genre of song then you don't need me to tell you the quality to expect.

Page: 1 | 2