Profile for Emir Allan > Reviews

Natural Therapeutic Pyramid Shaped Himalayan Crystal Rock Salt Lamp 2-3kg
Offered by Himalayan r0cksalt
Price: 26.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 8 Jun 2014
I already had gotten one salt lamp of random shape, which I liked but it really wasn't bright enough as a lamp.

I got this one to mix it up a bit, plus it's a pyramid shape which is always nice.

Compared to my other one, it is much brighter, and lights up my room like a lamp should. Atmospherically they look and feel great too. So much more relaxing than a regular harsh lamp.

I also have to comment on the de-ionization claims of these lamps... I initially discounted these claims and just got the lamps because they looked pretty and the light would be softer on the eyes (both true). But after using this pyramid shaped lamp I am convinced that the de-ionization claims are true. Shortly after switching the lamp on, I felt calmer and a sense of well-being, which is remarkable as I was in a bad mood at the time. I quickly felt more energized. After yet more hours I could definitely feel the difference in air quality. The air quality in my room was close to outdoor quality - which I'm VERY impressed by. I never open my window as I hate bugs so this is a huge benefit and will make a large difference for me, and will save me getting a separate de-ionizer. Mind, I use both lamps at the same time, and I am certain that the main bulk of the de-ionization comes from the pyramid lamp as it gets warmer than my other one (apparently the de-ionization occurs as the lamps warm up).

Counterknowledge: How We Surrendered to Conspiracy Theories, Quack Medicine, Bogus Science and Fake History
by Damian Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars Void of science or thought, 14 April 2014
What I saw in this book was abject rejection of anything even slightly outside the strictly-established norm, without any actual delving into the supposed "facts" of each thing on an individual basis. Non'o'that "consideration" nonsense - just shoot down complex issues in a quickfire way with little to no critical analysis. Tackling heavily scientific subjects in a sensationalist non-scientific way. Spending pages upon pages refuting/ridiculing ONE book, and then quickly bundling completely unrelated subjects into the end as if discrediting one thing means discrediting everything.

As a rule of thumb - I avoid sources which place a blanket rejection over things which THEY label as "conspiracy" or "quackery". These are emotive terms used to manipulate people into knee-jerk reactions and are never used by serious thinkers. Most of the time they are speaking from emotion instead of the reason and rationality that they claim exclusive sovereignty over. Any source which relies on manipulative language, ridicule and any measure of verbal abuse to make its case is an entirely bankrupt source unworthy of even a second of time, in my opinion and experience. This book ticks all these boxes.

The message of this book is pretty much "Institutions and corporations know the facts and you don't, so stop trying to think for yourself and just accept what you're told". History proves with endless repetition that established fact is always changing and what is established fact in one decade can become absurdity in the next. This book is already scientifically obsolete in this decade, in another one or two it will be a rag.

We can credit it with poking holes in the most obvious and crudest of theories, which anyone can do. We then go on to liken the most absurd theories (i.e. flat earth theory) with the most sophisticated ones, in a tragically unscientific attempt to discredit EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE.

Make no mistake, there is no critical or original thought in this book... it is confirmation bias personified. An exemplary example of emotionally reacting to things first and then seeking out the means in which to discredit it second, and the means we see here is poor quality in any case. The only way someone could like this book is if you already agree with everything in it, but if you're looking for genuine thought-provocation then you'll find nothing here worth your time. Look elsewhere for a book that teaches you HOW to think rather than WHAT to think.

Oudy by Al Rehab 35ml EDP Best Selling Perfume Spray
Oudy by Al Rehab 35ml EDP Best Selling Perfume Spray
Offered by Al Manar Books and Media
Price: 1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 April 2014
Not really much of a perfume enthusiast - I don't wear any and generally dislike them on others. I like fragrances for their uplifting qualities, so I generally use them in my home as a kind of air freshener to clear my head and uplift me mentally. I find that this one was a bit unpleasant at first due to an initial synthetic burst (I am sensitive to such things), but over time it settles and I began to enjoy the uplifting qualities. It does smell warm but I can't be more specific than that. Ideally I would like to find sharp, uplifting fragrances that smell completely natural, but this is the best I've found so far. I recently inexplicably lost it just as I was starting to use it more, so I've ordered more.

GR Lanes Lecisun 425g
GR Lanes Lecisun 425g

3.0 out of 5 stars For making Liposomals, 16 Mar 2014
I have used it successfully once with a near-100% encapsulation rate of Vitamin C. It can definitely get the job done, however...

These are granules and not a powder, so for the Liposomal process you need to incorporate the use of a blender in order to dissolve these. Even after that there were tiny clumps left but they didn't concern me much. I am going to attempt to grind this into a powder all at once so that I needn't use a blender every time I want to create Liposomals. If I can make it into a powder - then great. If not, then that makes it less ideal. Either way I will be looking to import proper powders in bulk next time. This product is the only option we have in the UK, and whilst it has proven adequate it is not ideal.

They taste OK. Nothing amazing, a sort of slight sweetly nutty taste.

EDIT: I have easily ground the granules into a powder, which took less than 5 minutes. However now the content has doubled in size and I must store it in two containers. Hopefully this will not impact the encapsulation process negatively, I will update next time.

JPL 7050 Ultrasonic Cleaner
JPL 7050 Ultrasonic Cleaner
Price: 37.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Liposomals, 16 Mar 2014
Sorry, not much of a jewellery fan here. but I use this little machine for making Liposomal Vitamin C and hopefully more stuff in the future. I've used it once so far and it seems adequate and up to the task.

I compared the specifications to a model that serious DIY'ers use in the U.S to make Liposomals and this machine outstrips their adequate $33 machine in specifications, size, usability, and overall suitability to the encapsulation process.

You can fill it up to about 16oz of liquid at a time, but no more. Using it couldn't be simpler - set the time and press go. The cycles go from 1.5 minutes to 8 minutes, and this is very handy. 2-3 cycles of 8 minutes each and you're in business. 4 cycles if you want to be thorough. I did 4 cycles initially and as near as I can tell I've achieved near-100% encapsulation.

The machine makes a strong buzzing noise when working, perhaps enough to frighten your cats and dogs. It is quite compact and easy to store, although a bit awkward to clean and especially to pour out the liquid without spilling. It appears to be of simple, sturdy design but I've owned it less than a week so can't state this resolutely. It is minimalistic which is always a bonus for me. Standard shipping was extremely fast as I ordered on Saturday and received on Monday.

EDIT: Apparently using it after the first time overtaxed the machine and it refused to work the second time. I have since returned it and gotten another. Another reviewer mentioned letting the machine cool down after each cycle before starting another. I am now doing this and it seems to spare the machine from overheating. How it will fare in the long-term, especially through summer, I don't know.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 2:28 PM BST

Organic Acerola Berry Powder 500g
Organic Acerola Berry Powder 500g
Offered by Buy Whole Foods Online
Price: 33.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Mar 2014
The taste of this stuff is good (for a supplement). Slightly tangy and sweet, it's easy to get it down you. The powder is very fine and is prone to flying about all over the place like chalk, so handle it with deliberation.

I have encapsulated it using the Liposomal process for Vitamin C absorption, and it seems to work well. The taste becomes slightly worse but still quite drinkable. By far the best-tasting supplement I have.

A decent Vitamin C content. Apparently organic. However I have no idea how pure the powder is - there is no statement of this on the packet, on Amazon, or on the company website. I assume it's 100% or close to it but I'd still like to know for certain. Overall a solid product with a solid Vitamin C content however in the future I might opt to import higher-content powders. This product seems to be the only real supplier for organic and possibly-pure Acerola Cherry Powder in the UK so that's something to be pleased with on its own.

My packet came with the powder all over it, and as it got wet it became sticky. This powder gets very sticky and stubborn when wet but it is easy enough to clean with some scrubbing.

Laser Twilight (formerly Laser Cosmos)
Laser Twilight (formerly Laser Cosmos)
Offered by Findmeagift
Price: 101.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 13 Mar 2014
Pros: It's pretty, moves around, can cover a large room for a more impressive effect.

Cons: Makes noise, especially the laser setting. Timer is nice, although ideally I think 3 hours would be more suitable. Cord is quite short. It's the best at what it does as these types of products are quite new, but I'd say 100€ is a bit too much. I'd go for 70€ max

Distilled Water - 5.5 Litres
Distilled Water - 5.5 Litres
Offered by Karowi
Price: 22.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Only choice for distilled water, 13 Mar 2014
Decent price for a bulk amount, unfortunately our only option in a country where distilled water is not sold at shops. Many DIY instructions on the internet are made in the U.S, where distilled water is as cheap and common as air. This can lead UK residents to believe that we can also buy distilled water in the shops - this is not so. Do not waste your time looking around the shops, unless you have some big DIY shops in easy reach, because you simply won't find distilled water there. For avid DIY'ers ordering bulk online is the only way. I am pleased with this large amount as it will last me a long time before I need to order more. The price is probably more shipping costs than the actual water itself. It is heavy and requires an adult to pour it.

JML Twist N Chop
JML Twist N Chop
Offered by CostMad-UK
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: JML Twist N Chop (Kitchen & Home)
This product is simply excellent at what it does. Couldn't ask for more. Saw them at Argos for a fiver and they're completely worth it.

I had recently started eating a lot of meals composed of raw vegetables or fruits and it was becoming such a chore to cut them all up that it was taking the same amount of time as cooking a meal (half an hour). And I am VERY adept and speedy at cutting already. This wee thing shortens and simplifies the process significantly. 30 seconds of cutting can now be reduced to 3 seconds or less, and you can make the pieces very tiny if you want simply by twisting it longer and faster.

So what does it work on? So far, everything. Garlic, coriander, onions, carrots, broccoli... it hasn't had any trouble with any of them. You can chuck the things in in any shape or thickness you want. As long as it fits you can slice it up in seconds. Even large pieces of hard vegetables like carrots are completely fine. You can make things like dips and chutneys in it if you want, I think, but if you want something really mashed you need to use an electric blender, but this product can come very close to mashed if you use it long enough.

I love it because it saves me time, and saves my hands from being washed too much/harsh acids from food. Obviously it's very easy to clean as well.

The key with this product is to twist it at speed. The blades are obviously sharp but not too sharp. Speedy twisting is what makes it work, and this can sometimes tire out your hand but usually you will have something adequately cut up before your hand gets tired.

Can't really think of any cons, I suppose the blade fixture is very flimsy and you often have to place food inside carefully so as not to displace the blade fixture. It's a bit of a curious design choice but it doesn't hinder much.

In all, a completely excellent product, Simple and effective, and cheap. Someone as good at cutting as me finds it very useful in the kitchen so I can imagine that most people would find it revolutionary. Highly impressed and highly recommend.

Improve Vision without Glasses or Contact Lenses
Improve Vision without Glasses or Contact Lenses
by Merril Beresford
Price: 7.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not everything, 11 Dec 2013
The book contains some eye exercises, which is what I was looking for, so I got what I wanted from the book. Overall it's a good book, one of those eye-opener types, but I feel it lacks in certain areas.

- It spends a long, long time talking about biology, the eye "care" industry, the various terms and definitions... this is fine, but if you're looking to improve your vision you don't necessarily need such a detailed understanding. All you need to know is HOW to do it. So this book is wordy and intellectually-focused, which can be good or bad. It's not until the halfway mark that any practical exercises are given. The book emphasizes the need to read and understand the initial chapters but honestly I think a lot of it could just as well be skimmed or skipped, especially if all you're after are the eye exercises.

- Very little actual advice on how to go about adopting better vision habits or even how to go about the eye exercises. I feel dissatisfied as someone with severe myopia (-10) who needs glasses on 95% of the time that the book hardly elaborated on how to gradually reduce dependency on glasses or develop better visual habits. It does state using your glasses as little as possible, which is easily available information, and also states getting a lower prescription. OK, fine, but there is little to no elaboration on this. Right now I'm still struggling to get a lower prescription and I wish this book has given a bit more advice than just throwaway sentences here and there.

- Little to no elaboration on the conditions needed for eye exercises to be done. I'm not sure if the book even states whether they should be done with or without glasses, which is a pretty huge point. I already knew they should be done without glasses, but the book should be clear on that. Absolutely no mention of light conditions or such; can I do these exercises in the dark or is that a waste of time? Can I do them on the bus or train where the environment is constantly shifting? No answers.

- I don't feel like the author(s?) do a very good job at explaining things, even the eye exercises themselves. Being a qualified and experienced scientist is all well and fine until you have to explain things to average people like me. I don't think the book does a very good job of relating to normal people and getting its concepts across. Even though they claim to have trained thousands of people in this program, I do not get that impression when reading this book. Someone who has trained thousands should have more insight and empathy into helping others understand their concepts more efficiently.

Overall the book is a good start, but as someone with severe myopia I feel dissatisfied and I still have to do a lot of research elsewhere in order to get the information and guidance I need. I think that a book written by people with such extensive knowledge and experience should have been more all-encompassing than this. As it is, if your vision isn't that bad, this book will do you just fine. I gave it 4 stars for effort and good intentions, but I'm not that satisfied with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3