Profile for G. L. Craig > Reviews

Offered by The Pi Hut
Price: 4.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily., 10 April 2014
This review is from: Raspberry Pi Camera Mount Bracket
The two halves didn't easily push together. I tried to force the base section on but it broke. I suppose I should have filed the excess plastic down a bit,to make it fit. I did end up using the camera part and bolts.

Raspberry Pi Camera Module
Raspberry Pi Camera Module
Offered by New IT limited
Price: 18.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality., 10 April 2014
I was impressed at the quality of this for the price. It's much better than a webcam. It's also possible to fit bigger lenses using a CCTV s-mount, though it's a bit tricky to unscrew this lens.

The Apartment [Blu-ray] [1960]
The Apartment [Blu-ray] [1960]
Dvd ~ Jack Lemmon
Price: 10.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the DVD, 26 July 2013
I though the DVD quality of this classic was not bad till I saw this. As a Blu-ray website review says, the picture has been well cleaned up and the sound improved. What does show up in the greater detail of Blu-ray is the fine grain of the film print. Looking back at my old copy, this seemed to have caused havoc with the DVD encoding. There were odd artefacts, especially on horizontals. This is fixed by this Blu-ray release in a much cleaner, more stable picture. The other bonus is that this disc has decent extras that the DVD does not. I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but the two documentaries are good. The only thing is that the film auto plays and I had to search about on my Panasonic player to find the extras (on a pop-up menu).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 2:26 AM BST

Garmin Glo Portable GPS and Glonass Receiver for Mobile Devices
Garmin Glo Portable GPS and Glonass Receiver for Mobile Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well., 4 Jan 2013
Works well with my iPad 1. Picks up satellites very quickly and in places where an ordinary GPS won't. The bluetooth has very good range too, and stays locked in.

Kriega DryBag US20
Kriega DryBag US20

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality bag, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Kriega DryBag US20 (Misc.)
Well made bag. Waterproof through the downpours of April 2012. Comes with a couple of straps to carry it off the bike. That makes it a good place to keep valuables. Works well as a tank bag. Big enough for an iPad. Just have to tuck in the straps or they flap in the wind.

Kriega Adaptor US Tank
Kriega Adaptor US Tank
Offered by Laguna Motorcycles Ltd.
Price: 19.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful kit., 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Kriega Adaptor US Tank
Works well enough to fit the US20 or US10 as a tank bag. The rear fitting uses Velcro to hold the straps to the tank below the seat. The supplied self adhesive Velcro is not the best I've seen. On the Triumph Tiger 800 it doesn't stick too well around the curved part, but so far hasn't come off. In use you have to loosen the rear a bit to fill the tank and tuck in the straps to stop them flapping in the wind. The instructions are tad confusing as the straps have been upgraded to ones with metal fittings. The advantage is that the US10 and 20 are quality bags that can be carried as a backpack when you stop somewhere for a visit, so it's a good place to keep valuables.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2013 4:47 PM BST

The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921]
The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921]
Dvd ~ Charlie Chaplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Better on Blu-ray, 10 July 2010
This review is from: The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921] (Blu-ray)
I was curious to see if a film of this age would look much better on Blu-ray, and I have to say it does. Of course it can't match the quality of later films, but you can see the resolution is still higher than you can get on a DVD. The Blu-ray sticks to the original film format, which I prefer. There's no stretching of the picture or cropping to make it fit a TV screen. Like most of these classic films, it has been well restored. The only flaws you can see are an occasional minor vertical scratch. It gives you a good idea of what this film must have looked like to the original audience. I'm finding films more enjoyable on Blu-ray. There's more detail, more to look at, bringing out things you never noticed before. They seem to have sorted out the problem of the missing DVDs with this series. The Extras are the same as those released on DVD before.

The Dish [DVD] [2001]
The Dish [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Sam Neill
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Great extras too, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Dish [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
As you can see from the other reviews here, a great little film. What I'd like to add is that it has some great extras that make this a real bargain. I've seen plenty of archive footage of Apollo, but I don't think I've ever seen the excellent launch footage included here. It's all taken from NASA and other film archive, not intercut with low quality video. It runs from the build up of the crowds at the Space Center to first staging, taken from an Air Force jet. I've never seen such a complete sequence. Also included are full versions of Kennedy's speeches and lots of interesting stuff on the space program and Parkes radio telescope itself. The audio commentaries are also worth a look. Overall a great DVD.

Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD]
Hail the Conquering Hero [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eddie Bracken
Offered by zoverstocks
Price: 3.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a better transfer, 2 Jun 2010
I'm not going to review the film itself, it's a well loved comedy classic. I really enjoyed seeing it again. What I have to say though is that the picture quality can only be described as adequate. At a guess I'd say it was made from an old master tape. What you get is something that is only slighty better than VHS with no extras. It's no match for the many old classics that have been restored, or even just re-transferred for DVD or Bluray. All of the Preston Sturges classics deserve a proper restoration.

Panasonic Lumix TZ7 Digital Camera - Black (10.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch  LCD
Panasonic Lumix TZ7 Digital Camera - Black (10.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery life is good, 25 Mar 2010
I have found this an excellent camera and contrary to some reports here I have had no problems with the battery life. I've taken many photos in a day and never run out of power. Unless you try to keep it powered up all the time I can't see a problem. I've even run mine several days on a sightseeing holiday without charging. I like the feature to program in the timezone and date of your holiday and have the timestamps set correctly when you arrive. It takes good video too.

Page: 1 | 2