Profile for Andy Dextrous > Reviews

Content by Andy Dextrous

Andy Dextrous (Bath, United Kingdom)

WWE 2K16 (PS4)
WWE 2K16 (PS4)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh the good ole days!, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: WWE 2K16 (PS4) (Video Game)
I'll try and be as balanced as I can with this review and as a result his is definitely IMHO.

I'm beginning to wonder if the W2K series of games is a blatant attempt at a cash in or due to some rather extreme stipulations enforced by WWE 'government' for allowing us punters only a slight improvement as each year and game pass by. It makes good business sense - after all what would be the point of producing a perfect game that had everything where the only improvements year on year would be an ever changing roster and set of legends which could halve the development team.

The problem is where there are some improvements over last year the game still doesn't deliver what was released on the best versions of similar titles on last gen-consoles, in terms of gameplay/options.

It seems every year they trickle through a few additional features and give more focus to graphics and roster, even though this year's contender doesn't appear to be that much of a dynamic improvement over the last, visually. It probably is the biggest roster ever but it seems that more time is spent on this than the game dynamic.

Great to see the creation mode gaining ground, but let's face it, it couldn't possibly get any worse than last year and as a result it's still way behind similar games that were out 4 or 5 years ago on last generation systems. The hair for example would be more fitting on an Atari ST or Minecraft, not a high powered next gen console offering memory, power and the potential of photo realism and there is still a shockingly poor selection of outfits available in creation suite. It all feels remarkably uninspired tone could almost hear the developer's conversations, 'do we really have to put this in the game?' - 'Oh, go on then if we must!'

In some cases the outfit outdatedness could be inspired by 1970/80's or actually, being realistic clothes shops of 2015 Camden. Again there was far better options 5 years ago and although the graphics weren't up to much, they were certainly the best possible for the time. Edit Layers seems to have taken a turn for the worse in it's remarkably selective nature (in some cases you can't have socks and shoes which sounds like something out of a Samuel Pepys diary entry and this year there seems to be far too much emphasis on face dynamics, to the point of even being able to adjust the top right length of one's eyebrow, while the rest of the creation suite elements were thrown in from a few left overs at last weeks' car boot sale (in Camden).

My other gripe is that although there is a decent option to share videos and screenshots this is let down tremendously by a lack of match replay editing meaning that any video you post will be created purely by the camera settings mode - so much for let's get creative. I know this was picked up on by the developer but again this option appeared in much earlier generations of the game, so why not here?

On the plus side the game is very playable, although I'm not completely convinced by the pin kickout 'mini game' which is best described as good for anyone blessed with lightning reflexes. Personally I prefer the old style button mash but there you go, each to their own. The AI is good as always and there is good game flow even though some of the moves still look a bit weak.

Options and gameplay modes are OK with some good match types thrown in. You can even create your own ring and entrance but wait a minute, wool over eyes again, these are not actually new options at all, over last years' game certainly, but not on last gen or previous versions.

Overall still a disappointment in the franchise and the only way the proverbial socks could be pulled up (no, not by allowing shoes as well) is if the next incarnation can reach the gameplay creative features of the past with next gen visuals. I've been as fair as I feel I can be with this review and no matter how hard I try I just can't bring myself to give this 3, as for me it's simply not above average in light of what's been done before.

I have faith that the next incarnation will be a fusion of the best elements of the past (lost in the past few years) alongside a natural future evolvement.

Access 2010 All-in-One For Dummies
Access 2010 All-in-One For Dummies
by Alison Barrows

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best Access Learning Guide Out There, 28 July 2013
Having been an Excel operator and modular systems designer since literally the year dot (dot being the little blip on the horizon where Multiplan gave way to the more widely recognised windows spreadheet).

Whereas excel is a blank canvas just waiting to be sprayed on in an extreme range of tonal complexity I realised that Access requires a little more thought before diving in to system technicalities. This is the reason I invested in this guide in the first place to get the so called 'database' mindset, but also to gain knowledge of the technical stuff to follow through from the start to end of a project. This guide offers a great introduction to the system yet in it's book within book format it is possible to jump to sections that would be of particular interest at a given moment. A good example of this is as follows:

I've recently taken on a project at work converting some old excel (and rather technical spreadsheets) to Access. Having made a note of all the cells and their functions, after a quick 'brainstorming' session with the guide, I found that I could achieve an exact replica of the spreadsheet on Access. I'm still yet to load Access and use it but at least I know it can do the job effectively - this is particularly handy because at least now I can report back these findings to hopefully move to the next (and first) stage of database development.

This book is an extremely handy guide for the novice but I can also see it being an excellent reference for the more experienced user. I did invest in the Access VBA programming dummies guide at the same time as well as I know that will also enter the mix at some stage.

This book will definitely be my partner through this and many other Access projects in future and it comes highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Piece Of Kit At An Aoofrdable Price, 28 July 2013
With a photoshoot arranged at an abandoned location I began searching for a flashgun that would work in perfect unison with my somewhat aging Canon D50. Sometimes it's difficult to know where to turn as a lot of 'guns' on Amazon come with great reviews. However what immediately struck me about this was the button layout and visual display which I thought would be particularly effective out in the field. From experience it's good to have a piece of kit with an easy/instant display and one that offers quick functionality - to have a flashgun that is able to keep up with the ever changing requirements of it's user let alone the environment makes this one effective tool.

Having not had the proper time to read the manual this kit was remarkably easy to use out in the field from the offset and produced amazing results. I was a little concerned about the batteries at first and wondered how long each set of four AA's would last. At my first session I got a clear 500 pictures before changing, which has remained fairly consistent so far through 3 sessions.

This flashgun really does makes light (no pun intended) work of any situation, no matter how challenging.

Most Haunted: The Official Behind-the-Scenes Guide (Living TV)
Most Haunted: The Official Behind-the-Scenes Guide (Living TV)
by Yvette Fielding

1.0 out of 5 stars MH - The Truth & The Light, 19 Oct. 2009
Considering some of the other reviews here it would seem that this book is the holy grail of all things paranormal entertainment or if not then at least an everlasting souvenir from a programme that has at times been hailed as one of the best TV comedies of the past half decade. I agree that for devout fans of the programme it is an essential product that fits exceptionally well with the team's approach, but to serious investigators it would be about as collectible as a 1970's discarded wooden toothpick.

Having fully read the publication, in the most part it replicates what has already been reported on screen and overall it seems a bit of a rush job. Apart from the front and rear cover photographs 90%+ of those within the publication are limited to nightvision camcorder stills.

Now let's look at things another way. How about those of us who investigate for real, those of us who report only the truth and have a genuine passion for the subject without the need or desire to make a single buck from it? We are all aware of the countless exposures connected with mediums and experiences on the show but now what we have here is something different, the research.

Through research this end I have managed to dissect the history reported regarding one of the investigations which has lead to revelations regarding this book and one of it's chapters. To me it has somewhat devalued the publication and it's contents and as a (non professional) historian to provide false historical information in written form is a travesty.

I have personally only conducted events at a couple of the locations placed under MH's scalpel and through reading it so far I have found discrepancies with the reported history regarding Craig Y Nos in fairly much everything that was printed about the location in the book. For example we are lead to believe that Madam Patti was to be buried alongside her beloved Gioacchino Rossini in 1919 but that the union was to be short lived as Rossini's body was reinterred and moved back to Florence. Surely then this leads one to automatically think this would be sometime post 1919. In fact Rossini's body was actually moved back to Florence (Santa Croce) from Pere La Chaise Cemetery in Paris 32 years prior to Patti's burial there. Then the alleged love affair which was just pure admiration and nothing more. The age difference between Patti and Rossini being a staggering 51 years. Her age of time of death was 76 not 79 and medium Deerk Acorah was more accurate in his reporting of this too during the show. Maybe this is the only discrepancy in the book but I will admit that a lack of time has prevented me from being able to report further on other chapters.

In a nutshell I can only ever see this publication being of use to devoted fans or those that have just a pure interest in the show, it's characters and their experiences but it's just not recommended for genuine paranormal investigators due to it's reported inaccuracies within. Chapters are satisfactory but informative, focussing more on investigations and experiences over history and written for easy reading. As one would expect there are also numerous team interviews and brief explanations of basic paranormal terminology.

For those favouring the real aspects of paranormal investigation I have to recommend bypassing this one.

Moustefad N. Steak

The Kult
The Kult
by Shaun Jeffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Kult Classic From UK Horror Author Shaun Jeffrey, 31 July 2009
This review is from: The Kult (Paperback)
Let's face it, there are many authors out there these days, how on earth do you chose something new from what is consistently being thrown at you as the next best seller, or not to be missed from X or Y?

As you trawl the book shelves in search of the book that warrants your hard earned cash the answer is actually easier than you may expect.

I first became aware of Shaun's work a couple of years ago through Voyeurs Of death which was a collection of short stories, a different formula than his latest offering.

The Kult focusses around a serial killer named the Oracle with a rather creative mind but be warned this is not your average thriller or horror book. Shaun has an ability through his unique use of creative wording to once again produce something that is instantly accessible, enjoyable but unnerving at it's very core with incredible twists.

Shaun's work really is one of the best visual experiences you could ever expect in textual form. I really hate to use this ciche but The Kult genuinely is impossible to put down and the only to way to explain this effect is to find out for yourself, because I know for sure that you will not be disappointed. Move over Mr King!