Profile for J. J. Powell > Reviews

J. J. Powell

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Stanley 197475 Folding Metal Leg Saw Horse Twin Pack
Stanley 197475 Folding Metal Leg Saw Horse Twin Pack

1.0 out of 5 stars These saw horses on paper seem like a good idea, 24 Jun. 2015
These saw horses on paper seem like a good idea. Something to be stored away taking up little in the van but useful if you need to have a quick bench. However they are made so poorly and cheaply they are not fit for purpose. The retaining clips to hold the legs in broke at first use and the flimsy cross pieces which hold the legs apart are so pathetic it beggars belief. You could perhaps use at a local fate to sell some cakes but to cut timber on you must be joking. The previous reviews who have awarded this product more than one star must be used to using the most poorly built items or that they actually work for Stanley. They continuous drive by company accountants to increase profit margins by forcing engineers to design everything as cheaply as possible never ceases to amaze me. They know of course there will always be a few idiots who think they are getting a good deal.
Buy some 4x2 and make your own..!

Nikon Coolpix S9600 ( 16.76 MP,22 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )
Nikon Coolpix S9600 ( 16.76 MP,22 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )

3.0 out of 5 stars No wireless....!!, 20 Jan. 2015
I've only had this camera for a couple of days so its too early for a proper review. But my first impressions are that is does everything pretty well. It feels well made and slips into your pocket easily enough. Close up work is easy and it focuses really close to an object. They only gripe I have so far, and this is the reason for writing now, is the wireless option on this phone. The software doesn't work with Android 5 of which my phone was updated automatically (nexus 4) in November. So as far as I'm concerned it ain't wireless. As far as I know nobody else has written a compatible app. I know Nikon are always a bit rubbish when it comes to software. In fact I bought a canon DSLR a few years back instead because of poor and expensive software from Nikon. They are continuing to sell a newer model of this camera the S9700 which of course still uses the same software claiming it is wireless. They need to pull their fingers out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2015 11:44 AM GMT

900 x 760 Quadrant Easy Clean 6mm Glass Shower Enclosure with Tray + Free Waste
900 x 760 Quadrant Easy Clean 6mm Glass Shower Enclosure with Tray + Free Waste
Offered by iBathUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong shower tray, 11 Jun. 2014
Although this screen will fit a normal quadrant tray it will not look quite right. I unfortunately found this out to late. I put the tray in and oak floored up to it will all the waste in place. What I'm really fed up with is the company Ibath .Despite me ordering the shower surround and the tray together did not point this fact out. The shower is supposed to go with a bow fronted quadrant. In the picture it shows the screen mounted on an ordinary quadrant tray and the bundled tray they ask you if you want to include is also the wrong type. Of course right down at the bottom it does state the type of tray you should have. When you look that up its a £170.

I am going to have to live with it and hope it doesn't piss me off for the next twenty years......

Miele S6220 2000 Watt Cat and Dog Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Tayberry Red
Miele S6220 2000 Watt Cat and Dog Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Tayberry Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont believe the hype, 20 Sept. 2013
As the other reviewers who only gave this vacuum cleaner one star we have had this for a while. To begin with my wife was made up with it. Small and powerful.
However the design fault lies with the HEPA filter which pops out continuously then the machine overheats and distorts the lid. That in turn affects the on/off switch which ceases to work. As somebody else said you then have to hoover with one foot on the machine and then hop round the house. Not easy on the stairs.
We have been on to Miele who tell us to send the machine back to them but we would more than likely be charged £92 for the courier because the fault lies with us and us not changing the filter. Well we have been through 5 filters at £18 a pop. Then they said we must have a dirty house or have building work. (Why didn't tell us that the hoover only works in houses that don't need cleaning when we bought it.
I'm afraid that although Meile have a good reputation their stuff is very expensive so it needs to be bomb proof.. If you're just about to buy one of these I would think long and hard. The five star reviewers must of just got these out of the box, wizzed round their tiny already spotless bungalow and then a little too eager to give a review.
We have just bought a 'Henry' for the price of the courier charge back to Meile and I know these hoovers last and last because I've been using them at work for 15 years on building sites!!!!.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 1:00 AM GMT

Chalky White's, The 7 Secrets of Skiing
Chalky White's, The 7 Secrets of Skiing

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me...., 18 Feb. 2013
I'm sure Mr White is a great ski instructor but I hated the writing style of this book and to be honest could not finish it. Ridiculous metaphors and acronyms which distracted me rather than help me improve. Long convoluted paragraphs over labouring the bleeding obvious. I sorry I wanted to like this book and didn't so my search for a good reference book on skiing continues....

Also I would like to point out that I'm not convinced that all of the gushing reviews are entirely genuine..They seem to sound a bit like they have been written by friends while being dictated to by chalky himself....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 12:55 PM GMT

Leatherman Skeletool Multi-Tool
Leatherman Skeletool Multi-Tool
Offered by MKS-Timeless OG

5.0 out of 5 stars Less is more, 12 May 2012
This multi tool is perfect to carry everyday. Its light and has all the essentials, a knife, pliers, screw bits and of course the bottle opener. It looks superb and its made beautifully. I dont want to walk around with a monstrous multi tool that pulls my trousers down and has loads of tools that are hardly used. Trust me this is all you need, get one.

Having now used this tool for a month all I can say is I'm delighted with it. Its constantly with me and used several times a day during my work as a builder. It does have a pointy blade, but unlike another reviewer who is obsessed with being challenged by the police, I dont expect to have any problems with that as I'm 52, not in a gang and live in a rural area. I don't have a problem with the pliers being uncomfortable because of the screwdriver bits. Also having the choice of screwdriver bits which could be replaced if they wear out is brilliant. I think that its unlikely for them to be lost as the storage place seems quite secure to me.

Overall, I cannot fault this tool. I also have a Gerber suspension, which is ok, a Leatherman crunch which is nice and a Buck Xtrac which has an interesting design but with useless pliers. The Skeletool is the one I now carry cant say more than that.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars chunky wallet, 3 Mar. 2012
If youre looking for a wallet that has a zip closure then this is for you. I'm a builder and my cards were always getting very dirty and scratched. This is ideal for that. It must be said that its fairly thick but I'm ok with that....

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best present ever!!, 19 Dec. 2011
My son was given this on his 6th birthday. He and his friends (8 x 5 and 6 year old boys!) created stickers for the entire duration of the party! It kept everyone quiet then and continued to keep him, his friends and his little girl cousins quiet for years afterwards. He is now 12, and I finally threw out the remnants just a few months ago when I had a sort out of his room! Really good value for money and goes down really well with boys as well as girls!

Dimplex Bach 2 KW Wall Mounted Electric Fire
Dimplex Bach 2 KW Wall Mounted Electric Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not perfect., 2 Nov. 2011
I have just installed this fire and it looks better than I thought it would so I'm really pleased with that. This fire is installed in a purpose built wall so that it would be recessed and the cover would fit snug to the wall. But the quality control at Dimplex is not as it should be because the hanging flanges on the side are not quite in the right place. This left a gap between the outer cover on the wall by 6mm on one side and 4mm on the other. Picky I might be but I wanted it flush. So I had to dig out the wall around the flanges to set them back into the plaster.

It now looks good but why cant these things be built properly in the first place.

By the way, it is not silent...When the blower is on you can obviously hear it but on display only there is a slight rumble...These sounds are not intrusive and I can live with them.

Overall I think it is a good buy, time will tell over its reliability. Don't let me put you off buying one but if your getting it recessed expect to play around a bit to get it sitting perfectly. Why you would mount it without recessing seems weird to me. It would stick out a mile and you see all round behind the flange cover.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2012 12:22 AM BST

Rolson Tools 36014 Nine Function Hammer Multi Tool
Rolson Tools 36014 Nine Function Hammer Multi Tool

1.0 out of 5 stars good idea but poorly made, 24 Aug. 2011
Its a shame that this tool is so poorly made. I know its cheap but it really feels it. You can wobble all the tools when they are extended. Only the hammer is any good.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3