ARRAY(0xa60ee2dc)

Profile for Stephen Parker > Reviews

Content by Stephen Parker

Stephen Parker (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Asus VS247H-P 23.6-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (1920x1080, 2ms, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, Splendid Video Intelligence Technology, Full HD with HDMI)

2.0 out of 5 stars not 1200 pixels, 21 Oct 2013
This monitor has been wrongly advertised for months now, and it needs to change. It is not 1980 by 1200. The text description confirms that it is 1920 by 1080. The photo confirms this as well.
I'm specifically searching for a 1200 monitor, and this keeps coming up in the results, and it's very annoying.

PowerBee ® Endurance Deluxe Solar Fairy Lights 240 Quality Superbright LED's Multi Function Indoor / Outdoor Garden, Party, Tree Lights for ALL YEAR round use including winter
Offered by PowerBee Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper lights!, 27 Sep 2013
I love solar lights in my garden, but the cheapie types from petrol stations and discount sellers don't have the brightness or battery life that I'm looking for.

I had a 100 led PowerBee fairy light string about 18 months ago, and it was exactly what I wanted until I ran over it with a lawn mower. Until that small accident, they were bright and lasted all night in summer, and past bedtime in winter.

So I pushed the boat out price-wise, and went for this 240 string from Powerbee. It's a proper man's size solar collector, with a big powerful battery, and having the long string meant I can light up a big chunk of garden. Everything is well made and has a real quality feel (unlike the petrol station small string I bought for £6 which didn't last very long at all). So far I've been happy with the lights and the service, and I expect it will last as well as my last Powerbee set.

Vax U88-AM-P Air³ Pet Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U88-AM-P Air³ Pet Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Hughes Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars doing a great job, 27 Sep 2013
It picks up so much more than our previous Meyle cylinder unit. And it's so much easier to use.
My daughter was intensely frustrated when using the previous vacuum, because you have to drag it behind you, and it gets stuck, and the suction, although high, just didn't pick up well. Maybe it was because the cylinder machine didn't have the rotating brush that the new Vax has.
All that has changed now. The Vax is light and easy to manoeuvre, and cleans better. Everyone is happy.
The special dog hair turbo thing hasn't been used at all. There is just no need. The standard head copes with the hair of our two dogs very well.
Having the longer lead is good, as we can cover more ground without having to move the plugs. We do have a large open plan space, however, so the extra length won't be necessary if you have a more traditional room division.

BT Paragon 650 Telephone Answering Machine - Black
BT Paragon 650 Telephone Answering Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars the poor reviews are misleading, 27 Sep 2013
I was recommended to buy this phone by the company who supplied my hands free equipment. I needed a reliable phone with a decent answer machine, and my existing machine was failing, so I took a gamble to follow their recommendation (after all, they are an office phone specialist) and ignore the very negative nature of some of the reviews here on Amazon.

Phone arrived, set up quickly and intuitively, and is working perfectly. Here is my response to the criticisms of some reviews:

1. Ring tones - plenty loud enough.
2. choice of ring tones - there's a wide variety, but they are the polyphonic and musical types, which is weird after you've had a bell sound for a long time. I don't like them, but I also don't like the ring tones on my mobile. The current vogue is for musical tones and I don't like it, but it's not a problem. I'm getting used to the musical tone rather than my previous ring sound
3. clarity of calls in and out is good
4. the phone rings when the call comes through, and stops ringing when call is cancelled - I don't see any delay
5. the answer machine is a lot clearer than my outgoing machine, which tended towards blurring and distortion

I don't intend to use the Sim interface or the caller ID functions or the memory or the text function, so can't comment here. I keep my numbers on my computer Outlook, so don't need them on the phone. I've got way more than 200 anyway, so no point in trying to load them to the phone.

I'm very happy with the phone. It works perfectly, looks smart and professional, and the menu interface works well

Bosch Isio Cordless Li-Ion Telescopic Edging Shear
Bosch Isio Cordless Li-Ion Telescopic Edging Shear
Offered by RAI Technical Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars so much quicker and easier, 12 Jun 2013
The extension handle makes it more tricky to use, but hold it in your hand and get down on your hands and knees, and it works a treat for edges and trimming.
Battery holds plenty enough charge for our medium sized garden, and it cuts cleanly.
So much easier than shears, and much less messy than a strimmer.

TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router
TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router

2.0 out of 5 stars worse than BT Homehub 3, 12 Jun 2013
I read reviews that led me to expect that this would improve on my existing Homehub 3, but it didn't.
It was a bit tricky to get it to wok, but after 10 minutes I figured it out.
It turns out that it doesn't have Gigabit connection, whilst Homehub 3 does, so wired speeds were down straight away.
In addition, the wireless N signal didn't reach as far as the Homehub 3 N signal.
Sadly, I was forced to return it as not meeting expectations. It works fine, but it wasn't as good as my Homehub 3

UV Protection Oil EXTRA 420 Clear Satin-Matt 2.5 Litres
UV Protection Oil EXTRA 420 Clear Satin-Matt 2.5 Litres
Offered by New Venture Products Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars quick deliverey, 18 Sep 2012
Osmo oil is so easy to apply. You don't need to mask up, because it's almost colourless, and you don't need to sand it prior to the next coat. After a few years, when you need to recoat, you simply wipe over with a damp cloth, then paint on the oil.

I like the fact that it doesn't stain the oak. I've used Osmo oil extensively on all my new oak skirting boards and doors. The colour of the new wood changes slightly, as it would do if you wiped it with a damp cloth, but it doesn't go darker than that. The oil goes on easily, then dries to a hard finish that protects from dirt and spills.

16 Cord 12.5mm Black Woven Flat Elastic 10 Metres Craft
16 Cord 12.5mm Black Woven Flat Elastic 10 Metres Craft
Offered by DSCrossStitchOnline

5.0 out of 5 stars good deal, 18 Sep 2012
I've been using the elastic for a few weeks now, and it's retaining its stretch, and was a very good price.

Clever Coffee Dripper
Clever Coffee Dripper
Offered by Coffee Hit

5.0 out of 5 stars best coofee gadget ever, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper
I've tried:
espresso machines - too cumbersome and big on the worktop, and hard to clean up, and only makes a small cup. I like a mug of coffee, and I don't like having to transfer a tiny cup of espresso in to the mug and add water. It's just another cup to wash up!
Aerobie press - messy and hard to get it right, and it uses twice as much coffee as any other method.
french press/cafetierre - good coffee but hard to clean afterwards (lots of messy grounds to try and rinse away), and it tastes a bit "cloudy" because you don't filter the very small grains out.

All the above methods mean you have to wash out the equipment and clean all the messy coffee grounds out of your sink.

By far the easiest and best way to make a mug of coffee is to use a plastic cone, with a filter paper in it, and park it on top of your mug. Then add freshly ground coffee, and pour hot water through. At the end, you simply throw away the filter paper. No mess, and you get a good, "clean" mug of coffee.

The only slight downside is that the water doesn't sit in the cone very long. It starts to drain through as soon as you pour the water in, so the cooffee doesn't develop the full flavour you get in the French press.
I've been racking my brains to fid a decent way of slowing the water flow. Blocking some of the cone holes is the best I came up with, but it's not ideal.

This clever dripper solves that problem. The water is held in the cone, building up the flavour, until you decide to release it directly in to your mug. You get a fuller flavour than the normal cone method (because water is in contact with coffee longer) and you still have the convenience of smply throwing the filter paper/grounds straight in to the bin.

Better tasting coffee, clean sink. What more do you want?

D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure
D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure
Offered by In2digital

1.0 out of 5 stars struggles to stream HD movies, 3 Mar 2012
The NAS is easy to set up, and I was able to save my files to it first time. It is small and neat and pretty quiet.

The problem is that it can't stream HD movies. I can easily stream DVD rips (file size about 6 to 10 meg), but Blu Ray rips (size 20 meg) keep stuttering. I've tried the same HD movies streaming from the hard disc of my pc to the media player, and they work perfectly, using the same cables and router. Try and stream the HD movie from this NAS and the picture keeps halting whilst it waits for more info.

I've spent hours trying to configure it to be better, but the output speed can't cope with streaming an uncompressed Blu Ray rip.

It may be fine for compressed movies, and general file sharing, but for feeding a media player with hi-def movies it is useless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3