Profile for Jen > Reviews

2012 Moleskine Pocket Weekly Notebook 12 Months Soft
2012 Moleskine Pocket Weekly Notebook 12 Months Soft
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect diary/notebook, 28 Dec 2011
This will be my 5th one of these and I've not seen another diary I'd be happy with. I love the weekly diary/notebook view, the boxes for each day are the perfect size, and the notebook side is great for all kinds of notes. I write phone numbers and reference numbers, I skip ahead to people's birthdays and christmas and write gift ideas, I draw little sketches and doodles and write meal plans and shopping lists. I stick a wee pencil swiped from Ikea in the middle and the elastic band keeps the book closed and holds it in place. The pocket at the back is also really handy for important receipts, business cards, stamps, or anything you just want to keep a hold of really (although I will say that the pocket in my last one burst not long after I got it, which was a pain).

De'Longhi Icona KBO3001.BK Jug Kettle, 3 kW, Black
De'Longhi Icona KBO3001.BK Jug Kettle, 3 kW, Black
Offered by BestBuyUk
Price: 62.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, works well - lasted 3 years, 21 Oct 2011
As much as anyone can love their kitchen appliances I've loved this kettle. It has none of the niggles that annoy me about other kettles. The minimum water you need in it to boil is *really* minimal, I like that it attaches to the middle of the base, meaning it's easy to pick up and put down, it turns completely on the base, meaning I can reach it from either side of the kitchen island we keep it on. It's easy to fill, the lid comes off and on easily.

Unfortunately, after 3 years it's just started leaking, and for this price I would have expected a longer life out of it. I was swithering over whether to give it 3 stars based on that, but I went for 4 because it did serve us well for those 3 years.

Thermos Hydro Active Sports Bottle Charcoal 1.0L
Thermos Hydro Active Sports Bottle Charcoal 1.0L

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 3 Feb 2009
good size, option to freeze centre really good for keeping water cold, easy to drink out of and best of all easy to clean (a lot of water bottles have straws/small openings that are hard to clean). can be a wee bit leaky if upside down, but generally pretty good

Essential Crochet: 30 Irresistible Projects for You and Your Home
Essential Crochet: 30 Irresistible Projects for You and Your Home
by Erika Knight
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but not remarkable, 30 July 2008
I got this book because a friend has it (she bought it with plans to learn to crochet and never did) and I really liked a few of the patterns in it. It is a lovely book and a lot of the items in it are lovely, but once you actually go through it and look closer you realise that most of the patterns are very simple and you don't even really need the pattern! Once you've seen the picture that's enough. I'd also agree with the other reviewer that ther are mistakes in some of the patterns, or at least they're not overly clear. When making a couple I've had to freestyle a bit and there were a couple of items I started but gave up on because they just were not working out.

That said though I have made a few things from it that I've had a lot of enjoyment out of. The round rug was really satisfying to make (although it did get a bit lost around the middle and as the other reviewer I had to refer to the picture to pick it up), and it looks beautiful in front of my favourite chair.

Gorgeous Cakes: Published in Association with You Magazine (Gorgeous Series)
Gorgeous Cakes: Published in Association with You Magazine (Gorgeous Series)
by Annie Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars they really are!, 18 July 2008
I'd agree with other reviewers that it's maybe not for total novices, but I love this books and all the cakes I've made from it have turned out very nicely (except for the glaze for the flourless chocolate cake, cake was great, glaze didn't work). A couple of friends who are less domestically inclined than me bought the book after browsing through it at my house and they love it too. Plus it really is a beautiful read.

Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More
Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More
by Christen Haden
Price: 8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars The title is half right, 2 Jun 2008
Actually, it cute all the way. If you like amigurumi and are looking for a book full of quick gratification projects this is great. It's full of sweet little guys to make and I'd knocked out a couple within a few days of buying this. I would say that although the patterns are mostly pretty simple it's probably for people who already know the basics of crochet. The couple of patterns I've worked up also didn't work out exactly right for me, but that's not really a problem as crochet is a very forgiving craft, and the patterns are so quick and small that if you do make a mistake it's just a few minutes to undo and correct it.

The "Mighty Boosh" (BBC Audiobooks)
The "Mighty Boosh" (BBC Audiobooks)
by N Fielding J Barratt
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Hilarious, 15 May 2008
I got this to keep myself entertained while walking home from work. It's also become a favourite when doing the dishes. It's as good or maybe better as the first TV series and like the TV series is set in the Zoo. I love it because I've listened to it a couple of times in quick succession and there was stuff in the second listening that I'd missed in the first. Would unreservedly recommend.

The End of Mr Y
The End of Mr Y
by Scarlett Thomas
Price: 9.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, interesting and entertaining, 7 May 2008
This review is from: The End of Mr Y (Paperback)
I really loved this book. I don't want to say too much about it because when I'm reading I prefer not to have to many preconceptions. What I will say is that it's genuinely a good read, as well as being a bit 'thinky' (but not overly so). It starts quite random and jumps about, then everything is pulled together so it's quite different by the end (so if you find the start frustrating persevere). I hear what one of the earlier reviewers was saying about the way the other characters are constructed, but I think the main character is so perfect that this is cancelled out. Anyway, give it a go.

Sock & Glove
Sock & Glove
by Miyako Kanamori

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: you might start buying socks and gloves just for this book, 27 April 2008
This review is from: Sock & Glove (Paperback)
If you're new to the whole sock monkey thing (as I was) then this book is the perfect introduction as the diagrams and photos are all really simple and clear to follow. It gives you basic patterns for a range of misfit friends and is a great starting point for your own wacky creations. I totally adore the dog on the cover and might actually be forced to buy a pair of gloves specially to make him. As it is I've already used up loads of old socks on the other guys. The monkey is a classic and makes a great gift, especially for boys who are usually quite hard to please with a craft gift.

As other reviews have suggested the book itself is also a charming addition to your shelf, with the first half a story about all the sock and glove friends.

Teen Titans: Complete Seasons 1-4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Teen Titans: Complete Seasons 1-4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Scott Menville

4.0 out of 5 stars It's like it's from when cartoons were good!, 14 Jan 2008
Teen Titans is a great show, good if you want to entertain some children (much higher quality, both in terms of animation and narrative, than a lot of current children's' programmes), and even better if you want to entertain yourself!

Page: 1 | 2