Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now DIYED Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for J. Perry > Reviews

Content by J. Perry

J. Perry "Grubbyfoot" (Bristol UK)

Page: 1 | 2
TaoTronics® Water Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Shower Speaker (Bluetooth 3.0, Hands-Free, Built-in Mic, A2DP/AVRCP)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Loud sound and surprisingly good quality sound, 21 Jan. 2016
Loud sound and surprisingly good quality sound. It won't make music sound amazing (the bass is better than expected, but it's still only 1 smallish speaker), but great for podcasts in the shower or similar.

Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS
Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gun, well made, but a real cash-sink, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS (Toy)
My son loves this gun (oh who am I kidding? So do I!) but unfortunately doesn't get to play with it all that often. A set of cheap replacement batteries cost around £10 and they only last a few weeks. Can't fault the construction or design, there's plenty of accessories and it functions very well, but the practicality is limited. Would have been nice if it came with a rechargeable battery built in, but then that would have upped the price tag I guess.

Mamble Rat / Hamster Narrow Bar 100cm Cage
Mamble Rat / Hamster Narrow Bar 100cm Cage

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice big cage for my rats, 2 July 2013
I've had this for a couple of months now and it's been great. Good build quality, and the accessories are sturdy too. The water bottle did develop a leak after a week or so, but considering the price of the cage I was happy to replace it for under £2. Construction is simple but fiddly, and there were no instructions; I'd recommend having a second pair of hands around to help.

I keep 2 rats in here, and they have tons of room; in fact I think they'd be comfortable with at least 2 more sharing the space. The corner shelf and nest box, along with the tubes, give them some verticality, and still leave space for hammocks etc. The doors are pretty escape-proof, but I can still open and close them with one hand.

To sum up: very pleased with the cage, and my girls find it an acceptable substitute for my sleeves :D

The Resistance Avalon Card Game
The Resistance Avalon Card Game
Offered by Smart Games Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, tension and brain-bending., 20 Feb. 2013
Updated after a few months of playing! The original review stands, but I've added a paragraph at the bottom :D

First off, component quality is excellent; The cards are durable linen finish and the artwork is beautiful. For such a small box, you get an awful lot of game too. A brief overview; each player is dealt a card at the beginning of the game to decide their secret identity; either a loyal knight or a wicked traitor. The traitors know who the other traitors are, but the loyalists know nothing. Each round, the group as a whole must pick 2-5 people (depending on player numbers) to send on a quest. Then, those people each decide to either help or sabotage the quest in secret, by playing a card face-down. The cards are shuffled, and if any sabotages are revealed the mission fails, and if not it succeeds. The team with the most rounds in their favour (ie failures for traitors, successes for loyalists) wins the game after 5 rounds.

Simple! Except of course you don't know who the traitors are, or how anyone voted, and everyone swears blind it wasn't them. Or perhaps you are a traitor, flinging wild accusations around to divert attention. This is a game that doesn't happen on the table, or on a board, it all happens in the interaction between players, and it's tense, fun, and ever so satisfying because when you do well, you didn't roll a good die or spot something first; you got into your friends heads. And messed with them.

Now, that is just the base game from the previous version, and can be played with the components in this box. On that basis alone, it's a fantastic game if you like interaction, lying, logical thinking, or shouting "Traitor!" at your friends. But even better, Avalon comes with special role cards to add more depth and backstabbing to the game. Merlin for instance, who knows who all the traitors are, but if they guess who he is at the end of the game, they win.

The box says it's suitable for ages 13+, but I'd say you could go lower quite easily. 30 minutes play time is possible once you get the hang of it but might be optimistic if you get entrenched in the "He's a traitor!", "No I'm not" discussion (which you will). I gave this 3 stars for educational value since I'd say it teaches critical & logical thinking, as well as social interaction much better than your average boardgame. It also teaches parents exactly how well their kids can lie, which is valuable information ;)

The only downside I can think of to the game is that you need at least 5 players. For me, this is fine but it may be worth considering. You can play it in a living room easily enough though, so long as you have even a small coffee table or similar for the main board (and someone to manage it). It probably isn't for you if you dislike interaction-heavy games, uncertainty and bluffing.

Updated: Well I've had this for over 4 months now and it still often comes out at games night. I play with different combinations of one group, so we all have a good idea about each others tells and strategy now, but the game is still fun and interesting. We now always play with Merlin and the Assassin, but haven't really used the other roles. We have had a few games with the lady of the lake too, another variation that adds more information, and more opportunities for flat-out LIES. I've had more than my moneys worth out of this one and I can't think of a game I'd more comfortably recommend.

Essex Electronics 1m USB 2.0 A - 5 Pin Mini B Camera/MP3 Cable
Essex Electronics 1m USB 2.0 A - 5 Pin Mini B Camera/MP3 Cable
Offered by Cregan ONLINE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain, 1 Oct. 2011
I was thinking this was too good to be true for the price but was prepared to gamble 70p, and I'm glad I did. It works perfectly charging & accessing my MP3 player, so although some users have had problems getting enough power to larger-consumption devices, for mp3 players etc it should be fine.

JVC HA-FX34-SE - In Ear Marshmallow Headphones - Silver
JVC HA-FX34-SE - In Ear Marshmallow Headphones - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but not quite what I wanted, 1 Oct. 2011
First off I want to note I'm reviewing these as a comparison to other memory-foam (or marshmallow) earphones I've used. There are 5-star reviews here which echo exactly my excitement when I first switched to memory foam, but all the positive parts of the review would be found in any working pair of this type. That said, If you havn't tried marshmallow earphones before, for this price these are a grat place to start.

On the whole these perform well, are of a good quality and good value.

The one problem for me is that I find the marshmallow sections a little too short compared with my last pair, and as a result they don't stay in or block outside noise quite as well. Don't get me wrong, they are still vastly superior to solid plastic, but I do wish I hadn't lost my old pair! For the same reason, the marshmallow cover also slips back a bit easier than I'd expect, but not so much that you need to fiddle with them more than normal cleaning anyway. This might not be a problem for everybody though.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories about People Who Know How They Will Die
by Ryan North

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic mixture of tales, 20 Aug. 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. Though there are some truly heartbreaking stories, you shouldn't be fooled by the morbid title; there are just as many uplifting, funny or dramatic tales too. The best thing I can say about a book is that it gets your mind buzzing, and every one of these stories had me gazing out beyond the story, into the world implied by the protagonits and extrapolated from the common thread. Tales concerning prophecy traditionally have a twist at the end ("from the womb untimely ripped") and this concept is played with again and again, but the different authors and outlooks prevent this from becoming stale. Very excited for the sequel!

A4 X-748K Gaming mouse 3200 dpi/USB
A4 X-748K Gaming mouse 3200 dpi/USB

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mouse, 20 Aug. 2011
Fantastic bargain, I use the DPI adjustment much more than I thought I would and the extra 3 buttons are invaluable for lots of games. I also found that the adjustable weight made a lot of differnce, once I'd spent a few days finding the perfect setting. Been using it pretty heavily for 8 months now and still no real sign of wear.

Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen ("Dungeons & Dragons" Accessory) ("Dungeons & Dragons" Accessory)
by Wizards RPG Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for when your players throw you a curveball, 20 Aug. 2011
I was previously borrowing another players copy of the original DM screen but picked this up when I saw the revised info. They've done a good job of putting in things you might want at the table too often to look up easily. Skill difficulty by level is great for winging skill checks, and there's a great table of conditions which is handy.

For example, when I dropped my players from a few hundred feet ont a rural villiage, the warlock wanted to know if teleports obeyed newtons first law. That last sentence possibly made me the nerdiest guy on the planet but PRESSING ON, I decided that when your teleporting with magic Mr Newton has definately left the building, but it would take a little extra magical shenanigans to override the laws of physics; one "Hard" DC arcana check later and the warlock had made an impressive entance believing I had prepared a skill challenge for the whole thing. Then he was kidnapped by Asmodeus but that's another story.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I'd recommend getting this for any newish DM out there, or any expert who doesn't like to look things up if they can make them up. My friendly local gaming store (in the UK) has had problms getting hold of these from their supplier too so Amazon seems like a good place to get it.

Ambassador Mattress Topper King Size
Ambassador Mattress Topper King Size
Offered by Linens Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 20 Aug. 2011
Doesn't really effect the mattress much; like sleeping on top of a duvet. Considering the price, get yourself a nice new duvet and use the old one instead of this.

Page: 1 | 2