ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Profile for K. M. Whitehead > Reviews

Content by K. M. Whitehead

K. M. Whitehead "true crime writer" (Gloucestershire. UK.)

Gardman Squirrel Proof Ground Feeder Haven
Gardman Squirrel Proof Ground Feeder Haven

5.0 out of 5 stars feeder haven, 17 Oct 2011
This product has made a great difference. It not only deters squirrels,
but the larger birds. It's robust and easy to use and I'm more than happy with it.
K.M.Whitehead.

30 Bottle Wine Rack Kit - Dark Stained Oak
30 Bottle Wine Rack Kit - Dark Stained Oak
Offered by Rinkit Ltd
Price: 22.14

4.0 out of 5 stars wine rack, 12 Sep 2011
I'm sure it's a good product, but I found it difficult to assemble. Maybe the instructions could be made more clear.

Most of my murders
Most of my murders
by John Parris
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars most of my murders., 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: Most of my murders
As a writer on capital punishment, and our judicial system at the time, I found this book, "most of my murders", very interesting, especially the Bentley case. (Derek Bentley was hanged in 1953) it was this case where the Establishment wasn't interested in justice, they wanted revenge. A policeman had been shot. Christopher Craig was too young to hang. In my view, had it been a night watchman who had been shot, both would probably have been given 10 years. it wasn't until 1998 that the truth came out. It was proved that the trial judge held back vital evidence from the defence, and the police had lied. In short, Bentley was murdered by the State! Then of course there were others. Timothy Evans for example. john Parris the author puts everything into perspective, and as Albert Pierrepoint wrote in his autobiography. "Hanging proved nothing and it wasn't a deterrent". this is a book that reveals our shocking judicial system at that time, and we still have the evidence that the police still lie and cover up the truth.
Kevin. M.Whitehead.

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF NEVILLE CARDUS.
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF NEVILLE CARDUS.
by Neville Cardus

5.0 out of 5 stars Neville Cardus., 25 Mar 2011
This is a fascinating autobiography written by a man who came from a Manchester working family, to a well respected critic on the Manchester Guardian and also a critic on cricket. As autobiographies go, this one keeps the reader turning the pages because there's something for everyone. He was even a classical music critic. Now when you think that Cardus really had to struggle in his early years, you can only applaud the man for his efforts.
Now, there is another story to tell here, a story that most who read the book won't realise. In 1949, a journalist, Stafford Somerfield from the News of the World, took a copy of the book into Wandsworth prison on the eve of the execution of John, George Haigh, the acid bath murderer. Haigh wanted the book, because he was an accomplished pianist. ( The News of the World had paid for Haigh's defence, in exchange he write his story, which he did.) The following morning on 10th august,at 9.am. Albert Pierrepoint hanged him ! So there you are. A story within a story. Kevin. M.Whitehead.

The Complete Plain Words
The Complete Plain Words
by Sir Ernest Gowers
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars plain words, 19 Feb 2011
As a writer, I found the book very useful indeed. It was written orginally for Civil Servants, but would prove to serve as a useful tool in our schools today to teach pupils what English is all about, In Plain Words !
K.M.Whitehead.

The "Titfield Thunderbolt" Now and Then
The "Titfield Thunderbolt" Now and Then
by Oliver Fosker

5.0 out of 5 stars the days of steam, 7 Dec 2010
The book, The Titfield Thunderbolt now & then, is a fascinating study of photographs of when the film was made and how things look today. And I'm very pleased to say that not much as changed in all that time. As an ex railwayman, it was a joy to read and compare with the film. At that time, I was a fireman at the G.W.R. Engine sheds in Gloucester, and fired the engine that featured in the film, many times. So I found it all very nostalgic. In conclusion, it is books and films of this nature that the reader and viewer wants to see. Further. I shall certainly be visiting those places where the film was made, and may I just add that I had the privlige of firing the Evening Star when it came out of the Swindon works brand new. And I would highly recommend the book without hesitation. Kevin. M. Whitehead

Great Expectations [DVD]
Great Expectations [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Mills
Price: 5.27

5.0 out of 5 stars great expectations, 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: Great Expectations [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD like all the old great films of yesteryear, is excellent and charming. today, most of what we see is usually violence, gratuitous sex, or a mixture of all. Films in the 40's showed those things in a much more innocent light, and it's a great pity that we don't see such films today. Kevin. M. Whitehead.

Potter on Potter (Directors on Directors)
Potter on Potter (Directors on Directors)
by Dennis Potter
Price: 10.06

5.0 out of 5 stars potter on potter, 28 Mar 2010
I rate the book, Potter on Potter AS EXCELLENT. He dared to push the boundries in all directions, and not only was he a playwright, but a director, critic and author. Sadly, we will never see his like again. everyone should read it.
Kevin. M.Whitehead.

Dad, Help Me Please: The Story of Derek Bentley
Dad, Help Me Please: The Story of Derek Bentley
by Christopher Berry-Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars please dad, help me, 28 Jun 2009
The Bentley book that I've read, is one of the best so far. As the biographer for Albert Pierrepoint, and plus the fact I am an authority on crime and punishment, I found it extremely well written and very well researched.
The authors' just be justly proud of themselves. Kevin. M.Whitehead.