Profile for Mr. J. D. Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. D. Williams

Mr. J. D. Williams "BoyWonder83" (UK)

Full Catastrophe Living, Revised Edition: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I've read this book twice but could not recommend it to someone new to the practice of mindfulness ..., 26 Nov 2013
I've read this book twice but could not recommend it to someone new to the practice of mindfulness or someone who is looking for a clear and concise introduction to this powerful and life changing concept.

I own the book on Kindle but have seen the hard copy and it is huge. I find that book is very useful to someone who has been practising mindfulness for some time as it adds additional context and information to the concept but to the beginner its a daunting and intimidating prospect. I recommended mindfulness to a friend who suffers with severe anxiety. Unfortunately, he went off and bought this as his first book. He came back to me a few weeks later bemused and disappointed and I can see why. This book focuses heavily on the science and moves from one academic study to another to the extent that it feels like an academic textbook. Added to that there are many chapters on obscure concepts like wholeness and connectedness and sprinkled liberally with examples from the MBSR clinic To me, the book lacks the essence of mindfulness and simple, practical help as to how mindfulness can be practised. It pains me to say this of a book written by Jon Kabat Zinn, an individual for whom I have nothing but respect.

Few people approach mindfulness for the purpose of feeling connected to the rest of the universe or to hear about studies by academics. People approach mindfulness for the purpose of enjoying happier, more fulfilled lives and this book sadly wont hit the mark and will probably discourage quite a few.

Mindfulness is breathtakingly beautiful and can be frustratingly difficult at the same time. If you wish to explore the concept I would recommend starting with Oli Doyle's Mindfulness Plain and Simple which is light and accessible and maybe in time build up to the complex behemoth that is Full Catastrophe Living.

David Jason: My Life
David Jason: My Life
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 20 Oct 2013
This autobiography is long overdue but it's certainly worth the wait. I finished the whole book in less than two days as I really wanted to find out what happens next. The book has a really good pace and it's tone is light-hearted and accessible. It neither stays on one topic for too long nor did I feel that it was rushed.

For such a talented and accomplished artist, I was amazed by how humble Jason comes across. He acknowledges gratefully all the help he received from others on the long and twisty road to stardom and his sense of humour and palpable vulnerability come across in equal measure. Whilst, DJ does mention individuals who have treated him unkindly, there is no hint of bile or bitterness. In all, a really good read and well worth the purchase.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought it would be, 8 May 2013
I loved my Kindle before I bought this but enough more now. The fit is perfect and it appears to be really well made. Losing the little straps that held my kindle in place with my old cover is a massive bonus. Well worth what I paid. Drawbacks are that the fit is almost too snug as It's really difficult to remove my device. The leather does seem to be of low quality and has quite a course texture.

Winter in Madrid
Winter in Madrid
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable novel, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Winter in Madrid (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Great plot and some twists that I didn't see coming. Historical fiction is criticised for it's historical inaccuracies but I've a much better feel for the Spanish civil war now that I've read this book than I had previously. I did think that the end was a bit rushed and was slightly irritated by Sandy's almost magical sense of self preservation but apart from that I cannot recommend this work highly enough.

Abandon
Abandon
Price: 2.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Abandon (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. Great story and well told. I particularly liked the way in which the story changed from past and present as this stopped the story getting boring. I found the story a bit predictable but I did detect a slight hint of Stephen King in the way Crouch engaged with the reader which cannot be a bad thing. I enjoyed the book but for me it lacked the wow factor. Any keen reader will identify with that feeling when one completes a really fantastic book; a strange mixture between sadness that the story has come to an end and a feeling of awe for the story. This book lacked this feeling but I would recommend nevertheless. Crouch really does have a great career ahead of him and its only a matter of time before the cost of his books start to rise on Amazon. I paid 99p for the book which was a fantastic deal for me but I wouldn't have felt short changed if the book had cost 5.

Hide and Seek
Hide and Seek
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Hide and Seek (Kindle Edition)
Possibly the most tedious book I've ever read. Page after page of running up this street and then down that street.

I began to dislike this book when the author introduced the town's chief constable (no such thing) who liked dressing up as a cowboy off duty.

At least it was cheap.

The Doomsday Testament
The Doomsday Testament
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed, 24 Mar 2013
I'd never read anything by this author when I bought this book but I took a chance and I'm please I did. Good story and plot and Ireally liked the pace of the story. Douglas has a very good turn of phrase and even made me chuckle in places.

Grind Their Bones
Grind Their Bones

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Grind Their Bones (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't wait to finish this book and move on to something else.

Possibly the most boring book I have ever read, the author is clearly an amateur. Thankfully it was only 77 pence.

I found myself getting very frustrated by being told so frequently that Wade's curls were in her eyes and how whenever the characters ate anything the ingredients and preparation method were explained in such detail that it was almost a cookery book. Onto these monotonous details the author placed a very thin veneer of a story.

Avoid.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet - Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Healy
Price: 12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Auf Wiedershen Pet Review, 12 Mar 2009
I was delighted with my recent purchase of the above.

The first one I ordered had to be sent back, but the replacement works fine.

A very comprehensive set at a very good price. Another good feature is that there are no annoying edits as is sometimes the case with box sets (see Only Fools and Horses complete set).

I would certainly recommend this to anyone who is a fan and even those who aren't!