Profile for J. Beer > Reviews

Content by J. Beer

J. Beer "Tarantula1995" (Lincoln, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Orzly® - Multi-Function Wallet Case for Motorola NEXUS 6 - BLACK Leather Effect Wallet Style Phone Case with Intergrated Stand and Built-In Auto Sleep / Wake Sensor Functionality Custom Built for the GOOGLE NEXUS 6 SmartPhone ( 2014 Model )
Offered by G-Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, leaning towards 5 as i don't think the negatives detract a whole star, 21 Dec. 2014
Bought this for my Nexus 6. Must have been a mix-up as i was sent the wrong item (plus another item too), i contacted the seller who was extremely friendly and fixed my issue very quickly and had the correct case sent out to me, they also let me keep the incorrect items which was nice of them!

Good Things:
- Considering its not actual leather, it actually feels pretty nice. Not tacky, and fairy grippy.
- The magnetic clip holds it in place, there isnt any flapping about.
- The case has the ability to fold and become a horizontal stand (as shown in one of the images)
- Space for cards, and for bank notes. (i don't use these, but it's nice to have the option i guess)
- The flip cover wakes and sleeps the screen when opened and closed respectively. This is really useful i find, saved fumbling for the buttons on the large screen

Bad things:

- The card slot "rims" can sometimes leave marks on the screen, not really a biggie
- The cutouts over the power and volume buttons make it a tiiiny bit harder to press them, sometimes. However i would like to stress the point that if they do make the buttons slightly harder to press, its not in big way. Also, my previous point about the flip cover waking and sleeping the screen kind of renders this negative point mute.
- I suppose it would have been nice to have real leather, but this is me really thinking for negatives.

Conclusion

I'd buy from this brand again based on customer service and product quality. I paid ~£7 and i dont regret it. I'd buy it again if i had the choice.

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 (Retail Packaging)
Offered by Deals4Geeks

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to go much more expensive than this, 26 May 2014
I'll make this as brief as possible.

The 720p picture is great, had many compliments on the quality of the image. The mic is fairly average. I own a cheap plantronics desktop mic, and the webcams mic beats it, i.e. people can actually hear me on the webcams mic, and i don't really get many complaints about how well it picks up my voice, but obviously it could be better as its just a built in cam mic, but it does the job. The stand looked confusing to me before buying, and i wondered how it'd fit on my monitor, but when i got it, it seemed a lot clearer. It can simply sit on the desk directly, or the stand can bend and lean on top of the monitor. I thought it'd be precarious, but its not really. If i bump the desk or monitor it stays still, its only when i tap it with my finger or hand does it actually move out of position.

In summary, glad i bought it, worth buying, would recommend it.

Asus DVD-RW Bulk Drive (DRW-24F1ST, S-ATA, DVDR: 24x, CD-R: 48x, E-Green, Disc Encryption II)
Offered by NORDPC

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great!, 26 May 2014
Pretty much everything that you could want. Writes, reads, Re-writes. That, and the "asus" logo looking far nicer than the "samsung" logo was the only reason i chose this optical drive. Cant fault it really, doesnt make much of a racket when spinning up (no violent shaking), just the whirring that you'd expect. Looks as shown, fitted well.

SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ50-016G-B35)
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ50-016G-B35)

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, high capacity, 26 May 2014
Loved: The size (tiny), Loved the weight, (light), and it also looks pretty good.

Didnt like: There isn't a cover to stop rubbish getting into the plug, the transfer speed is pretty low, (about 6Mb/s i think) so it takes quite a while to transfer stuff, but then again, this is cheap. The speed is the reason it lost a star.

TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack
TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 26 May 2014
For those who have trouble getting an Ethernet cable routed to certain rooms, these are a near perfect solution.

They plug into the wall socket near the computer, and near the router. An ethernet cable then goes from the computer to the adapter, and another ethernet then goes from the OTHER adapter, to the router. The adapter then does the rest, plug and play! I can see no loss in connection speed at all. The only reason this is a NEAR perfect solution, is that it simply takes up a plug socket in the wall, and isnt a pass-through one, but thats it.

I'd also like to stress the point that, although the description says "cant be used in socket splitters" - I've been using mine in a splitter for 6 months, and i've had no issues at all. This doesnt mean that you wont have any, but in my experience there is no evidence to say that these adapters dont actually work in a splitter!

Roccat ROC-12-722 Isku Illuminated Gaming Keyboard UK Layout
Roccat ROC-12-722 Isku Illuminated Gaming Keyboard UK Layout
Offered by Box Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Not replacing this for a while!, 26 May 2014
Been using this keyboard for 6 months solid now, wont be considering getting a new one for a long while!

Design/Build quality:

The keyboard is made of plastic, but then again, so is practically all other keyboards that arent stupidly expensive. It looks phenomenal! Cant fault the looks at all! As for actually build quality, cant fault it there either. I have it raised up (with the legs lowered) and i raged while playing BF4 (sadly happens a lot), and i smacked the keyboard with my fist, and there was no damage, or apparent weakening of any parts. The legs have clunky clicks, and the keyboard supports them, so damaging them does not worry me. I have no issue with the LED's, they're bright enough! However this can be changed (dimming buttom). The wrist rest is also an upside. My wrists never feel tired or strained, which has been an issue on previous keyboard. Overall, there is only ONE slight niggle with the design - The media keys are not backlit (on the very top of the keyboard), this causes so little issues that its barely even worth bringing up.

Keys: They are not mechanical, i'll put that out there, however they are still loud apparently, (my sister can hear them through the wall). I dont really find this an issue though. Key presses are satisfyingly "clunky" yet dont need much effort to press, so the perfect blend of the two. There are TONS of macros. I mean loads, the macro row has 5, then each macro has a secondary function (accessed by pressing the roccat easy shift button) AND THEN, there are another 4 profiles, (a total of 5). Not to mention many of the letter keys can also have secondary function added to them. This keyboard also has a media key row, which i am very grateful for. I never realised how much is wanted/would use one, until i had one!

Software:

In a few words, always works for me, doesnt let me down, fairly easy to use (for pc savvy). One area of the software works so well that i just have to point it out, even after re-installing the OS, and installing the driver again (with no backups), the software can identify the set-up i had previously on the keyboard (from what i assume is a memory device inside the keyboard), and updates itself to how i had it previously! This was a pleasant surprise, and has actually been of use to me multiple times. The software facility is great for setting up macros, but this took me a little while to get used to, but im sure anyone choosing to buy a gaming keyboard wouldn't have an issue with this!

Conclusion: I can barely fault this keyboard, definitely one of the best bits of tech i've bought, £59.99 well spent! get one!

Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory
Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great at being RAM, 26 May 2014
Not really much i can say here, its nice and yellow!
It looks great, mini heat-sinks at the top look pretty cool alongside the yellow, fits in nicely, not too tall.
I cant comment on how well it handles over-volting, as i haven't tried, just remember to change the clock speed of the ram in the bios, as its not set to 1600Mhz by default (as far as i've seen).

Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad
Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad
Offered by SSoulUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality trackpad, 26 May 2014
I bought this purely as a test to see how good trackpads could be, i was pleasantly surprised. Its worth saying that i did return the device, the return had nothing to do with the device, i always intended this to be a bit of an experiment to how see how a trackpad would change my user experience of windows 8. So used the device for 2 weeks solid, here is what i found, with my conclusion at the end.

Build Quality and design:

All i can really say for this is, fantastic! Really has a premium feel to it! the glass face is smooth and doesn't feel sticky and hard to use, the physically clicks (pressing down on the face) and the on/off switch have satisfying clicks. I got the feeling that the glass face might break in the event of a drop, but then again, is this really a device for carting around with your laptop? Mine stayed on my desk, so i don't think the glass breaking would be an issue. One area of the design that i thought could be very usefull is the unified receiver. This means you can have up to 6 devices connecting to one receiver. This would be excellent for people who have more than one logitech device, which is very plausible as they are a big company making excellent products.

Looks:

Once again, fantastic. The matte grey colouring of the face fits in beautifully into a desk/work environment. Not really much else i can say here other than its the best looking trackpad i've seen around!

Usability:

Took me about a day or two to get to grips with the different gestures, and just generally using a trackpad instead of a mouse. After getting used to it, i found it about as easy as using a mouse, if pushed i'd say a mouse was a tad easier however, but this is probably due to me using a mouse for my whole life.

Software:

This is the one are of the trackpad that i didn't really like. While it looks nice, and is easy to set-up, the "customisable gestures", didnt turn out as such. What they mean by customisable, is that you can turn them on or off basically. So that was a let down.

Conclusion: This device was so much better than i expected. I would have definitely re-considered returning the device had it not be ever so marginally harder to use than a mouse, however i suspect that this is because i use computers a lot and like doing everything very quickly. So if you're not a pc power user, i can see this device working very well for you!

Anker® 8200 DPI High Precision Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse for PC, 9 Programmable Buttons, Weight Tuning Cartridges, Omron Micro
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Mouse, 25 May 2014
Had this mouse for a few months now so im nice and used to it, so I'll get straight to it, and break down the review into sections.

Build Quality:

The mouse is pretty much entirely plastic (as can be assumed) with glossy black plastic and soft touch plastic. The soft touch makes the mouse nice to use, and is comfortable. I cant really comment on how the weight feels, as this is customisable, (yes you heard right, customisable! You, yes you, can change the weight of your mouse, by taking out, or adding in metallic weights into a compartment of the bottom of the mouse, this is especially important for people who are very particular about how heavy the mouse is. (it actually makes a difference, and i do know many people who care about it).

Design:

The ergonomic design is something i really like, and will probably carry on using in future mice. I think Anker really got that right with this mouse, the design feels comfortable whether i use a claw grip, or just palm the mouse, and i can still reach all of the macro keys. The braided cable is a very nice touch, and really does give a premium feel. The addition of two profiles was a great idea, it allows me to have a "windows" mode, with media keys etc, but also allows me to have a "gaming" mode. Where i can assign buttons to assist me in game, for example, assigning reload, and grenade for battlefield have become particularly useful. The one thing i especially not a fan of on the mouse, is the ability to ONLY control the colour of the Anker logo on the back of the mouse. While its a nice feature, it means the front LED's are always blue and in view, with the anker one covered by your hand, but i guess this is personal preference.

Software:

This is the one area of the mouse that i dont like, but i'll start with the general gist of the software, then move onto my gripes. The software (downloadable from the product page on ianker.com) is pretty much your standard "gaming" mouse configuration software utility. It lets you customise various features of the mouse, from DPI, to the Anker logo LED colour, to more advanced features such as x and y acceleration, if you're into that sort of thing. I also own a Roccat Isku keyboard, and i love the driver/configuration software, it always works, looks great, and hasnt failed me. However, i have had multiple issues with Ankers software utilities for this mouse. To name a few, i've had a problem where all the preferences reset every time i closed the program. I've also had issues with varying speeds of the mouse, by this i mean, if i were to re-instal the mouse software (i have had to, for matters unrelated to the mouse), each time i set the desired DPI, the speed of the mouse has changed, sometimes slower than before (meaning i need to increase the DPI) or sometimes it seems very fast (even though the dpi is the only setting i alter in regards to how the mouse performers). Its also worth noting that the software's looks don't feel premium, and the icon for the program is a really pixelated mouse, but this is purely cosmetic, and i don't really mind anymore.

In summary, this is a great mouse, you wouldn't be disappointed, i don't believe the software issues would happen with everyone, and even if they do, they wouldn't be hard to iron out. The low cost, great looks and great feel make this mouse a must buy if you cant get into the higher price ranges of other mice. I haven't considered getting a new mouse since buying this.

Plantronics Audio 300 Skype/Voip Computer Microphone
Plantronics Audio 300 Skype/Voip Computer Microphone
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, if you like having a mic ontop of your keyboard or mouse, 11 April 2014
Mic Build Quality:
Pretty good i guess. Stands up, never have any issues with stability, comes with an additional stand with a double sided sticky pad on the back in case you want to stick it on a wall or somewhere not flat. You lower or raise the mic due to a hinge in the base. Nothing wrong with the wire. I have no real issues with build quality

Mic audio Quality:
Average, asked multiple people how it is, they said its not good, but not bad. So its functional for communication but nothing more really. Once again, I have no real issues with the quality here.

Mic Sensitivity:
Sensitivity is where i do have issues though. I took a chance hoping the sensitivity wasn't as bad as people were saying, but its pretty bad. I normally have my mic beside my monitor, and people cannot hear me. I have to move the mouse ON-TOP of my mouse mat, or keyboard, for them to hear me. I measured the best distance, at about 30-40cm, which for me sitting at a pretty standard desk is in top of my either my keyboard or mousemat. Even then i have to go into the "recording devices" menu and adjust the mics settings, this helps, but causes MASSIVE feedback above 35% volume, to the point where i have to slam either the sleep or mute button because my ears drums were about to burst.

Roundup:
I guess I've gotten used to moving it, and the quality isn't that bad. I didn't pay much so i wasn't expecting anything out of this world so its not worthy of anything <=4 stars, but its not a hopeless 2 stars. It does what its meant to, even if its maybe a little weak. I would consider getting a new mic in the future.

Page: 1 | 2