Profile for Paul, Edinburgh > Reviews

Content by Paul, Edinburgh

Paul, Edinburgh

Sea Change (Blu-Ray Audio)
Sea Change (Blu-Ray Audio)
Price: 19.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Audio 5.1 Masterpiece, 23 April 2014
Having bought the CD on release a decade ago and loving it ever since, I decided it would be worth investing in the Blu Ray to see if the 5.1 added anything. So often these things really are just hype, but in this case I don't think there is enough hyperbole to do the production justice. It is fantastic. Just an absolute aural joy. Really like listening to a different album almost as you pick up sounds you hadn't previously noticed. The separation through the speakers is perfect. I played it to a friend who also loves the album and after listening to the 5.1 he simply said "you realise you've spoiled it for me now". Doubtless he'll have a 5.1 set up soon :-)

Love Poetry And Revolution: A Journey Through The British Psychedelic And Underground Scenes 1966 To 1972
Price: 16.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy, fab and gear!!!, 9 Feb 2014
As the comprehensive main review by James B Spink states, this is all really rather excellent. A well selected treasure trove of cracking tunes from the psych era backed by amusing, incisive and informative notes on each track. There does seem to be more than a few psych comps out there, many of varying quality. This is one to get though. A job well done and a pleasure to listen to.

Nico, Songs They Never Play on the Radio
Nico, Songs They Never Play on the Radio
by James Young
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best music biography I've read!, 20 Feb 2013
Nostalgia made me buy this. I met Nico on one of her tours in the summer of 1985 and I wondered if the gigs were mentioned. Sitting 'backstage' with her and 'Le Kid' I was doubtless also in the company of the author at some point. I wish I had known then what I know now, I'd have liked to shake his hand.

This is a cracking read. Most music biographies tend toward sycophancy and I find that hard to digest. This, however, is a warts and all journey through the realities of being a jobbing musician working with a fading star whose only real concern, like any junkie, is where the next fix is. That makes the book sound depressing, but it's not. It's well written and full of hilarious anecdotes with some cracking one liners (John Cooper Clarke 'watching' the TV had me howling with laughter). OK the humour is not going to be shared by all as it's certainly black, but if you fancy a good read with a healthy dose of reality you'd be hard pushed to find better.

Iconoclastic indeed. If only all music books were this honest.

TIMBERLAND Washington Summit Series dark brown/yellow (Size: 44,5)
TIMBERLAND Washington Summit Series dark brown/yellow (Size: 44,5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pair of Trekking Boots, 13 Sep 2012
Having just returned from trekking in the mountains of North West Vietnam I can vouch that these are an excellent set of boots. After only ten minutes they were flexible and comfortable so that I could traverse paths with tiny holds even where muddy and wet. They gave good support and were waterproof as promised (though I did stand in mud over the top a couple of times!!!). All in all a great buy and I highly recommend them.

Berghaus Verden 65 +10 Men's Rucksack - Jet Black/Coal, 75 lt
Berghaus Verden 65 +10 Men's Rucksack - Jet Black/Coal, 75 lt

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design for Backpacking, 13 Sep 2012
I bought this in April in order to use on a trip around Vietnam. Having just returned I can report that it was not fit for purpose. After only a week the stitching had come apart at one of the straps despite a weight of only 15kgs in the pack. Even before that the external aluminium frame/rails (which allows the backpack to be tailored to suit your height) had been bent out of shape as, I presume, it proves a handy way for luggage handlers at airports to manhandle your luggage. This meant that I would receive a backpack with two metal rods sticking out after each plane journey. Indeed, on arrival at Gatwick even before flying to Vietnam this meant that the protective cover I had bought for the rucksack had already been destroyed. I abandoned the pack in Vietnam and bought another. Very disappointing from such a prestigious brand and equally disappointing to note that Amazon would seem not to allow me to address this issue in any way other than by leaving this review!

To sum up: If you are going travelling look at another, more sturdy, pack and definitely don't get one with external frame as it will be pulled apart by airport luggage handlers!