Profile for music man > Reviews

Mccloud: Seasons One & Two [DVD] [1972] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Dennis Weaver
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars such as, 29 Sept. 2014
Great to see this TV series again. I was a teenager in the 1970s when I watched them on TV for the first time. Now here we are in the 21st century and I find the series still highly watchable ,much bettecter than the cold TV series of today. The stories were good but the thing that I liked about the show was the interaction between McCloud and his colleagues in the New York Police Dept. These people actually care about each other !
The first series was good but if I remember rightly it got better as the show went on and the characters were allowed to develop.
I find it strange how a lot of the story content which involved serious stuff like people being shot ,murdered can some how come second to enjoying the actual story and the characters in the series.
"Well there you go".................................................................................

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars warner bros music show, 10 Jun. 2011
I first heard this album in the 1970s and it was indeed purchased for 59p !
This is an excellent album containing many fine tracks from fine bands whose names include : Little Feat,The Doobie Brothers, Graham Central Station, Tower Of Power, Montrose and Bonaroo . Each group has two tracks on the album apart from Bonaroo who were new at the time of album release. To hear such classics as Dixie Chicken and Oh Atlanta from Little Feat and The Doobie Brothers Black Water/pursuit on 53rd street on the same album is pure magic !

Strangers in the Night
Strangers in the Night
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars easy listening, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Strangers in the Night (Audio CD)
Des O Conner basically sings my record collection so I had to buy this album.
I dont believe that he has the most distinctive or powerful voice that I have ever heard from a singer, but he gives an OK performance on most of the songs on this album. I think his best song on the album which isn't the best song on the album but is his best performance on the album (if that makes sense) is sad songs,which was originally a hit for Elton John .

Shopping Bag
Shopping Bag
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars Partridge Family Sound, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Shopping Bag (Audio CD)
Got this album on vinyl good to see it released as a CD.There are 11 tracks on the album my favourite track being Its One Of Those Nights,written by Tony Romeo .There is a track on there written by David Cassidy himself called There'll Come A Time. Hello Hello is quite a chirpy song,but I like, Girl you Make My day. Its fascinating to think that 40 years on these songs can still be seen as contemporary in terms of relating to boy/girl relationships.As of course some things never change, romance being one of them.
The background vocals are performed by John Bahler,Tom Bahler Jackie Ward Ron Hicklin and Partridge Family vocals by Shirley Jones and David Cassidy.I believe that you could offer up Partridge Family music to younger people who never heard it the first time round and they would like it.The strings and horn arrangements are what really gives the Partridge Family its "sound", compounded by the excellent vocals provided by David Cassidy and Shirley Jones.
Not something to be left lingering in the past !

Up to Date
Up to Date
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Partridge Family Sound, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Up to Date (Audio CD)
Up To Date is one of the earlier albums I believe from 1970.Its starts with the very catchy Ill Meet You Halfway.The theme of this song seems to be ( at least to me) about a boy noticing a girl and trying to find some way of getting her to notice him .My favourite track is She Rather Have The Rain which is quite an upbeat number, then there is the powerful Tony Romeo ballad You Are Always On My Mind and in contrast there is the gentler track Morning Rider On The Road which sounds very laid back. The strings and horns are arranged by Mike Melvoin who also plays keyboard. Hal Blaine is on drums Joe Osborne is on bass with louie Shelton on guitar.

Notebook
Notebook

4.0 out of 5 stars Partridge Family Sound, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Notebook (Audio CD)
This album from 1973 featured a cover version of Walking In The Rain which comes across very well but it is however not my favourite track I give that award to the track Take Good Care Of Her because of the passion in the David Cassidy voice .I believe the song relates to a boy being dumped by his girl for another bloke and him wishing him well,"now you have got my baby take good care of her"as the song goes.
I have only given this album a 4 rating because I dont think that it is as good as Sound Magazine but its still pretty good.Not being a girl I am not a heart throb of David Cassidy but I do think that he has got a great voice and that backed up by Shirley Jones who also has a good voice it all came across very well. The arrangement of the rhythm tracks together with the strings and horns though are what gives this album its quality.

Sound Magazine
Sound Magazine
Offered by JB's CDs DVDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Partridge Family, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sound Magazine (Audio CD)
I have this album on vinyl and my favourite track is Twenty Four Hours a Day written by Wes Farell and Danny Jenson.Its just fascinating how their music has stood up so well to the test of time since its first release in 1972 . I am not sure though if it has stood up that well in the intervening years.What I mean by that is through the late 70s and 80s and 90s and into the 21st century.The style of music is acceptable now but I wonder if listening to it in say the 80s you would have regarded it as old fashioned by 1980s standards?
Anyway its great to have these albums out on CD and listening to them again is great.The sound is excellent especially the strings and horn arrangements and of course the David Cassidy voice is good too.Other Partridge Family albums are Up To Date,Notebook,Shopping Bag and the Christmas album.

Foul Play [VHS] [1978]
Foul Play [VHS] [1978]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars foul play, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Foul Play [VHS] [1978] (VHS Tape)
I like Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn and Dudley Moore.So having all three together in one movie is great.This is not a major film for any of these actors as they have all done films that have been more associated with them.However the actors work together very well to make the story work .The way that the Dudley Moore character(Stanley ) comes into the film for three occasions briefly works brilliantly. I must admit his first appearance were he thinks he is being picked up by Goldie Horn in a bar is great. The movie is really a vehicle for these actors to show off their comedy element and it works well as the story progresses. It also carries the 70s time period with it well.
Worth watching if you are a fan of any of these actors !

Jason King: The Complete Series [DVD]
Jason King: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Wyngarde

5.0 out of 5 stars Jason King, 2 Dec. 2010
I remember Department S from the late 60s and this is the spin of series from it Jason King.The stories in Department S revolved around mysteries that were to baffling for normal police and were thus referred to Department S ( a type of Interpol) who specialised in solving the inexplicable .
For instance an aeroplane that landed without passengers and crew would be refereed to Department S.Department S called on the services of a guy who was a great crime novelist to help them Jason King.You have got to watch department S first to then fully appreciate Jason King.The stories in this series are more a vehicle to advertise the Jason King character as he tumbles headlong into adventure.I think that the stories have more humour to them than the Department S stories which tended to be more serious.There are some great looking women in the stories too.One of my favourite stories of the series is called "Uneasy lies The Head".I love the opening sequence in a Whitehall office multinational delegates are discussing ways of combating an international narcotics organisation.They are looking for a man to take charge of the investigation,Jason King is suggested,after all his mother was a French Countess and his father a descendant of the exiled Russian dynasty ( he is well heeled)Flamingoes Only Fly On Tuesdays is another favourite. In this story Jason is mistook for a gun runner while visiting a Caribbean Island during the course of the story he makes friends with the opposition party to solve the case.
If you want to relive the 60s in all its fashion watch this series !

Partridge Family: Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Partridge Family: Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Shirley Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Partridge Family, 2 Dec. 2010
I have recently purchased all 4 seasons of The Partridge Family off Amazon.I remember watching the Partridge Family on TV when first aired in the 1970s.Watching them again all these years later and I still find them enjoyable to watch.The songs still remain as catchy as ever.A lot of music from that time, the early 70s seems dated now ,the Glam Rock era doesn't come across well in the 21st century.However the Partridge Family music does.The stories revolve around the family working together as a family to resolve the situations that they find themselves in.This time round watching it I notice the comedy element that exists between the characters played by Dave Madden(Reuben) and Danny Bonaduce (Danny) which is great as it complements the Shirley Jones and David Cassidy characters.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 11:28 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2