Profile for Peter Ward > Reviews

Content by Peter Ward

Peter Ward

Page: 1 | 2
TP-Link RE200 AC750 Universal WiFi Range Extender/Easy WiFi Booster (Wall Plug, WPS function, Easy Configuration, 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps, 5 GHz 450 Mbps)

3.0 out of 5 stars and I was disappointed that I couldn't place it as far away from ..., 11 Oct. 2014
The extender arrived very quickly from Amazon, as ever with direct purchases.

The WPS approach to registering it with my Home Hub 3 didn't work for some reason. It failed to connect, even though it picked up the password. I was left with the extender's 2 wifi networks and not a seamless single network. I therefore plugged my laptop into its ethernet port to configure it and after a couple of attempts I was able to login to it. I had to do an "ipconfig /all" and access it by its IP address because the URL in the instructions didn't work.

However, once I got it to register properly with my router all was well. My brother pointed me at a wifi analyser app for my phone and I was able to see the signals from both my router and the extender. The extender's signal is not as strong as the router's, and I was disappointed that I couldn't place it as far away from my router as I would have liked because it seems to need quite a strong signal itself. However, I found a compromise location where it definitely helps to fill in the signal. It's better, but not quite as good as I'd hoped.

Before I moved to BT Infinity and was saddled with the BT HH3, I used a Belkin Play Max router. This provided a good signal for the whole house. So I think the rise in use of extenders is probably down to us all having to use BT's poor routers!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 1:15 PM GMT

Motel of the Mysteries
Motel of the Mysteries
by David Macaulay

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Motel of the Mysteries (Paperback)
This book should be essential reading for anyone going to a museum or watching an archaeological TV programme. There is nothing like it! It shows how easy it is to completely misunderstand something when you no longer have the context. Based on misidentifying a cheap motel as a religious burial complex, we have the wonderful idea that the bedroom's TV is an altar because everything in the room focuses on it. There are so many delicious little details it stands multiple re-readings. Our family's standard comment now when anyone is waxing lyrical on precisely what some historical artefact means is "motel of the mysteries".

Audioengine W3 Premium Wireless Audio Adapter Set - Black
Audioengine W3 Premium Wireless Audio Adapter Set - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but some drawbacks, 20 May 2014
I am using this to send signal to an amp in the same room. At times the music signal that it is transferring is itself affected by the digital interference. Its digital noise also affects my vinyl setup so I have to switch it off when playing records. So it does the job but it's rather compromised by the poor suppression of digital noise.

Cars Now!: 1
Cars Now!: 1
by Daniel Alexander Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Cars Now!: 1 (Paperback)
Intersection, at least in the UK, seems to have died. So it's good that this book was published before it did. In some ways it's more of the same, at least Intersection as it used to be. Recommended

Panasonic Shaver self-cleaning cartridge fits models ES8168, ES8078, ES7058
Panasonic Shaver self-cleaning cartridge fits models ES8168, ES8078, ES7058

1.0 out of 5 stars I sent the shaver back, 20 May 2014
An awful shaver, low quality and unreliable. The cleaning cartridge approach is worse than that of Braun because the cartridge is solid and you have to add water to the unit; once you've done this you can't remove it so unlike the Braun system it's not portable.

I went back to Braun after my fling with Panasonic. I suggest you don't "fling".

Office Silence Chukka Brown Leather - 8 UK
Office Silence Chukka Brown Leather - 8 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars My second pair, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Office Silence Chukka (Apparel)
Some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever had, so I decided to buy a second pair while I could.

Come Fly with Me - Series 1 [DVD]
Come Fly with Me - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Walliams

5.0 out of 5 stars Where did this brilliant series go?, 25 Feb. 2014
I was never a fan of Little Britain so I can't compare. For me though, this series is just wonderful. The documentary style is perfect, and makes me laugh at real documentaries now when the voiceover is done in the same over-serious way. The characters, especially Precious Little, are wickedly humorous: "got no coorffeee" is now part of our family's vocabulary! And the pointed references to Easyjet are fantastic, with stand-up seats, credit card-accessed fixed-time lifejackets and the Greek owner. Some sketches fall flat and/or are overlong, but try watching Monty Python now and you'll find the same thing. Really, this DVD is just brilliant!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 6:57 PM BST

70s Concept Cars: Yesterday's Dreams of the Future
70s Concept Cars: Yesterday's Dreams of the Future
by Rainer W. Schlegmilch

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book if you're into cars of this period, 25 Feb. 2014
Fantastic photos take you right back to the period. The cars are almost all exceptional, and all the photos are stunning with excellent reproduction. There are few words but they're not really needed.

Many years ago I purchased Motor Magazine's "Supercars of the Seventies". This is a great companion book as it covers many of the precursors of those supercars and positions them into the wider context.

I have to say that Marcel Gandini is my favourite designer, and this book just confirms his exceptional abilities. But when you see, for example, the Pininfarina Modulo in close-up detail, you have to gasp at Paulo Martin's vision. Truly this was the best time for concept cars and this book captures a significant proportion of them in unrivalled photos.

The one downside is that at 34.5cm tall the book is slightly too big to fit in my bookshelf.

Highly recommended!

Andrew Wyeth: Autobiography
Andrew Wyeth: Autobiography
by Andrew Wyeth

4.0 out of 5 stars Present for my wife, who is very happy with it, 25 Feb. 2014
Following a TV documentary I bought this for my wife and she's very pleased with it. The quality of illustrations is very good, while the selection of pictures is comprehensive.

Sony Vaio Duo D1321X9E 13.3 inch Touchscreen Hybrid Notebook/Tablet (White) - (Intel Core i7 4500U 1.8GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, WLAN, WWAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop/tablet that I love using, 25 Feb. 2014
This Sony laptop/tablet is not cheap. However, it does have the niche to itself: fast CPUs, large RAM, decent-sized SSD, convertible tablet/laptop, 4G-capable, Windows 8.1. Mine has 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, and is black.

The screen is good, the keyboard is ok (with nice backlighting), the laptop-to-tablet switching mechanism works well, and it feels very solid. It has HDMI out for presentations (and comes with a converter to VGA if you need it). The 4G networking works seamlessly. The wifi reception is somewhat weak but adequate for me.

Probably the worst single feature is the pen holder. It's made of plastic and clips into a slot in the side. You then slip the pen into the holder. It feels very vulnerable stuck out at the side and I worry that I'll snap it off. There are no replacement clips available, as far as I can tell. But the pen itself is lovely to use, and removing it from the clip automatically starts up your preferred pen app -- I use MS OneNote which is good and has reasonable handwriting recognition too.

Overall I'm very happy with it. I think it will last me a long time and so is good value.

Page: 1 | 2