Profile for Leon R2Z > Reviews

Made In Japan
Offered by uniqueplace-uk
Price: 13.86

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album EVER!!!, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Made In Japan (Audio CD)
A friend of mine introduced me to this album about 3 months after it came out and I was totally blown away. SInce then I have owned the album on Tape, Vinyl and CD and pretty much worn them all out.

The album kicks off with a storming version of "Highway Star" which sets the tone for everything that follows. Five musicians absolutely at the top of their game determined to deliver a stunning set and boy do they deliver! I know that the album is culled from 3 seperate performances, but having got the full 3 CD set of all the performances I can assure you that the standard of musicianship is equally as high throughout.

One sign of a good live band is can they make the songs sound better live than in the studio and in this case the answer is a resounding "yes and then some", so much so that for me (and many others) these are the definitive version of each of the songs.

It doesn't matter how old you are, this album is an absolute must for any rock lovers collection. These days I drive taxi's and lots of young kids get in the cab and ask me to play some rock music for them. This is always my first choice and usually results in the kids saying they have to buy the album, adding that they never realised how good Deep Purple were (tragically many of them have never even heard of them)

For me Purple always were and always will be the greatest rock band ever. I have seen them many times over the years and they still rock, however this is when they were at their absolute peak, absolutely magical. Even after nearly forty years, the music still sounds fresh and exciting and as a guitar player Blackmore's soloing makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

All of the tracks are incredible, but for me "Lazy" is just awesome.

Not only the best "live" album ever, but THE BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME bar none.

Turn up the volume and enjoy!

Muscle of Love
Muscle of Love
Price: 7.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Still My Favourite Alice Album, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Muscle of Love (Audio CD)
I had this and several other Alice albums (most of the seventies stuff) in my youth. I loved it then and I love it still. For me it was always my favourite Alice album and it sounds even better today than it did then.

Most of Alice's offerings of the time dealt with macabre subjects whereas this album has overtly sexual overtones and clearly seems to be moving the band in a different direction. The band work behind the singing is stunning (particularly the guitar work) and the lyrics are clever and well thought out.

The previous reviewers have commented on "Man With The Golden Gun" and I agree with them it really would have made an outstanding Bond Theme. Other highlights for me are "Hard Hearted Alice", "Working Up A Sweat", the title track and although a little left field "Crazy Little Child".

Underrated by most who go for the more obvious offerings this one is well worth adding to your collection. Best seven quid I've spent in ages!