Profile for Mike > Reviews

R63 LED 7w E27 Replacment for Reflector R63 LED Light Bulb Energy saving
R63 LED 7w E27 Replacment for Reflector R63 LED Light Bulb Energy saving
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!, 20 April 2014
We were seriously considering going the considerable expense of installing a lantern roof in our dimly lit kitchen until we found these spotlights. The difference in light quality and output between these and the ghastly 'Eco' curly whirly things is absolutely amazing, and the saving in running costs is a tremendous bonus.

The first so-called green product that is actually better than the original filament bulbs.

Toshiba V711UK Video Cassette Recorder
Toshiba V711UK Video Cassette Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Our old VHS tapes are back, better than ever, 9 Jan. 2014
Like many, we have a whole library of VHS tapes including some home movies shot over the past 20 years. Now, at last, we can play them all again having bought this player/recorder as a reconditioned item in 2013. It was really easy to set up (although needed a special SCART adapter for our modern slimline TV)and shows all our old videos in much sharper focus than I can remember. Has auto tracking, and many other features that we'll probably never use.

Excellent service from the seller, too, by the way.

Skagen Gents Titanium Watch - 233XLTTN
Skagen Gents Titanium Watch - 233XLTTN
Offered by MORE WATCHES

1.0 out of 5 stars Erratic time keeping after only six months - still no better one year on, 27 Dec. 2013
While initially quite impressed with this watch (apart from a small but visible scratch on the front of the case)I'm now considerably less pleased with the fact that it keeps losing half an hour or so, sometimes overnight, sometimes over longer periods.

It may be nothing more than a prematurely failing battery, but I would have expected better. Not much point in an unreliable watch.

Quick update in December 2014 - the watch is losing time again, despite a new battery. The 'titanium' (? doesn't look or behave much like titanium to me ?) case is scratched and the strap is starting to look a bit the worse for wear. In summary, I regret this purchase and it has put me off the Skagen brand for its replacement. So it's down to one lonely star from me.

They and I
They and I

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to my childhood, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: They and I (Kindle Edition)
I read and loved this book as a child but had lost my copy. This Kindle version has rekindled (!) all those happy memories for next to nothing in terms of cost.

Osprey OSX Adult Wetsuit Boots / Aquaboots For Wetsuits
Osprey OSX Adult Wetsuit Boots / Aquaboots For Wetsuits
Offered by The Hubs

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect - and a fair price, 10 Jun. 2013
Bought these as a 'stocking filler' for SIL's birthday and they went down a storm, keeping his feet warm and dry. The boots arrived promptly, were exactly as described, and were a very fair price. That's five stars from me then.

Dragonologists Writing Kit: From the Desk of Dr Ernest Drake
Dragonologists Writing Kit: From the Desk of Dr Ernest Drake
by Dugald Steer
Edition: Ring-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 22 Feb. 2013
As with all the other Dragonologists books, this one is imaginatively designed and beautifully produced. My wife is a true dragon lover and she absolutely loves this one in particular as she can now bombard her friends with dragon notes!

Christmas 40 LED lights with holly and berries effect
Christmas 40 LED lights with holly and berries effect

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, lack of customer care, 22 Feb. 2013
Didn't like these from the instant I opened the box - ugly grey plastic sheathing behind each of the lights which is not visible in the photography.

Having put in two separate requests to the supplying company for returns authorisation I have now run out of time and the lights are gathering dust in the attic. Won't be buying from them again.

Womens Heat Holders The Ultimate Thermal Sock Size 4-8 Cerise
Womens Heat Holders The Ultimate Thermal Sock Size 4-8 Cerise
Offered by Sock Snob Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Feb. 2013
I bought these for my wife who suffers from terribly cold feet. Sadly, these failed to bring the promised warm glow. Other than that, the colour is cheerful and they arrived promptly.

Starlight Cosy Toes Under Blanket Single
Starlight Cosy Toes Under Blanket Single
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for caravans and motorhomes, 15 Oct. 2012
To some of the reviewers, the relatively small size of this electric blanket is a bad feature, but it's a positive advantage to anyone who, like us, wants to use it in their caravan or motorhome. My wife suffers terribly from cold feet in bed but this blanket has totally transformed her nights in our motorhome. She stays lovely and warm all night through, using the single size underneath her sleeping bag. It's been such a boon that I'm now ordering a second one as a spare just in case they become hard to get.

It stores away into a very small space and runs fine off typical camping site electric hookups, by the way. Pefect for warm nights when away!

Is That Bike Diesel, Mate?: One Man, One Bike and the First Lap Around Australia on Used Cooking Oil
by Paul Carter

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this book a pot-boiler, mate?, 9 Jan. 2012
Paul's first book, 'Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs' was funny and a great read. This one is neither.

It's supposed to be the story of a journey round Australia on a motorbike, so I expected it to be a litany of hilarious stories about people, places and mishaps along the route. It isn't.

The first half of the book is just a diary of how Paul prepared for the journey, with lots of names of different people who helped him (all of whom call each other mate). The second half is just a diary of the places Paul visited, with lots of names of different people who helped him etc etc. At least, I think it is - quite frankly I gave it all up for lost about half way round.

If you're interested in the details of CVT belts for Italian irrigation pump diesels, if you like to read about lots of people you don't know calling each other mate, then this book may be for you. Oh yes, Paul does include his much-vaunted 'seriously bad language' and - helpfully - puts much of it in capital letters just in case you might miss it. Great.

Sorry Paul, loved your first book. Bored by this one, which seems to be just a means of paying for the trip and thanking the sponsors and others who helped him.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3