Profile for Mrs. F. M. Dodd > Reviews

Content by Mrs. F. M. Dodd

Mrs. F. M. Dodd "fleur666" (Berkshrie, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
48mm x 25m Double Sided Carpet Tape
48mm x 25m Double Sided Carpet Tape
Offered by Diy-Direct
Price: 4.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Good double sided tape, FAST shipping, 10 July 2014
seller - Fast shipping, well packaged
item - good
the tape is white , not yellow as pictured, but that does not matter as the double sided sticky part of the tape is a clear / pale yellow colour, the white part of the tape is the removable part, but thought I would mention it as you never know what someone is using it for.

I am using it to keep the cats off the curtains

stickyness:
I would say it was medium sticky - a bit more than normal sellotape, but not as sticky as other tapes I have used, but fine for my purpose.

stuck to fabric:
YES, but would not require a great deal of pressure to remove it.

value:
good value - nice long roll at 25M, which is 5 x as long as some other tapes here on Amazon, and I paid (BGP) 4.56 for 25M which is a lot cheaper than the other sticky tapes advertised to keep cats from furniture or curtains.

size:
width - 48mm, nice and wide, offers good coverage for my purpose
length - 25M, good long length, longer than anumber of others here on Amazon.

Trixie 4305 Play Tunnel Nylon 3x , 22 cm / 50 cm
Trixie 4305 Play Tunnel Nylon 3x , 22 cm / 50 cm
Offered by SaveMoneyonThis
Price: 11.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely item, FAST shipping, 4 July 2014
Lovely item, FAST shipping

when I recieved the item, I was a bit perplexed that the manufacturer had decided to use cable ties to secure the pop up tunnel as well as the velcro tabs it comes with. The cable ties are plastic and done up really tightly which means it is a bit of an operation to get it open without damaging the item which could easily be cut whilst trying to remove the fixed cable ties (locked)

I set the tunnel down and introduced the kittens and they were rather timid at first and went for a snooze on the windowsill, so I thought " oh well, give it to the toy doggis next door", however half an hour later and they are all over it.

I have placed the tunnel between other activities and they are shooting though it at full speed, and also taking toys in and the other is outside batting at the other kitten through the tunnel until a little head pops up through the central hole.

All in all a success, only one star off due to the stupid packaging.

Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal 2)
Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal 2)
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars great - almost steampunk, with hints of agatha christie or Indiana Jones, 9 Jan 2014
This story is the second in the Johannes cabal series, the first being the set up to his background with the undead train - worth reading before starting book 2.
This one is based in a sort of WWII sort of theme, but with different countries, and a stempunk version of a zepplin.
It has mystery of an agatha christie orient express mixed witht he shenanigans and action you may expect from indiana Jones
A very good read, have just started the third which looks to be mindbendingly brilliant also

Gods and Heroes from Viking Mythology (World mythology series)
Gods and Heroes from Viking Mythology (World mythology series)
by Brian Branston

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, easy going, intro to Viking mythology, 9 Jan 2014
This book is written in an easy going style - perhpas designed for children although the subject matter may not be suitable, it is an ideal starter for anyoe interested in Viking mythology.
Some of the stories are amusing - in an aesops fables king of way, some are more Wagners ring cycle

Thieves' World (Penguin science fiction)
Thieves' World (Penguin science fiction)
by Robert Asprin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant set of stories - really well written - a classic, 9 Jan 2014
These stories are very well written and this is a classic collection based around a single theme
well known and brilliant authors
I miss this sort of high quality fantasy writing
you cannot buy it as a new book, but worth getting a second hand copy if you have not read it, or like me - if you read it yonks ago and need a fix of decent fantasy writing.

The Unicorn Crisis (The Hidden Academy Book 1)
The Unicorn Crisis (The Hidden Academy Book 1)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, witty and most entertaining, 4 Dec 2013
Being a fan of comic fantasy I started a forum thread here on Amazon to get ideas as I had read my way through all the books worth reading over the years, or so I thought.

A big huge thank-you to all the fellow comic fantasy fans who gave me, and each other many suggestions via the thread, and this was one of the suggestions - it is brilliant

The main character has the bad luck of what I would describe a Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently mixed with Terry Pratchett's Rincewind, whilst being as ruthless as a character from Asprins Thieve's World series.

It is really well written, although I found the Kindle edition to be full of spelling mistakes, grammar issues etc - this is more a function of the product than the story. If you can forgive those, and it is really worth doing so, this is a must to help you chortle away the Christmas holidays, or any other free time you have. I found it very hard to put down, and enjoyed reading it to the very end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2013 2:04 PM GMT

OXO Good Grips 2.8 Litre Pop Cookie Jar
OXO Good Grips 2.8 Litre Pop Cookie Jar
Price: 12.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy to clean, hardwearing, 4 Dec 2013
I added this to my christmas list last year, as I had run out of ideas, and could not find a novelty biscuit jar I liked in the tiem I had to write the list.
I am so glad I did - It may be plain and simple looking, but it works a treat, is just soo easy to use, and also really easy to clean (as a fan of dragon and fairy shaped things, I can state they are an unmittigated pain to clean)
It is robust as it is used pretty much daily by my son and his freinds, who now in their teenage years have not only a ravenous appetite and waft through the kitchen like a plague of locusts but have also lost the ability to gently do anything ( many a broken door lock, tea cup etc....) and has been through the dishwasher many times in the last year without any issues ( I handwash the top, it takes seconds and I do not want to risk the vacuum mechanism, it really is no bother to give it a rinse as it rarely gets anything on it - only one jaffa cake incident in the summer when number one son had left it on the windowsil and the chocolate on the biscuits had melted)
Also, as it is clear - it is easy to see when it needs to be restocked. Admittedly I do find that as it is clear it does entice you to a quick biscuit , as you can clearly see them calling to you , but perhaps that is just me.
definitely thumbs up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 8:31 PM GMT

Graceling
Graceling
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The second book, and much better than the first, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Graceling (Kindle Edition)
This book is, for me, much better than the first book, and has a good plot, and pace throughout.
It would be best to read the first book before starting this one, to get you up to speed on the main character, but do not be put off by the first book which takes a while to get going and is a little sketcy on plot at times, it is worth it, to get you ready for this book.
There is a third book in the series, but it is I believe, a prequel to the first book, chronologically, and focuses on one of the other characters ( not the main one) from book one, and I did not engage with that character in the first two books, so have not ventures to book three. I would, however, keep this author on my list for future possible books to read.

Fire (Graceling Book 2)
Fire (Graceling Book 2)
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The first book, good but takes a while to get going - second book is better so worth a read, 4 Dec 2013
This book is good and coulourful in its description, but took a while to get started and there were a couple of characters I could not get to grips with. However, I persevered and the second book which follows on chronologically from this one is much better and ahas a good pace throughout.
The main character is engaging and you look to see how they will progress throughout the story, which is always a good sign.
I believe there is a third book to the series, which chronologically is a prequel, but it is about one of the characters I could not get to grips with in this story, rather than the main character in this story, so have avoided that one.
Certainly an author I would investigate again for further novels in the future.

The Zombie Survival Guide Deck: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
The Zombie Survival Guide Deck: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
by Max Brooks
Edition: Cards
Price: 8.08

4.0 out of 5 stars handy, wipeclean, detailed, ready for the zombie apocalypse :-), 4 Dec 2013
My Husband loved these, when he opened these he did not put them down for at least half an hour, even though he had other presents still to unwrap!
The cards are wipeclean - useful in case used during the Zombie apocalypse, and are larger than expected.
If I had not already bought this for his birthday, I would say an ideal stocking filler for any Zombie Apocalypse enthusiast.
Quite funny too :-)