Profile for suse > Reviews

Content by suse

suse

Page: 1 | 2
Making the Running (Aspen Valley Book 4)
Making the Running (Aspen Valley Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Fast Paced, 27 Feb. 2015
“Making the Running” starts in a different way to the previous books, in that the main focus initially is on romance and the horses take a back seat. I would describe the other books as horse racing with a hint of mystery and a dash of romance, whereas “Making the Running” starts as romance against a backdrop of horse racing, before the racing world steps into the limelight half way through.

The book follows Kate, a stable girl at Aspen Valley, and her relationship with racing manager, Nicholas, and his race jockey brother, Benedict. What I really liked about “Making the Running” was how, despite new protagonists the loose ends from previous books are tied up. For example, Jack and Pippa met in the first book ” Keeping the Peace”, and by this fourth book we learn that they are now married and have a toddler. This makes Aspen Valley a more believable place as, much like a soap opera, characters continue to play an important role in other plots.

As Kate discovers her feelings towards the two brothers, the closet skeletons of her teenage years come back to haunt her as she tries to help her younger sister and brother make the transition into independence. Meanwhile, to give the reader a good equine storyline Kate`s favourite Aspen Valley horse, d`Artagnan, is embroiled in some race rigging. Angry that d`Artagnan isn`t allowed to do the best he can at the races, Kate investigates the motives of Nicholas and Ben, as well as their relationship with each other and herself.

“Making the Running” has many more exciting racing scenes than in previous books. The fast paced descriptions made my heart race as I imagined the horses fighting it out over famous racecourses. The balance between the simplicity of describing the race and giving my imagination enough fuel to see the horses jumping the hedge, pecking on landing and jockeys scrubbing their hands was perfect. I was riding those races and, at the same time, jumping up and down on the siderail as my favourite passed the finish line.

As with all good novels, Kate builds bridges with her family, works out who she loves, and helps d’Artagnan in his racing career. The plot had a couple of extra twists though, which kept me on the edge of my seat until I had read 99% of the book and everyone lived happily ever after. Well, I assume so, but I guess Book Five will tell me that!

I can`t resist putting in my favourite quote. It, along with several others, made me giggle out loud – much to the amusement of the xBox-playing-other-half.

Saskia looked doubtful. “Maybe I shouldn`t encourage him. I don`t really fancy dating a Welshman.”
“Why?”
“Have you seen their language? It looks like a dictionary sneezed.”

As a reluctant Welsh-learner at school, I can fully relate to this!

Rosie
Rosie

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Rosie (Kindle Edition)
Having previously read Georgia by Lesley Pearce I wasn`t sure how Rosie would compare - if possible, it was better! The story was believable, I empathised with all the characters, loved Donald continuously, fell in love and then back out of love with Gareth, hated Seth, and then pitied Cole. Would definately recommend to anyone :D

What Katy Did
What Katy Did

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my childhood favourites, 1 July 2012
This review is from: What Katy Did (Kindle Edition)
As excellent as I remember when I was 8 years old! It is the best in it`s series, What Katy Did at School I felt was a bit of a let down, which discouraged me from reading the rest of the series (which are much better than that!) for years.

The Learning Curve
The Learning Curve

5.0 out of 5 stars light hearted read, 1 July 2012
This book was fab, I loved the light heartedness, easy to read dialogue with many LOL moments :) It was fast paced and the ending was fab - could have kept on reading with an epilogue or something, just so that I knew the Happy Ending was a success.

Persuading Annie
Persuading Annie

4.0 out of 5 stars most enjoyable, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Kindle Edition)
A light hearted commical book, which was a bit slow starting but once I got into it I couldn`t put it down - the characters, whilst not particularly likeable were very comical.

Clover
Clover

4.0 out of 5 stars under rated book, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Clover (Kindle Edition)
this book is the poor relative of What Katy Did, but it`s actually a very good read, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Heidi
Heidi

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Classic, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Heidi (Kindle Edition)
This book is one of my favourite childhood books, and it still has the same magic :) I`d love to be able to get hold of the rest of the books in the Heidi series next.

Stolen
Stolen

5.0 out of 5 stars "Real page-turner", 1 July 2012
This review is from: Stolen (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book, could NOT put it down! I started to guess the plot, but didn`t manage to connect all the characters and their histories correctly. The ending was perfect, I just wanted to keep reading it!

Five Children and It
Five Children and It

4.0 out of 5 stars classic :), 1 July 2012
Just as I remember - a true classic. Now I need to find the Kindle edition of the Phoenix and the Carpet.

Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley Book 1)
Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 1 July 2012
Fast paced, emotional book. Loved it!! I really empathised with all the characters, which were larger than life! Taught me a little more about racing, and made me want to go to the Grand National next year :)

Page: 1 | 2