Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard "bajor_uk"

Page: 1 | 2
CSL - 300 Mbit/s WiFi Adapter with antenna connector and removable antenna / Wireless LAN / USB 2.0 Adaptor / Mini Dongle 802.11n/b/g / SMA connection 150 54 / works with Windows 7 + Windows 8 + Windows 8.1 / Raspberry Pi / MacOS | particularly high coverage
Offered by CSL-Computer
Price: 10.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but grief!, 30 May 2014
It is probably a combination of circumstances but I have not been a happy bunny!

Problem one was it took something like 12 days to arrive from placing the order. Partly this could be due to Royal mail but it was at least 3 days before the order was notified as dispatched. It was despatched by Amazon but they say it is fulfilled by CSL so I'm not sure whether they have to send it to Amazon first. With tec stuff like this you tend to want the things urgently as I was using an almost failed dongle to keep the internet up. Normally suppliers realise this and even with super saver delivery they are quick but in this case everything was very slow.

Problem number 2 and a bigger problem (if delivery was a one off issue) was that when it arrived it did not plug and play. You needed the disc to install and unfortunately this was a mini disc. Some PC's may be OK with this but mine is a slim stand up one with the DVD/CD player vertical and could not get it to accept the mini disc as there was nothing to secure it in place. I thought this was especially cheapskate (rather than any sound ecological reason!)- I am sure we cannot be talking more than pennies to have a normal sized CD.

This left me looking online for a driver and problem number 3. CSL appears to be a German company and I could not find any English language site in the search for a driver. Additionally it is not obvious that this has a model number which made it harder to search. Finally reading the Amazon reviews I was led to the realtek website (the review also gave a number to search for the driver). Located the driver and started a download. It must have been bundled up with other stuff as it was a 20 minute download.

Having completed the download it was relatively simple from there and you just click for the internet access icon and choose the wi fi network you want, enter password and you are connected.

The only reason I haven't given this a 1/5 is that the internet connection is currently showing 5 bars which is 2 or 3 more bars than I had been getting with the old dongle. The hypocrite in me is saying if this keeps up and is proven to be faster then it wouldn't stop me buying another one for our other machine now I know what I am doing! I am hoping the extra work pays off and this turns out to be a good adaptor. For other people and especially people with not much computer knowledge I would suggest going elsewhere or at least checking that your CD/DVD drive can handle a mini disc.

Bens 100 Insect Repellent Spray 37Ml
Bens 100 Insect Repellent Spray 37Ml
Offered by Your247Chemist
Price: 5.72

5.0 out of 5 stars We swear by it!, 18 April 2014
I used to use whatever mozzie sprays were available from the chemist and was always getting bitten. At some point I picked up this spray, did not get bitten and have stuck by it ever since. Mozzie bites are largely a thing of the past whereas I used to come back with tons of them.

Obvious tips are to make sure you get the spray on at the right times- first thing in the morning after shower and before you venture out of your room and just before it starts to get dark. It says it lasts for 10 hours but if you are away from a beachy area and in an area with lots of greenery I suggest a top up at midday just to be safe and make sure ALL exposed areas of the skin are covered. Do that and you should be bite free at the end of your holiday!

OOOZU Language Cards Multipack - Spanish, Italian, French, German, Portuguese, Greek & Turkish - 7 Language Cards | Keep the essential words in your wallet, purse or pocket | Light to carry, quick to use, made from biodegradable plastic | Easy alternative to phrasebook (phrase book), dictionary, mobile phone or tablet translation app | Great for backpacking, camping, skiing | Perfect for travel to Barcelona, Madrid, Andalucia, Paris, Provence, Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence, Tuscany, Sardinia, Berlin, Vienna, Lisbon, Istanbul, Athens, Geneva, Brussels, Crete, Sicily, Cyprus and elsewhere in Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland and around Europe!
Offered by ooozu
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, 27 Mar 2014
Very handy. Gets you through the basics with ease and none of the hassle of carrying a book around with you.

Kubik Edge II 4GB Touchscreen MP3 and Video Player
Kubik Edge II 4GB Touchscreen MP3 and Video Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Drag and drop paradise!, 1 Nov 2013
I am so pleased to have finally found a decent drag and drop MP3 player!!! I gave it 5 stars although in truth it is probably a 4 star but I am being generous as I am relieved to not have to mess around with PC software such as i-tunes or even Windows media player. Just connect it to your PC go to the relevant folder on your PC and pull the files over to the player.

The other big advantage to this player is that you can use the explorer function to see exactly the same folders in the same layout that you moved across to the MP3 player- I've not seen any other decent players have this function. Although some do drag and drop they then expect you to search by artist/album/genre etc. This player I can just drop yellow folders for whatever compilations I want to make for whatever mood I am in and play those exact folders.

My one complaint is that they have moved to the same touchscreen format as most other big companies seem to be doing. I hate touchscreen and even though I am 51 years old I can't help feeling like the boy who saw that the emperor's new clothes were not worth the price! I wanted the extra space which wasn't available with the other button pressing model (although I see this has been discontinued anyway) otherwise I would have opted for that version. This particular touchscreen is a bit fiddly and I am liable to touch the wrong menu easily unless you use the pen provided. Also the screen is not fantastic, particularly the battery life indicator and I have found it impossible to work out how charged the battery is. However it does seem to have good battery life and maybe I have just not seen it when it is running out of juice which may then become clearer.

Sound is OK although again the touchscreen puts me off trying all the different options that might get the sound quality the way I want it.

I thoroughly recommend this player to anyone who is not a teccie and/or does not want to spend a half day of their life messing with unnecessary software.

Desire Lines
Desire Lines
Price: 10.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful as ever, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Desire Lines (Audio CD)
With nothing heard from the band for a long time I was beginning to think the worst but at last we have a new LP.

Following the trend of "Maudlin Career" Songs are less high tempo than "Let's get out of this country" and more reflective. It doesn't matter to me- I like all of it and this record seems to bring out the best in Traceyanne's beautiful voice. On 5 listens "Break it to me gently" is my favourite and certainly the most catchy on the record. However I think this record will be a grower and once I get to 20 listens I will probably have changed my mind!

Ironically it also has a Summer feel to it, despite the obviously melancholy lyrics.

The only band worth listening to in 2013 and from someone who used to buy about 2 or 3 records a week in the 80's and 90's this is the first LP I have bought this year- a must have.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2013 12:21 PM BST

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]
Price: 129.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Decide what you want to use your kindle for!, 31 Dec 2012
Both myself and my wife have a basic Kindle already and love it.

However recently my wife's mum was given a Kindle Fire and we were given the task of getting her going. Obviously the Fire does a lot more things than the basic model but from our point of view it is a step back if you are just using it for reading books. There are so many gizmos out there now that you need to decide if you want to play music, videos etc or if you have other devices for that job.

Issues we had with the Fire was the 'carousel' which is on the front menu page when you switch on. If you download a book that is not bought direct from Amazon, the book will not appear in the books folder ever (even if that is where you put it by dragging and dropping from your PC) and it remains in the carousel which makes the front menu VERY cluttered as it contains covers of the books rather than in list form. Additional irritation is that on the basic Kindle, if you switch it off and switch it on it remains on the page you left it at. On the Kindle fire if you switch it off and on it will return you to the main menu and you have to go searching for the book all over again. The workaround is to put the Kindle into 'sleep' mode by pressing the off switch for a millisecond. Apparently this does not waste any more battery power than if it was switched off but is not an intuitive thing to do.

Our further concerns were that the screen did not seem as good as the original Kindle being more shiny. Practice may prove us wrong but the original Kindle looks like it would handle sun glare much better. Additionally the touch screen where you flick the screen to turn a page did not seem to us as natural as pressing a button on the side to turn a page. The touch screen also makes it more difficult to access the menu as those buttons are sometimes hidden unless you press in a certain place (we found it to be the middle of the bottom of the screen). The button pressing seems quicker and less prone to error and it feels like it has been done like this just because it is trendy to have touch screen rather than being functionally any better.

All in all I think if you are buying this for an elderly relative or someone who just wants to read books then you are far better off with the basic model. If you really need music and videos then it's worth considering but equally worth considering if you can just get these on an updated mobile phone.

I hope this is not the future for Kindle because one of the nice things about the cheaper model is its simplicity. The Kindle now seems to be heading for teccie heaven which for 99% of the population never was the idea of real heaven!

Mandy [DVD] [1952]
Mandy [DVD] [1952]
Dvd ~ Phyllis Calvert
Price: 11.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex and Moving, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Mandy [DVD] [1952] (DVD)
As others have said the storyline is about a deaf girl in the 1950's and the problems she encounters in getting the right education both in terms of social attitudes, resources and teaching methods. It is a bit of a weepy but there are subtleties that, for me anyway, make this something of a classic.

Although the viewer is obviously primarily concerned about Mandy, this central theme is also used to explore the attitudes and relationships of the other main characters, mainly relevant to the 1950's but some of it timeless. Primarily the mother is fighting for what she feels is the correct education in a special school against the wishes of her husband and his family. However this is not simply a right/wrong, good/bad storyline where good has to triumph. It is also about characters who make choices based on their upbringing, concepts and personal circumstances.

While there are many snobbish traits to the family and while the family clearly make wrong choices, the character interraction is quite subtle. The husband in particular is a complex character who does tend towards loving his wife and wanting to do the best for his child but who does also tend to believe that his choices are the right ones and that he should be the one to decide. When she goes against his wishes he has conflicts that fall short of an all out confrontation with her, still damaging the situation but not as badly as he could have. There is also a subplot of issues at the school with the headmaster who, although totally dedicated to the welfare of the children and correct in his teaching methods, is also slightly arrogant and to an extent in part responsible for the conflict he ends up facing with governors of the school. There are other nice touches, in particular showing the stresses faced by a new teacher, that demonstrate how fine the line is for a potential breakdown in care at the school.

All of these conflicts and complex personalities build up a tension throughout the film as there are a number of crossroads where these issues threaten to derail Mandy's development. The film does reach a conclusion but leaves many relationships and the future still to be worked through.

A fabulous film and one from an era which allowed multi dimensional characters and was not afraid to leave loose ends rather than bring the story to a complete conclusion. A precursor to films such as 'A Taste Of Honey' but in my view superior.

Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, 22 May 2012
I previously owned a Lide 100 which when working had been fine but I had a lot of problems with connectivity. Sometimes the PC refused to recognise it, sometimes it would do one scan and then freeze. Spent many hours at various stages of it's life uninstalling and reinstalling software and scanner drive, switching USB sockets etc and randomly it seemed to overcome the problem and start working again. Finally however I just couldn't get it to function again and thought long and hard before getting another Lide. However given the price and the choice available I took a chance and have to say it has so far been brilliant.

For anyone who owns an older model the improvement in scan speed makes it worth buying for that alone. Seems to take about 10 seconds to scan one page compared to what felt like 30 seconds to a minute on the old one. It has made life so much easier as I have a great deal of scanning to do. Scan quality is good too. I am still a little bit nervous about reliability given the problems with my old one but so far no sign that those problems are going to be repeated.

LG RHT497H Digital TV Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc  Drive & DVD Recorder
LG RHT497H Digital TV Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc Drive & DVD Recorder

3.0 out of 5 stars Reliable but far from ideal, 21 April 2010
I bought this as a replacement for an old Disc only DVD recorder which had started to create a load of coasters and failed to work well with the more up to date blank DVD discs. As this is my first experience with an HDD recorder it's difficult to know what to judge it against but obviously good to have the safety of knowing a recording won't fail.
The positives are that it seems reliable so far has always correctly recorded programmes using the timer. It has also burned onto blank discs without any failures. I guess that has to be the most important thing and it also seems to have no problem with any sort of disc you throw at it and a good menu if you are playing Avi's, Divex etc.
The negatives are that the software and menus are not the easiest to get the hang of and the manual is absolutely awful- a lot of the key things you want to do are hidden away within the menus and the manual has to be read very carefully before you can work them out. Bad terminology means the manual will call things like recording/burning onto a disc 'dubbing' and the dubbing function is tucked away inside the HDD menu. Minor things include having to switch between DVD mode and HDD mode, for example if you have a DVD already in there and want to record a TV programme onto the HDD you need to press the HDD button first. Also seems to be no obvious eject button on the model itself (although it did work once somehow) so you need to use the remote for ejecting which personally I find an inconvenience.
There is one issue that was a serious problem for me which I wrote to LG customers services about and they said there wasn't a solution. Fortunately after scanning the net I did find one. The problem is with the timer function. I use the AV scart for everything including cable TV, which I would have thought was fairly standard these days. When I first tried to use timer record the machine told me that I needed to set up channels first. I ran through the set up channel process (knowing it wouldn't detect any channels as I didn't have a digital aerial for the freeview and didn't need one as I had cable). It still didn't allow me to access timer record after running this. The solution is that you need to buy/borrow a digital aerial and find some channels on the freeview. Once it's found channels it is quite happy to let you into timer record even if you disconnect the digital aerial. I found the solution when someone reviewed an older model so it was a bit disappointing that this hasn't been fixed yet. So basically if you want to timer record from the AV scart socket and don't own a digital aerial then you will need to buy one.
One other issue I had was that it doesn't appear to allow you to burn direct to a disc and you have to record to the HDD first. Maybe sensible as you won't have lost the recording if the disc fails, but it does mean a 3 hour recording will take you six hours to produce a disc as it records in real time onto the disc. A little worry with this is that it appears that it is re-recording the already recorded file rather than just transferring the recorded file onto the disc. The concern with this is a loss of quality from two sets of recording although I haven't noticed any obvious deterioration. This threw me a bit as I was originally recording to the HDD in standard quality mode and then when burning to disc was offered the different quality options again, so now I record to HDD in high quality mode and burn to disc at the quality level I need.

So, all in all, I am now happy with my machine and am used to the menus and software but I didn't like the grief and hassle to get to where I am now. It does appear to be solid and reliable though and despite the learning curve I do like it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2013 5:29 PM BST

The First One Hundred Years of the Isthmian Football League
The First One Hundred Years of the Isthmian Football League
by Nick Robinson
Price: 17.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Dec 2009
Excellent history of the Isthmian League.

Most books of this type focus mainly on stats. Although this has comprehensive records of results and league tables there is plenty to read as well with a good selection of photos too. It should appeal to any football fan and not just those of an Isthmian League club. At over 300 A4 pages remarkably good value and a great read.

Page: 1 | 2