Profile for Chopper > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Tiger Tracks - The Classic Panzer Memoir
Tiger Tracks - The Classic Panzer Memoir

3.0 out of 5 stars Fact or Fiction?, 8 Mar. 2016
There is not much more I can add about this book that other reviewers have already provided, except to say I found the combat scenes vivid, the storyline OK, and the whole things rattles along fairly well.
So, that leaves you to decide at the end of the book..... Fact or Fiction?
I plumped for fiction and have therefore reviewed it as such.

SS Panzer SS Voices (Eyewitness panzer crews) Books 1 & 2: Barbarossa to Berlin
SS Panzer SS Voices (Eyewitness panzer crews) Books 1 & 2: Barbarossa to Berlin

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap sensationalist fiction?, 8 Mar. 2016
OK, we all know that the Waffen-SS were involved in considerably more atrocities than the Wermacht as a whole.
Also they considered themselves superior to all. ( German & non-German).
I set that aside upon reading. I was looking for the memoirs of fighting soldiers, and maybe what the mental make-up of an SS soldier was like.
Supposedly these "interviews" were conducted in the early 1960's. No corroboration, sources, names, regiments, units etc etc.
The Interviewees all declined to be sidetracked or drawn about ideology, or "incidents" ( one interviewee hinted at the Oradour sur Glalne atrocity).
It all felt a little smoke & mirrors, like a party political broadcast.
So at the end I was reading what amounted to short stories by an author like Sven Hassel (Wheels of Terror etc).
Herr Hassel has been pretty much discredited lately.
Therefore what I felt I was reading was cheap fiction, however the arrogance of the unrepentant Nazi soldiers shone through, which rather tainted it for me.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Baggy trousers!, 18 April 2013
I bought these trousers for use when riding my motorcycle. No other use.

i wanted some abrasion protection in case I get it wrong one day, and also thigh pockets to stash small items in.
They seem to meet the first requirement (hopefuly I will not "road test" them by sliding down the road whilst wearing them).
The second requirement is well covered. They have 2 more leg pockets than I expected. good.
Build quality seems good but i will update after an extended period of wear.

They are very baggy, more than i expected and longer than my "normal" leg length &
I do not like the "trouser blouser" tie cords at the ankles, so I will get them shortened & turned up.

A nice pair of trousers.

Dunlop 360112 Professional Split Cow Leather Driving Gloves Large L Grey cat. 2 Certified EN388/ 3132

3.0 out of 5 stars Workmanlike, 18 April 2013
I bought these gloves for use as motorcycle riding gloves.

Initial thoughts:-
i am disappointed because the finish is a bit poor. the cutting of the leather for example.The nap of the leather is rough.
the stitching seems OK, but they are not as supple as the other Dunlop driving gloves I bought at the same time, although the leather seems to be the same thickness.. ( see seperate review).
In fact they seem more like work or gardening gloves, so that is the use I will put them to currently.

i will upgrade the review after an extended period of use.

Dunlop 360123 Professional Driving Gloves Extra Strong with Aeration Holes Cat 2 Certified EN 388/ 2021
Offered by Tresmax

4.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit., 18 April 2013
I wanted these gloves for use when riding a motorcycle in hot weather.

The leather is nice & supple and the fit almost perfect for my almost "average" hand size.
the stitching and finish seems very good too.
In use, they work well, but i have only used them for less than a week.

My very small gripe is that the method of packaging involves a plastic tag through the cuff to the backing card. this not surprisingly leaves 2 holes in each cuff. Not a major iassue unless it becomes bigger.

I will adjust the amount of stars up or down as appropriate after a longer period of use.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars useful stuff, 18 April 2013
I have used this product when I required physio therapy and found it excellent stuff.Strong, stretchy and does not degrade quickly.

However I purchased this item with a view to 2 other uses:
First, I run a dive centre and this makes excellent strong alternate air source holders (divers will know what i mean) with a little bit of work. So far so good.
Second, I use it as catapult elastic. The purpose built stuff is expensive and does not last long. The Thera-band seems to do the job as well as purpose made elastics. The local cats do not know what has hit them (literally!).

I know it is not being used for what it was designed, but it is being used for what I intended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 12:50 PM BST

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing but not hilarious, 16 Jan. 2013
There are over 900 reviews on this book so I will make mine short.

The plot is as per the book description.Old guy disappears from the old folks home and steals a suitcase with valuable contents, falls in with some
strange characters etc. Threaded through the present narrative are chapters from Allan's amazing unbelievable life.

Once I started reading,I thought i had bought a kids book in error.
The writing style is unusual and rambles along with florid descriptions of irrelevant things.
i love black humour, and some of the content is dark, but not particularly funny.
The idea is interesting and it almost works.Almost. Towards the end I found myself wanting to finish it so I could read something else.

If you suspend the rational side of your brain and just jump into the book and go with the story it is an OK read.

Thanks for reading this.
Tick the box if it was helpful.

Hornet Flight
Hornet Flight
by Ken Follett

3.0 out of 5 stars predictable, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hornet Flight (Paperback)
Set in June 1941 in occupied Denmark.
The book covers the discovery of a new German radar installation on an isolated Danish island by a patriotic Danish schoolboy..
This radar is responsible for causing disproportionate losses to RAF bombers on their raids en-route to Germany.
The hero's & heroine then try to get the details of this installation to the UK by renovating and prparing a light aircraft under the noses of the German military and flying it to England so the "boffins" can come up with a solution to reduce the losses. Phew!

i found the idea and plot was good. It moves at a fair pace, but as i got further into it i started to lose interest with some of the steroptypical characters, and the improbable events e.g a man with a handgun winning a shootout with an aircraft rushing at him.
I finished it Ok and then immediately dismissed it.
The mark of a good book for me is: does it leave an impression? Does it cause me to go off and read related material? To find out more about some aspect of the subject of the book?
This one did not, hence the 3 stars,

If this review has been helpful please click the "Yes" button. Thanks for reading this.

The Miscellany of Britain
The Miscellany of Britain
by Tom O'Meara

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 9 Jan. 2013
This is a mini coffee table book you can pick up when you have a moment and have a chuckle at over a beer ( or whatever your poison is).

It covers People, some illustrious such as Nelson & Wellington and some who will (hopefully) be forgotten in a few years.
Places and landmarks, Historical tid-bits, and the ubiquious British culture.
Sports & customs are also up for scrutiny.

All in all a light hearted look at the British and the mark we have made on the world.
An excellent gift for an homesick ex-pat. thanks Sis!

Sharpe's Trafalgar: The Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805 (The Sharpe Series, Book 4)
by Bernard Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 9 Jan. 2013
Set in 1805 this book finds Sharpe in India preparing to return to England.
On the way back Sharpe lends a helping hand at the battle of Trafalgar.

I wondered how Mr Cornwell was going to get the landlubber Sharpe his sea-legs, and he does this in a very slick, well thought out plot.
The story unfolds at a fair old pace and appears plausible.

I enjoyed this book but feel that this is a different Sharpe to the ones I read & loved all those years ago.
I have read most, if not all, of the earlier Sharpe series and was surprised to find this one. Then i realised it was written
later than the others I had previously read but covered an earlier part of Shape's career.
So, it is the TV "Sean Bean" Sharpe not the print version of Sharpe.

Never mind, a good read none-the-less.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17