Profile for Austin > Reviews

I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook
I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook
by Sarah Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 26 May 2014
I did the 8 week detox using Sarah's book and this is a great follow on. The detox helps you to drastically reduce your sugar consumption. In the detox you do quit sugar for a month but then you rebuild in 2 pieces of fruit and the odd treat so it's not completely sugar free but your aiming for about 10g or less a day
I feel so much better, I eat when I'm hungry now and feel in control of my eating rather than food controlling me. My head feels clearer too. I've lost some weight - gradually which is an added bonus. I didn't have sugar in tea and coffee but I did buy some ready meals and some processed foods - so I was probably consuming a lot more sugar than I realised. I've always struggled with my weight and have come to the conclusion that sugar in food could be a factor.
This book is good because there are some menu plans to give you some ideas for your weekly shop. All the receipes I've tried so far have been very tasty. I mostly cook from scratch now which takes more time but is definately more satisfying and I know what's going in my body too.
I love Sarah's philosophy about not wasting food - she sticks to some basic ingredients which means that once you've stocked up you can make a lot of the meals/ treats. Saves on storage and waste. She's also a big fan of using up what you have and a lot of her suggestions are how to use up bits and pieces. BRILL! I also love the fact that although she gives ways of making things like cream cheese she's not to precious about using bought products when you need to.
The only disadvantage I find is it's taking a while to wrap my head around the ideas - but I'm really excited to try. It's a very way of living to what I'm used to and life-style changes are always time consuming. The whole philosophy behind the book is living a healthier - but enjoyable- lifestyle and without making impossible changes and I'm a big fan.
I live in Britain (England) and so far sourcing the more unusual ingredients isn't impossible, I've found some in the supermarkets, amazon and healthfood shops. When I see a product I need now I tend to buy multiples and make a note of where I got it from. But as a lot of her receipes are based on good meats, veggies and berries a lot of stuff can be found in any grocery store.
Being Australian her ingredients are measured in cups but she gives grams in brackets.
Would recomend this book if you've done the sugar detox or you just want to try some of the receipes
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 9:17 AM GMT

SILICONE GEL Nurses Fob Watch (Washable, Infection Free) - PURPLE
SILICONE GEL Nurses Fob Watch (Washable, Infection Free) - PURPLE
Offered by domire-light

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect little job, 18 April 2014
Perfect for my needs, really cheap. The only negative is the safety pin can tear thinner material, I work in an environment where I wear my own clothes. It's fine it just needs to go on thicker fabric. Lovely choice of colours.

Clearspring Organic Rice Malt Syrup 330g
Clearspring Organic Rice Malt Syrup 330g
Offered by Blue Herbs

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 18 April 2014
Nice taste, exactly what I wanted. The only problem is I have a gluten intolerance and I don't remember seeing the info on the description that it contained gluten - so unfortunately I can't continue to use it. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known. That's the only reason I gave it 4 stars. Other than that it's a very good product. I did try it in a receipe and it tasted very nice, I just can't continue to use it.
Came on time well packaged
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 10:30 AM BST

The Attenbury Emeralds (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 3)
The Attenbury Emeralds (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars okay detective story, very poor mans DLS, 24 Mar 2014
If you enjoy detective stories you may like this. If you are reading it as a fan of D.L.Sayers and the Wimsey, Harriet, Bunter triangle then it may disapoint. I didn't find plot interesting enough, the characters seemed too similar to each other and there was very little about Harriet and Peter's (let alone Bunter and Mrs. Bunter's) inner lives. In the DLS books the characters had there own lives and as much in love as Harriet and Peter were ,there were always differences in the way they spoke, thought and acted. In comparison these characters seem like cardboard cut-outs. If you lifted some dialogue out of the page I suspect you'd find it difficult to work out who was talking. Lord Peter has gone very soft and pc in his old age, made me feel quite nauseated. Without spoiling anything there were a few obvious loose ends left hanging. I was disapointed. This is not even close to 'Thrones and Dominations' which was a good read. After this one I may stick to the original stories, there's no point hanging on for more news about H&P if you don't recognise them.
However it's not a bad story and I was interested to find out what happened. But I do miss Harriet and
Peter :-(

The Sweet Poison Quit Plan
The Sweet Poison Quit Plan

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing information!, 23 Mar 2014
I've been looking at ways to lose weight and become increasingly distrustful of the advice I was getting. Diets have been proven not to work long-term over and over and yet it's the same information that gets churned out over and over. Low fat (high sugar), High protein (low carbs - including fruit and veg). It generally revolves around giving up on one food group and doesn't work long term. Exercise 5 times a week. If it doesn't work it must be because you're a glutton, lazy, weak willed, no self- respect...
The information that seemed to add up to me is 'The Food Doctor', Ian Marber (which is low sugar), 'I quit sugar' Sarah Wilson and now this book which seems to be the final piece in the puzzle for me.

David Gillespie is or was a lawyer and has approached this from the viewpoint of gathering evidence for a case. I hadn't meant to give up sugar but I had been reducing the amount I was eating. The reason for dieticians and nutritionists advising low fat and exercise seems to be based on some very superficial evidence. Sugar is probably the least useful food we eat and most processed food, especially low-fat, is riddled with it. There is growing evidence that sugar is linked to a lot of health problems and sugar is highly addictive. The evidence became so compelling I couldn't put the book down and I quit sugar 2 days ago (apart from the natural sugar found in fruit and some vegetables - I limit myself to one or 2 pieces of fruit a day.

The book starts by giving you the evidence (fairly detailed but well worth reading), then there's a step-by-step guide to giving up, followed by some recipes. I've gone cold turkey, but there are guidelines to gradually reducing. There's also a list of products to avoid and products that will fit the programme. You can continue with the odd glass of wine (but not desert, sweet or fortified e.g. sherry/ port). Exercise is fine but moderate, you don't have to kill youself.

It's obviously early days for me, there are supposed to be some withdrawal symptoms but plenty of advice to help you through. I've had cold symptoms today (could just be a cold, but I could also be detoxing) and very tired, no major symptoms so far. But I've also noticed a drop in appetite - normally when I have a cold I have increased appetite? I'm hoping to lose weight but if the evidence is to be believed the health benefits will be ample reward.

I seem to fit in with the group of people who are addicted to sugar, so it seems to make sense to me to try and quit. Some people can eat sugar all day and never put a 1lb on, but then I can take or leave alcohol and some people can't have a sip. It's a really interesting book, easy to read and if like me you are tired of trying to lose weight and eat healthy but never seeing results maybe this is the book for you?

Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Good money saving tips and tasty food, 28 Sep 2013
This is not a cook book for someone on a very tight budget, but if you are trying to reduce waste and trim your food budget I would definately recommend it.
If you like Jamie's cooking this will probably suit your tastes, he doesn't disappoint in the taste stakes at all. The premis seems to be you start off with a large joint for your Sunday roast and then a selection of receipes to use up the leftovers. There's a chapter eaach for Chicken, Beef, Pork, Fish, vegetables and veggie receipes. Each chapter also has receipes for meat/fish or veggies for simple but very tasty meals. There'salso some bonusreceipes at the end for more budget, quick and tasty meals for under a £1 like leek and potato soup, cheddar and pea omlette and so on some of these are very basic and perhaps a bit obvious but nice all the same. There's only a few pages on deserts and that mostly to do with ideas for using fruit - healthy?
There's some very good ideas on not letting food go off, e.g. what to do with leftover herbs, soft fruit, wine, misc things like chillies, fresh ginger etc. that have got me checking my fridge more regularly to freeze, dry, pickle the odds and ends.
Most of the receipes are on one page and have a small list of ingredients. I might not recomend it to someone who'd never cooked before, but the methods aren't complicated. And you can adapt the equipment you need for instance there's a lovely receipe for Sweet potato and spinach frittata for 4 which is very easy to adapt to 2 or 1 portions, Jamie recomends you use an ovenproof frying pan I just put everything into the lid of a pyrex dish as long as you remember to grease it it works really well. This is already one of my favourite meals!
There's a calorie count and nutrional breakdown for each meal and a list of the basic equipment you might need.
I've seen a reduction in my weekly food bill of about 20%, I think I've accomplished this by cutting out ready meals, and not buying junk, using the avoiding waste tips and trying to avoid processed food. Because there's a big variety in quick and easy meals that are as tasty as you would expect from Jamie I'm less tempted to take expensive shortcuts

Hamlet [DVD]
Hamlet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful version, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hamlet [DVD] (DVD)
I found this version very easy to watch, Mel Gibson as Hamlet, handles the emotion of mistrust, grief and vengence very well and I found Helena Bonham Carters (Ophelia) descent into madness/ grief also very believable. There was some attempt at explaining Mrs Hamlet's (Gertrude) quick turn of emotion to her once brother in law in the opening scenes which I haven't seen before and was quite interesting.
There is some editing from the text and bits missed out or shortened which I don't think helped the Polonius character and the relationship with his daughter and son and probably the reason I didn't give 5 stars but the full length film would probably be 3 hours and this length of film was less common in the 90's.
The film looks to be set in the time it was written and the costumes and set are beautifully shot and help to give an impression of life in those times. I bought this version because it's a set piece on a shakespeare course I've just started but would recomend it to anyone.

Capacity
Capacity
by Tony Ballantyne

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly odd, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Capacity (Paperback)
A sci-fi genre, well written but I doubt I would choose to buy the sequel. I wasn't that keen because the subject matter dwelt a lot on S&M, although it stayed clear of being pervy it's not a subject I enjoyed reading about.
The literary structure is fascinating, with a number of different strands I nearly gave up reading it as it was confusing to start off, but it actually became clear quite quickly and was worth the effort.
I think I couldn't be bothered to read the sequel as I didn't engage with the characters, I would try another book by the author if he can marry the interesting structure and more engagement with the characters.

The 5:2 Diet: Recipe Book
The 5:2 Diet: Recipe Book

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of choices, 23 Mar 2013
Some good information on the 5:2 diet, some possible options on how to carry out the diet and then a nice selection of meal choices. I haven't had much chance to try all the receipts yet but can heartily recommend the Spinach and Pea dahl, one serving is only 159 cals, and it's tasty and for the calories very filling. I also feel it's a healthy meal and cheap to make...The other thing that I can recommend is the simple and quick breakfast suggestions, hardly recipes but a good selection of ideas that should stop you getting bored.
I found it slightly strange to find desert receipts as the original book I read recommended avoiding high sugar dishes or high GI meals as the resulting sugar drop could leave you feeling ravenous. I tend to feel it might be better to leave deserts for non-fasting days, but I guess that's a personal preference thing. There are only 3 and as one of them is cereal bar for days when you are in a rush maybe it's not a huge problem.
On the whole if you are doing the diet and looking for ideas I would recommend this book, I got it on Kindle, it's quite easy to navigate and you can always bookmark your favourite receipes

Fitness Mad Hi-Density Yoga Brick, Purple 220mm x 110mm x 70mm
Fitness Mad Hi-Density Yoga Brick, Purple 220mm x 110mm x 70mm

5.0 out of 5 stars assists the unflexible, 27 Jan 2013
Does it exactly what its supposed to, great if you can't do the full stretches, it helps you to maintain the correct form without straining.

Page: 1 | 2