Profile for Austin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Real Meal Revolution: The Radical, Sustainable Approach to Healthy Eating
The Real Meal Revolution: The Radical, Sustainable Approach to Healthy Eating

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter book for HFLC, 31 May 2016
A good book if you want to eat healthy and lose weigh. It is HFLC (High fat low carb). There's a bit of science and evidence to support the principle (something I've never found to support Low Fat) and then some recipes. It has pictures with each recipe which I always prefer. It's South Africa so measurements (cup sizes) and a few ingredients might be unusual, but I've found it easy to substitute or buy on amazon. Cup sizes measurements can be found in cook shops or equivalents on Google. I've only had it a few weeks so not tried a lot of meals yet, but I've liked the ones I have tried.

Tim Holtz idea-ology Salvage Stickers, Crowded Attic, Multi-colour
Tim Holtz idea-ology Salvage Stickers, Crowded Attic, Multi-colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stickers, 7 April 2016
Beautiful stickers,interesting designs and good quality. The quality is so good it's almost a disadvantage because the stickers are quite thick and not very flexible, however this would only be a problem for very flexible or thin substrates.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a goodjob, 23 Mar. 2016
Great, arrived early, very well packaged. I got it so I could use a dash cam (Nextbase) and a satnav (Garmin) at the same time. It worked fine. (I haven't tried the charging socket's yet.) No problems so far, so I'm happy with my purchase.

I Quit Sugar: Simplicious
I Quit Sugar: Simplicious
by Sarah Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A healthier lifestyle, 7 Mar. 2016
Fab book. The format is a little confusing at first sight but only because there is so much information. It's based on cutting sugar down rather than sugar free, but it's more about real food or 'JERFing' (just eat real food). There's a lot in the book about using all your food, or cutting down waste. There are lots of hints and suggestions in addition to the recipes. It's a way of life that is healthy and cuts back on food waste. You can dip in and out if you don't want to immediately jump straight in.
The only criticism I have is there are some ingredients that are not so easy to get in Britain, although it's getting easier.
All the recipes I have tried so far have been easy and taste nice.

2016 Moleskine Large Weekly Diary 12 Months Soft
2016 Moleskine Large Weekly Diary 12 Months Soft
Offered by HaberCrafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Mar. 2016
Came a day early, well packed. I love moleskin products and this was no disappointment.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalism and order, 25 Jan. 2016
The art of tidying is to only keep things that make you happy or things that are functional. The author breaks it down into 5 categories. I read the whole book through once, then started working through the stages. I'm currently on stage 3, at the end of stage 2 I'd already filled my car with the excess stuff I don't need. The author helps you to let go of your exess baggage in quite a fun way.
There is quite a nod to Japanese culture and what I think is Shinto beliefs, but you can bypass what doesn't work for you in that department.
The author starts with clothing and describes a folding technique, which I've tried and does seem to save space. I went on YouTube to see videos to get a better idea. She suggests that to complete all 5 categories could take up to 6 months but once you've completed all the stages you won't go back to former habits.
I love the book and even though I haven't finished I think my home will be a lovely place.

How to Clean Your House: Clean Your House Better and Faster in Just 30 Minutes (How To Get Organized, Clean Your House, Declutter Your Home, Organizing ... Home Cleaning Tips, Home Solutions Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very small book, 24 Nov. 2015
For a cheap book you can't complain too much. It starts from the premise you are already clean and just need a way to daily keep on top of things. There are a few good tips but not enough. If you are trying to find a routine for cleaning and you aren't already on top of things this is probably not the best book to buy. And frankly if I was already clean, tidy and organised I probably wouldn't be looking for this type of book....

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly
The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly
by Jean-Dominique Bauby

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book, 21 Sept. 2015
The Chronicles of the author Jean-Dominique Bauby. The editor of Elle, a hrdonistic, 'live-life to the full' kinda guy is struck down with a massive stroke, due to the modern medical techniques he survives but with 'Locked in' Syndrome. Communicating by blinking his left eye he dictates this book. This is the fascinating story of his experiences.
I found it moving to hear how he could find the positives in current life while not glossing too much over the tragedy of his condition. It's a testament to his bravery and ironic sense of humour and the help he received from those around him. This is not a dreary, sad book although there are tragic moments - it's fascinating to see the view from his perspective and I hope will help me appreciate my life more and have more sympathy and patience with those who suffer.
It's quite a small book (novella) with short chapters, great read for travelling or just before bead

Basic Training for the Prophetic Ministry
Basic Training for the Prophetic Ministry

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic principles for moving in the prophetic, 9 Sept. 2015
Good basic principles for moving in the prophetic. Clearly put with good illustrations, plenty of exercises to try and exercise your prophetic muscles.

I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook
I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook
by Sarah Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 26 May 2014
I did the 8 week detox using Sarah's book and this is a great follow on. The detox helps you to drastically reduce your sugar consumption. In the detox you do quit sugar for a month but then you rebuild in 2 pieces of fruit and the odd treat so it's not completely sugar free but your aiming for about 10g or less a day
I feel so much better, I eat when I'm hungry now and feel in control of my eating rather than food controlling me. My head feels clearer too. I've lost some weight - gradually which is an added bonus. I didn't have sugar in tea and coffee but I did buy some ready meals and some processed foods - so I was probably consuming a lot more sugar than I realised. I've always struggled with my weight and have come to the conclusion that sugar in food could be a factor.
This book is good because there are some menu plans to give you some ideas for your weekly shop. All the receipes I've tried so far have been very tasty. I mostly cook from scratch now which takes more time but is definately more satisfying and I know what's going in my body too.
I love Sarah's philosophy about not wasting food - she sticks to some basic ingredients which means that once you've stocked up you can make a lot of the meals/ treats. Saves on storage and waste. She's also a big fan of using up what you have and a lot of her suggestions are how to use up bits and pieces. BRILL! I also love the fact that although she gives ways of making things like cream cheese she's not to precious about using bought products when you need to.
The only disadvantage I find is it's taking a while to wrap my head around the ideas - but I'm really excited to try. It's a very way of living to what I'm used to and life-style changes are always time consuming. The whole philosophy behind the book is living a healthier - but enjoyable- lifestyle and without making impossible changes and I'm a big fan.
I live in Britain (England) and so far sourcing the more unusual ingredients isn't impossible, I've found some in the supermarkets, amazon and healthfood shops. When I see a product I need now I tend to buy multiples and make a note of where I got it from. But as a lot of her receipes are based on good meats, veggies and berries a lot of stuff can be found in any grocery store.
Being Australian her ingredients are measured in cups but she gives grams in brackets.
Would recomend this book if you've done the sugar detox or you just want to try some of the receipes
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 9:17 AM GMT