ARRAY(0x9fe6ed5c)

Dvd ~ Peter Outerbridge
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 16.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Also included in TV series 1-3 boxset, 24 May 2011
I saw this version of Murdoch well before the new tv series, and loved Peter Outerbridge as the lead detective. I've come to like the new version too, but these 3 TV movies are much grittier and have a stronger 'period feel' than the TV series. They are a must have for all Murdoch fans and readers of the Maureen Jennings novels. Please note that if you get the Murdoch Mysteries Region 2 box set of season 1-3 these 3 movies are also included, even though the actors etc are not credited on the box and the discs only have pics of Bisson et al.
Like all adaptations, there are differences from the books, but overall these are very enjoyable movies and are a credit to their source material.

The Past is A Foreign Country
The Past is A Foreign Country
by Gianrico Carofiglio

3.0 out of 5 stars Above average crime novel, 18 Mar 2009
This was quite a page-turner and I read it very quickly. Thinking back about it, I don't know if I liked best the writing, or the story and the characters! Carofiglio is definitely a good writer, I loved his references to songs and books, and his spare but poetic style.
The chapters with Chiti were particularly interesting and in a way I kept looking forward to them because I didn't know what was going to happen, whether they'd solve the case or not. While on the other hand the main story with Giorgio and Francesco had a definite course that was obvious from the beginning. The only surprise would be whether Francesco would drag Giorgio down to hell with him all the way or would he get away in the end.
Too bad that the second plot is not as well developed as the first one. I hope that the author writes more books with mysterious Lieutenant Chiti!

Beyond The Great Indoors
Beyond The Great Indoors
by Ingvar Ambjornsen
Price: 8.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving Norwegian novel, 18 Mar 2009
I enjoyed reading this a lot. Lots of lovely moments eg. the tube journey with the kittens, Elling discovering his poetic gifts, etc. It just felt wonderful to read how these two misfits complemented one another so well, and managed to find a place in society - with a little help from Frank, Reidun and Alphonse!
I think that the first-person narrative works very well, you get to read Elling's own thoughts and ideas, and somehow it makes sense! If it had been a third person describing the events it wouldn't be as good a novel, a lot of the poignant moments, those sparks of self-revelation, would have been lost. I loved reading Elling's eccentric ramblings, and even found myself agreeing in some cases, eg. the desire to have a spare room to turn into a library, so that I can say "I'll be in the library if anybody wants me" (p. 107).
I haven't read many other Norwegian novels and I don't know if this is typical Norwegian humour, but I found it very funny! It does remind me a bit of another Scandinavian writer, Arto Paasilinna, his humour is also quite deadpan. I think only a Scandinavian author could have combined poetry and sauerkrauts so successfully!
I also recommend the Norwegian movie version (Oscar nominated as Best Foreign Film) and the play.

Paris Immortal
Paris Immortal
by Sherry Roit

4.0 out of 5 stars Paris immortal: a vampire tale ~ first volume in the series, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Paris Immortal (Paperback)
This is the first novel in the Paris Immortal series. There are currently two more books in the series, "Paris immortal: awakenings", and "Paris immortal: absolutions".

The story starts with Trey, an American lawyer who has recently moved to Paris to work for a legal firm. His clients are a male couple of unparalleled beauty and allure, Michel Lecureaux and his husband Gabriel. Since it says 'a vampire tale' on the cover, there are no prizes for guessing that Michel and Gabriel are in fact vampires. Trey will of course discover it before the end of the novel, but not before getting entangled in their lives and risking his own in the process.
The three principal characters are wonderfully brought to life in an original impressionistic style that will make you read the whole book in one setting, and immediately after go back to the beginning to savour every detail slowly, and check up on facts mentioned before that you did not pay enough attention to.
Roit creates a sensual, decadent, yet romantic atmosphere - this is not strictly a horror novel, and not a romance either, but has quite a bit of both. It also feels very contemporary.
Another plus point is that the books in the series are graced by very fine covers with atmospheric black & white photographs.

I'm always on the lookout for new, original vampire stories, and I'm very glad I picked this. I've started the second book already and can't wait to find out more about these fascinating characters!