Profile for CAMDENJOHN > Reviews

Content by CAMDENJOHN

CAMDENJOHN

Page: 1 | 2
It Is What I Think (Complete Works)
It Is What I Think (Complete Works)
by George Orwell
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A STUNNING ACCOUNT OF ORWELL'S STRUGGLE TO COMPLETE HIS MASTERPIECE., 14 Mar 2013
This wasn't exactly what I'd expected, but it was right up my street! OK - you have to be seriously interested in Orwell or in Britain stiil suffering from 47 to 49 from the after effects of the war, It is a complete review and analysis of all his essays, articles, reviews and correspondence for two of the last 2 years of his life.
Although he was desperately ill much of the time he remained controversial and witty to the last. I reckon it's worth it alone for the lengthy article on his Prep School days. As for 1984, the story of his desperate struggle to complete it is harrowing.
Well, at last I've finished it - and what a tale it tells of his desperation to complete 1984 - his masterpiece - and see it into print. This is volume XIX of the Collected Works, and you sent me XVIII a few days ago. Now I will have to think about XX, but while it will refer to his second marriage to Sonia - still hugely controvesrsial! - I fear that there will be too many useless appendices!

Borgen - Series 1 [DVD]
Borgen - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sidse Babett Knudsen
Offered by 666 Media
Price: 16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars BORGEN PART 1, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Borgen - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
YOU HAVE MY COMMENTS FROM LAST YEAR. WHAT MORE CAN i SAY? I'VE BEEN PUSHING THE BBC TO GIVE THIS AND SERIES 2 PRIME TIME, RATHER THAN SHOW IT ON BBC 4. BUT MY FRIENDS - A BROAD SPECTRUM - TELL ME THAT THE NEED FOR SUBTITLES RULES THIS OUT!
WHAT, DOES OUR AUDIENCE HAVE TO BE SPOON FED? IN ANY CASE THE SUBTITLES ARE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, AND IF YOU HAVE THE DVD - FROM AMAZON, OF COURSE! - THEN ALL WILL BECOME CLEAR.
THE VERY FIRST EPISODE IS VERY SPECIAL! I MUST ADMIT, THOUGH, THAT THE STORY LINE WAS COMPLEX, AND I NEEDED TO WATCH THE BBC REPEATS BEFORE YOUR DVD ARRIVED, ON SCHEDULE AS ALWAYS!
IF YOU LIKE ACTION BORGEN IS NOT FOR YOU, BUT IF YOU CARE ABOUT PUBLIC AFFAIRS - AND VERY PERSONAL MATTERS - THEN THIS IS BEYOND PRAISE!

Stuka Pilot
Stuka Pilot
by Hans Ulrich Rudel
Price: 10.90

1.0 out of 5 stars THE STUKA ACE, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stuka Pilot (Paperback)
YOU ALREADY HAVE MY VIEWS. THIS IS A DISASTER! RUDEL WAS UNIQUE, BUT NOTHING COMES ACROSS IN THIS SAD BOOK. IT IS SO OBVIOUSLY DESIGNED TO EARN CASH FROM HIS REPUTATION, BUT WE LEARN NOTHING ABOUT HIM AS A PERSON - OTHER SOURCES TELL OF HIM AS A NAZI FANATIC - NOR ABOUT HIS TACTICS ON THE EASTERN FRONT OR ABOUT THE STUKA IN ACTION..
VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Junkers Ju87: From Dive - Bomber to Tank Buster 1935 - 45
Junkers Ju87: From Dive - Bomber to Tank Buster 1935 - 45
by Eddie J Creek
Price: 47.50

4.0 out of 5 stars STUKA ACTION, 8 Feb 2013
THIS WAS GREAT STUFF, AS I THINK I'VE POSTED BEFORE? GREAT ACTION SCENES BUT MAYBE TOO LITTLE COMMENTARY ABOUT THE STUKA'S ROLE, PARTICULARLY IN 1940?

Me 262 Bomber and Reconnaissance Units of World War 2 (Osprey Combat Aircraft)
Me 262 Bomber and Reconnaissance Units of World War 2 (Osprey Combat Aircraft)
by Robert Forsyth & Eddie Creek
Price: 11.19

3.0 out of 5 stars ME 262, 8 Feb 2013
MY MISTAKE! I JUMPED INTO THIS WITHOUT REALISING WHAT THIS WOULD BE ABOUT! I'M MORE INTERESTED IN ACTION SIDE OF THE ME 262 RATHER THAN THE TECHNICAL STUFF - WHICH IS REALLY FOR THE EXPERTS.

Borgen - Series 2 [DVD]
Borgen - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sidse Babett Knudsen
Price: 13.75

5.0 out of 5 stars BORGEN PART 2!, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Borgen - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I HAVE YET TO WATCH THE DVD, AS I WATCHED IT ON THE BBC LAST WEEKEND - SUPERB, MAYBE BETTER THAN THE FIRST SERIES!
WHAT I ADMIRE IS YOUR SERVICE! YOUR EMAIL LAST SATURDAY - THE FINAL DAY OF THE BBC BROADCASTS - TOLD ME THAT THE DVD WOULD BE WITH ME ON MONDAY, AND SO IT WAS! EXEMPLARY SERVICE AS ALWAYS!

Wooden Travel Games Set Compendium Draughts , Chess , Backgammon , Cribbage , Dominoes , Playing Cards ,Poker Dice All In One Game set
Offered by Green Toys And Games
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, I'M TOLD!, 8 Feb 2013
I'VE YET TO SEE IT, BUT THIS WAS A PRESENT FOR MY GRANDDAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY, AND SHE TELLS ME IT'S GREAT, WHICH IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

Aidapt Aluminium Rollator Walking Aid
Aidapt Aluminium Rollator Walking Aid
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar
Price: 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ROLLATOR EXCELLENT, 18 Nov 2012
This walking aid is one of many on the market, but in the brief time since I purchased it appears to be ideal, and is great value for money as there are similar aids at twice or treble the price!
Full marks again to Amazon, too, for your superb service!

France: The Dark Years, 1940-1944
France: The Dark Years, 1940-1944
by Julian Jackson
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGISTERIAL!, 28 Jun 2011
I can appreciate some of the uncertain comments about this book. It would be a mistake for anyone who knows little of the background to use this as a base for study of this climactic period. Jackson is a historian's historian! He expects readers to know the basic facts, and hopes that his researches will encourage others to look further - and encourages readers to do so!

I know this period pretty well, and was particularly interested because I have a draft novel set in the Vichy period. Some facts, I thought, and background info, would be great. I only received my copy from you a few days ago - brilliant service, as always - and I've only reached page 60, but already I've learned so much! I cannot see this book being superseded for a generation.

It's hard for us who are not French to understand why the issues which Jackson covers remain so significant - I suppose our own British and Irish parallel would be 1690 and the Battle of the Boyne, 400+ years ago! But then and now the issues in Ireland remain reasonably clear cut, this was never the case in France.

Astonishing to read that in the autumn of 1944 - while there were still German soldiers fighting in France, De Gaulle set up a very high powered Cttee to encourage study of all aspects of the period. That Cttee still meets, and publishes reports - and universities have seminars at which historians and those directly involved (few of them now) can debate the issues.

Yes, it's a big book - but it has a lighter side! He tells of of a University conference not many years ago when two veterans of the resistance almost came to blows over what happened in Toulouse in 1944 - remember they must have been at least in their mid 70s! But they were united when a young female historian called for study of the position of women. "Ah yes," was their dismissive response, "They played their part!"

Following this theme, amazing to know the effect of the Establishment's obsession with France's declining birth rate from the 1870's! A plan in the early 20s to give men with many children - women didn't have the vote! - was narrowly defeated in the Senate, and abortion was outlawed as much because of the wish to push up the birth rate as of Catholic opposition.

For us in the UK and Ireland, France is our nearest neighbour. For anyone to really understand France and the French, this book is essential - but not an easy read for those who don't know the basic historical facts.

I flew for the Fuhrer: Story of a German Airman (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
I flew for the Fuhrer: Story of a German Airman (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
by Heinz Knoke

1.0 out of 5 stars DEEPLY DISAPPOINTING!, 27 Oct 2010
This book was a waste of time and money.
It is a pot-boiler, pure and simple, rushed out shortly after the war ended to capitalise on interest on the story from "the other side". There are clear signs that the author avoided commenting on anything which might be controversial, whether about his personal life or the conduct of the war. Just what did the author and his co-pilots think about the enemy, and the leadership of the Luftwaffe - and how did the pilots' morale change?
At times I wondered if this man really existed. He appears to have had an excellent combat record, which would surely have meant promotion to a very high level given the huge losses the Luftwaffe suffered. But then I realised, and this comes across in the book - sorry to say it, but he was not leadership material.
Yes, there are some good accounts of dog-fights, but there are infinitely better accounts. I personally would heartily recommend Adolf Galland's personal account and David Baker's superb biography.

Page: 1 | 2