Profile for LBJ > Reviews

Content by LBJ

LBJ

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 16 Jun 2013
This was OK but didn't really feel like a Bond film. After all the hype I was a little disappointed. I pre-ordered as I couldn't see at the cinema. Bad guy was a bit like he was copying the Joker from The Dark Knight but poorly. Also disappointed that there was no collow on from Quantum of Solace, I had always assumed they were to be a trilogy about the QUANTUM organisation. I presume the MGM financial implosion had something to do with it? Another disappointment is the retread of an agent gone bad, I mean how many times have we seen this rehashed in the later Bonds? Personally prefer Bourne for those kind of double cross things. Anyway, good quality HD, comes with a iTunes copy, which is great as I hate UV. Average.

Life of Pi (Blu-ray + UV Copy)
Life of Pi (Blu-ray + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Suraj Sharma
Offered by Supertainment
Price: 9.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 16 Jun 2013
I have not read the book (yet) despite owning it for ages, but this is a great film. I just wish they had filmed a representation of the alternate universe at the end to better explain the twist....sorry if that doesn't make sense but I don't want to give a spoiler.

X-Men: First Class - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
X-Men: First Class - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ James McAvoy
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 16 Jun 2013
Excellent film. Good addition to X-Men series (unlike the Origins: Wolverine movie). Also includes an iTune digital copy, this is becoming rarer and to be honest I just hate UV, give me iTunes any day, much simpler.

Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Price: 125.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not perfect, 16 Jun 2013
Had many electric tooth brushes over the years. Mainly Oral B, but the problem with those are the crappy NiMH batteries that let the device down in 6-12 months. So you always need to charge the damn thing. So this time when I needed to get a new brush, I searched high and low for a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery powered device. The Philips seems to be the only one. It says it lasts 2 weeks on a full 24 hour induction charge, that's probably true but you do need a FULL 24 hour non-stop charge regardless of status lights and only brush your teeth on 'clean' setting for 2 mins twice per day. As my wife and I use and tend to go for 2.5 to 3.0 mins we find we need to charge after 5 or 6 days after a full 24 hour charge. The problem is you can never achieve a full 24 hour charge as you need to brush your teeth during that period! So on an overnight charge we get about 3 or 4 days between charges with the charge warning coming about day 3. No idea why it takes so long to induction charge the Li ion battery but it does, shame there is no direct charge option. No signs of battery memory yet (unlike NiMH) so that's good. Very different cleaning sensation from Oral B motion devices, the sonic bit is amazing and disturbing. Teeth have never felt cleaner BUT (and it is a big but) I have needed to floss more (prob a good thing really) with this brush, it seems less able to clean between my teeth. My wife has no such issue.

In short:

Positives - Impressive clean, Lithium Ion Battery, nice package, very apple design

Negatives - Doesn't clean between my teeth well so I need to floss more (not a problem for my wife), brushes expensive, difficult to achieve full charge with use, I would NOT pay the RRP

On balance the best electric brush I have had to date but not perfect as yet. I also note Philips do a flossing brush sold separately. The cynical part of me says the poor in between teeth clean is a ploy to get me to buy that too!

Belkin Snap Secure Case for The 3rd Generation New iPad - Red
Belkin Snap Secure Case for The 3rd Generation New iPad - Red
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Jun 2013
Easy to fit, dust does get stuck around the edges, so be warned. Not easy to remove. Magnetic catch is great. Not had any corner cracks unlike other users. I'm using on an old iPad 2 with smart cover. Works fine. Recommended.

Update 23/6/13

Ordered this product on 24/4/13, just under two months ago, probably had for about 7 weeks given delivery times etc. Noted two small cracks in the upper corners of the case. These are not full thickness yet and must be stress related. The iPad is carried within a protective and padded pouch and I have not dropped it. No kids use the iPad and it rarely travels anywhere out of my lounge. Disappointing but in keeping with other reviews. Case still gripping and doing its job. Unsure if I can return at this stage. Odd behaviour for such a good case. I have an iPad mini version too, used by the kids all the time, that has been dropped and not a scratch on that one. Belkin should have used the same material for this case! Downgraded by a star.

SPIGEN SGP Slim Armor Series Case for iPhone 5 / 5S Metal Slate color (OVER 15000 SOLD)
Offered by Spigen UK Store
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection, 16 Jun 2013
I have never dropped an iOS device and I have had many since 2008 but I'm glad I have got this, I have dropped my 5 three times so far and its just bounced in this case. Great! Also looks like the iPhone 5 (slightly) so not too bulky. Metal is nice touch but does scratch. Also need a screen protector as its not included. Good alternative to my Snugg pouch I had but I got so fed up of sliding the phone in and out that I got this instead.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds [Blu-ray] [1990] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Price: 12.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories not as accurate as reality, 16 Jun 2013
I remember seeing this at broadcast and being floored by the story, tension and end of season cliffhanger of the first part. I also recall the minor disappointment in the second part at the start of season 3. I was a big TNG fan and I love ST8, First Contact, so the opportunity to get on BR in 1080p, cleaned up and merged as a TV movie sounded fantastic. Disc and quality is fine as you'd expect, so that aspect in excellent. So why only three stars? Well, sometimes things seem classic at the time and stand the test of time, whereas others were classic at the time but don't stand the test of time. This falls into the latter. Great nostalgia but you can tell it was filmed in the pre-internet age, when we all had more time and more attention span, it really is like watching a dull 1970s documentary when compared to the newer rebooted Star Trek universe from J.J. Abrams. Fun for nostalgia, a must for any TNG nut but really has dated. I found my self bereft and disappointed by my rose tinted recollections. I was even more disappointed in myself as the short attention span rot of new society has now struck me down too...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 1:26 PM BST

Fosmon Anti-Glare (Matte) Screen Protector Shield for Apple iPad Mini 2 II With Retina Display 2013 / New iPad Mini 1st Gen Tablet (3 PACKS)
Offered by theWireless USA
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK but has a frosted look, 16 Jun 2013
Protects and easy to apply but unlike the iPod versions the bubble issue is more challenging to avoid despite it being a brand new mini. Does the job but the matte screen, although anti-glare, makes the screen slightly frosted. I don't like that but the kids don't mind and its deflected much grunge so far...so job done. Wouldn't use on my own iPad but for the kids its fine.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and easy..., 16 Jun 2013
Easy to install on my old 2010 4G without bubbles, which is impressive considering the mess my kids got all over the original unprotected screen

Apple iPad Mini Case for Ipad Mini with Retina Display / Sleeve by MetricUSA Blue and Turquoise
Offered by Metric Products (Private) Ltd
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, excellent fit, 4 May 2013
Soft and stylish is the best description. Bargain value at the price I paid (and no that's not an excuse to increase the price!). Got this for my daughter's white ipad mini, houses the mini, an official smart cover and a Belkin soft touch snap shield without issue BUT it is not baggy or loose. So great fit for someone who wants the extra cover

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6