Profile for Ms. M. Matthews > Reviews

Minding My Peas and Cucumbers: Quirky Tales of Allotment Life
by Kay Sexton
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a real insight into allotment life, 30 Mar 2011
At last a book about Allotment life from a woman's point of view! I have read a lot of books about "my first year on the plot", "my life at the allotment" etc - most of them good (not all) but they all seem to be by men. And (forgive me for being sexist) but I do think men have a different attitude to gardening and their plot. I could really relate to Kay's experiences in terms of having to prove herself to the "old guard" of men in flat caps! I also share her interest in allotment life (the human as well as plant kind). You don't just get to know Kay, but her neighbours too. Kay manages to intertwine a really engaging narrative with useful information which not only tells you WHAT to do but HOW to do it and WHY (so many books forget the why and if I don't understand I don't remember). Oh and there are some mouth watering recipes too! Its a bit like having a more experienced gardener to gossip with but also who hands over a few hints and tips between the stories - much more interesting than a pure reference book.

Braun Smoothliner Cordless Straightener
Braun Smoothliner Cordless Straightener

4.0 out of 5 stars They do the trick, 7 Aug 2009
I bought these for camping and festivals after seeing terrible reviews for other products. I have fine hair but lots of it and it has a mind of its own. Maybe the product doesnt work if you have thick, wiry hair but it does the trick for me. No, they don't get as hot as my home straighteners, and yes, they do take a bit longer to warm up. So dont buy these for everyday use. But they do work. the only thing i did differntly is that i ran them over the hair more slowly (my corded straighteners work really quickly) - so it did take me a bit longer. And you may want to use smaller chunks of hair. So overall the process will take you longer. But if you are camping you are unlikely to need your hair to be perfect - just tame it down a bit. So for the price i think they are an excellent buy. I also like the interchangeable short handle and the heatproof case which means you can put them in a bag straight after use.