Profile for Kosh the Vorlon > Reviews

Content by Kosh the Vorlon

Kosh the Vorlon "Kosh" (UK)

Philips DVP 520 Multi Region capable DVD Player
Philips DVP 520 Multi Region capable DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 5 Dec. 2004
I was looking for a fairly inexpensive DVD player as a gift for my parents, one of the criteria being that it should be easy to use, the other being that I wanted to get them a multi-region player as my brother often goes to the US. This unit fulfils both my criteria.
It is very good value for money - once setup for "region free" it will play discs from different regions, provided that the TV set is capable of supporting the correct PAL format (note: this is PAL60 and all modern TVs should support this, but if in doubt check first - also note that this applies to the playing of any non-region 2 disk and is not unique to this player but to any multi-region DVD player).
The OSD menus are easy to follow, setup is straightforward (however the instructions for setting to region 0 are not quite correct, use the arrows buttons instead of pressing '0').
Playback is faultless, I've tested a few of the poorer-quality DVDs I have and it played them without problems, and given the price of the unit no complaints about the quality of the video.
The unit does not have a "Tuner-OUT" so you will need to use an AV cable such as a SCART, but this shouldn't be a problem provided your TV has a similar AV connection.
Overall a very good unit and certainly well worth the money. Thoroughly recommended!

White Winds
White Winds
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical masterpiece, 29 Dec. 2000
This review is from: White Winds (Audio CD)
I first heard "White Winds" and the album "Down to the Moon" when I was a student in the 80's. Before then I had never heard of Andreas Vollenweider. A friend lent me a couple of tapes, which he was lucky to have returned to him! I loved the music; it is a wonderful instrumental journey through a mystical land...words really cannot describe how good this music is. Don't let the fact that Andreas plays the harp put you off - this is far from "harp music". If you like ambient style music (and I mean of the "candle's around the bath" style) my recommendation has to be to buy this album - you won't regret it.

Tubular Bells III
Tubular Bells III

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great - what more needs to be said?, 7 Nov. 1999
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
I've been a Mike Oldfield fan since the original Tubular Bells, and he hasn't yet produced anything I haven't liked or that I have found disappointing. Over the years he has produced some remarkable albums, experimented with different techniques and sounds, yet at the same time produced a sound that is almost instantly recognisable as his. I haven't listened to "Guitars" yet (so apologies to those who think it's better than TB3), but I think it's fair to say TB3 is his best yet - and TB2 was a hard act to follow! It has a strong, powerful, flowing thread throughout the album, culminating in a very powerful and almost emotional climax (the sound of the tubular bells made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end). Some criticism has been levelled at Mike for simply calling the album "Tubular Bells 3", but what's in a name? It's the music that is the important part, and listening to this album you can almost feel the creative energy that went into its production. My advice: if you never buy another Mike Oldfield album, buy this one!