ARRAY(0xa69c842c)

Profile for M. Newsome > Reviews

Content by M. Newsome

M. Newsome

Page: 1 | 2
New Trent Power Rock Case with Extended Rechargeable Battery Juice Case 2100mAh for IPHONE 4 4S (IMP210B/NT210B)

4.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps going and going, 18 Aug 2012
I got this case for my son and we both feel it offers really good value. The case contains a very strong battery which extends the life of the iPhone's own internal battery and removes pretty much all worries about battery life through the day.

The case isn't too bulky - has a quite nicely rounded and balanced feel in the hand - it's not too heavy. At the rear of the case are some discrete but easily read blue lights indicating the amount of charge left in the case. When the iPhone is in the case it just reads 100% the vast majority of the time - it became quite comical actually as I kept asking my son what percentage he had and it just stayed solid at 100%! The case is easy to get the phone in and out of and charges from a tidy micro-USB connector at the base of the case. That's far easier to find when you're out and about at friends' houses than an Apple charger - even these days.

My son says he has easily adapted to carrying the phone around in the case all the time. It clearly provides adequate protection to the phone - the front is slightly ridged to prevent scratching the screen if you place it down with its screen to a table or similar. I'm told the case feels similar to a Spex "bumper and back" case but has a slightly more pastic-like feel than other more rubbery cases. It does feel slightly like it might be a little brittle if dropped, so it might be nice to have a bit more confidence in its sturdiness and "bounciness" :-)

The iPhone buttons and switches on the side and top of the device are slightly harder to use when the iPhone is in the case - it might be nice to have some "button extensions" to make these easier to access (at least the power and volume push buttons).

We found we could just use the iPhone's wall socket USB connection plus the USB cable that ships with the case plugged into the case itself to charge both the phone and the case. You just plug it in overnight like a normal charge and it charges both the phone and the case by the morning. Battery life is then really impressive - in our tests we were getting a full day of use before the phone battery started reducing from 100% charge.

We would recommend this case to people going on holiday in particular - it will be great for watching films and playing games on long haul flights. It would also be great for shooting photos and video while out and about without draining your battery during the day. Marvellous!

We'll take it on holiday with us this summer and I'll add some further thoughts to this review on return.

New Trent (1PC) Limir Dual Purpose Stylus/Styli for Capacitive Touch Screen Smartphones and Tablets. 2-in-1: Stylus (Micro-Knit Tip) and Fine Ball Pen
Offered by Naphos
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice pen, let alone stylus :-), 18 Aug 2012
I had a similar stylus to this one prior to getting one of these New Trent version. The last one I had did not have an integrated pen, so I've really appreciated the fact that I can clip this on my trouser pocket and will always have a pen *and* a stylus - exactly what I was looking for. I tended to find with the last (non-New Trent) one that I could kind of hold it in my (zip-close) iPad case, but it would slightly abrade the side of my last iPad (the original one) and would generally be a pain to bring around with me. Now I've switched to an Apple Smart Case there's nowhere to store my old stylus.

With the New Trent stylus/pen combo I'm finding there's ample justification for me to carry the stylus in my pocket all the time - I like to have a pen with me generally. I'm the guy who finds that he's on a plane at take-off, has the newspaper and the crossword, but no pen. With this neat little combo device I'll never be in that situation again.

Physically the stylus is pretty small - but a nice size small. Maybe two thirds the length of a typical biro. By turning the barrel one way you retract a simple ballpoint pen neatly from the handle end of the stylus. Perfectly good in my use so far for writing without excess smudging. The barrel itself is metal with a really strong, tight metal clip to keep it in your shirt pocket, trouser, etc. That's really appreciated as it would easily fall out otherwise.

The stylus itself works as well as my last one - no chance of scratching or any issues like that, it's a simple fabric-feeling ball tip about the size of the end of your finger. In my use so far on iPads and iPhones I've seen no issues at all and it actually takes less pressure to use than my last one.

All in all a big hit. And at 7 shipped, well, you can't go wrong really (unless you step into an Apple Store to try to buy something similar - expect to pay double for a lesser product).

Love it.

August DTA300B Amplified Freeview TV Aerial - Indoor Digital Antenna with Signal Booster for USB TV Tuner / DVB-T Television / DAB Radio
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 27.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, 18 Aug 2012
The boost to the Freeview signal earlier this year (for the Olympics and after the digital switchover) has meant this strong antenna is less of a requirement for us now, but it worked great before and during the switchover. I'd recommend it.

Rockport Men's Charlesview Black Lace Up K71053  10 UK , 44.5 EU , 10.5 US
Rockport Men's Charlesview Black Lace Up K71053 10 UK , 44.5 EU , 10.5 US
Price: 70.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome as ever - so comfortable, 18 Aug 2012
After I bought one pair of Rockport (Northfields), I've stayed with them ever since. The only shoes I've ever worn that fit me in the breadth of my foot and don't give me blisters when I buy a new pair. Swear by them.

Griffin GB01550 Elan Passport Case for iPad - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
Griffin GB01550 Elan Passport Case for iPad - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: 9.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good for the price, 18 Aug 2012
Bought one of these for an iPad 1 (original). Looks the business - far more expensive looking that its actual price - and is nice and protective for the iPad.

Eurolites Headlamp Adaptors for Driving in Europe
Eurolites Headlamp Adaptors for Driving in Europe
Price: 3.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Will do the job, 18 Aug 2012
Haven't had cause to break these open and use them yet as we ended up not driving at night on our short break to the continent. But they look reasonably priced for what they are. Will update this review when I use them

Hi-Tec Men's Legend Ez White Trainer A001368/011/01 9 UK
Hi-Tec Men's Legend Ez White Trainer A001368/011/01 9 UK
Price: 26.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable, 18 Aug 2012
They're cheap, but I found them too uncomfortable for me even though they were the right size. Returned for a refund.

2 x UK Standard 3-PIN Plug Adapter For Apple iPad iPod Touch, Classic, Nano, iPhone 3 4 4S
Offered by Selling-house
Price: 4.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 18 Aug 2012
If you bought an iPad in the US and want a UK plug to replace the US one that came in the box, this is perfect. No issues at all.

Jabra GN 9330E Wireless Office Headset - Black
Jabra GN 9330E Wireless Office Headset - Black
Price: 124.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Noise cancellation didn't work for me., 18 Aug 2012
I bought this because I work from home and wanted a microphone that didn't pick up loud household noises (dogs, children, trucks, etc).
Unfortunately the microphone failed to eliminate these sounds from the other parties I was talking to during a day of testing, so I returned it for a refund.
Nice otherwise though.

AmazonBasics Portable Fold-Up Travel Stand for Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch, iPad, iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 7.0,
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 18 Aug 2012
This is a great little device. Modelled after (or possibly a licensed version of) another branded product I saw online, this Amazon Basics stand is perfect for holding your iPad securely on desks and - my intended purpose - aeroplane tray tables. For the money this is perfect.

The rubberised surfaces for the feet and where the iPad itself sits are nice and secure, non-slip surfaces and hold the device very steady against anything but the most violent bumps or jolts.

For the price, don't even think about this one, buy it.

Page: 1 | 2