Profile for Reader > Reviews

The Dead Eight: A Novel
The Dead Eight: A Novel
by Carlo Gébler

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant novel, 7 May 2013
I can't remember the last time I read a book so quickly. It's absorbing and fascinating and incredibly moving, but not at all sentimental, and the story is told sparely and elegantly. I think that the cover does the book a disservice, though - I think it would be much more representative if it had a period cover in the style of The Suspicions of Mr Whicher or The Missing Postman. This is small thing, though, and shouldn't stop anyone from buying this really wonderful book. Very highly recommended.

On My Own Two Wheels
On My Own Two Wheels
by Malachi O'Doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars A celebration of cycling and life, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: On My Own Two Wheels (Paperback)
This book is the story of how a sixty-year-old man, who has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, gets back on his bike and rediscovers the joy of cycling. Malachi O'Doherty writes really well both about his own personal experiences of weight loss and fitness, but also about cycling more generally, and conveys brilliantly the joy of being back in the saddle at sixty. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone, particularly cycling enthusiasts.

Search Dogs and Me: One Man and His Life-saving Dogs
Search Dogs and Me: One Man and His Life-saving Dogs
by Neil Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 18 Sep 2011
This is one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. It's moving, heartwarming and a celebration of the relationship between dogs and people. Neil Powell is a natural storyteller - he writes with warmth and humour and great modesty, given the scope of his achievements over the years - and his dogs are at the very heart of the story. You feel as though you know each of his dogs: their great rescue achievements, but also their foibles and quirks. I can't recommend it more highly.

The Kitchen Revolution: A Year of Time-and-money-saving Recipes
The Kitchen Revolution: A Year of Time-and-money-saving Recipes
by Rosie Sykes

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookery book that I have bought for years, 27 Jan 2009
I love this book. We have now done almost four weeks of recipes and have been pretty much consistently delighted with them - the ideas are innovative, balanced and good value. The book is expensive, especially given that there aren't any pictures, but the number of recipes and the quality of the book makes the price entirely justified. I think that we're spending a little more on food than usual, but it's definitely worth it, and we're hardly throwing anything away.

If you're keen to try new recipes, and a whole new way of shopping and cooking, this is definitely the book for you.