Profile for S. Campbell > Reviews

Content by S. Campbell

S. Campbell (Dublin, Ireland)

Flowers of War [Blu-ray]
Flowers of War [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by specialinterests
Price: 6.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film - terrible transfer, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Flowers of War [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Beware anyone buying this Blu-ray. It has been transferred in the wrong aspect ratio. It was originally filmed at 2.39:1, but the Blu-ray has been transferred at 1.78:1 open matte!!!! Why I don't know, but it look dreadful, with massive open spaces at the top and bottom of the frame. Just to make people aware.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 3:21 AM BST

Guns n' Roses Encyclopaedia, The
Guns n' Roses Encyclopaedia, The
by Mick O'Shea
Price: 11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustive, 14 Jan 2009
Superbly written book, which covers a huge amount of topics. 5/5. All true GNR fans should own it.

Chinese Democracy
Chinese Democracy
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome, 3 Dec 2008
This review is from: Chinese Democracy (Audio CD)
As a fan of GNR from back in the day, I was pretty skeptical about this epic. When the six or so tracks were leaked a couple of months back, I was still a little skeptical. They sounded okay, but were clearly unfinished. I got the album yesterday, and have just finished listening to it. Wow. It's quite literally the best album I've bought in years (and I buy a lot of music). Superb stuff, truly superb. How many albums do you know that feature 5 (that's 5) stand out tracks: Better, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, This I Love and Prostitute. The last three songs on the album are Madagascar, This I Love and Prostitute, building to an amazing emotional crescendo. Clearly, a lot of the material is about Stephanie Seymour. In This I Love (probably the gentlest song Axl has ever done), he sings "If she's somewhere near me, I hope to God she hears me, No one else could ever make me feel so alive". There's just so much on the album worth praising that it's difficult to sit down and write a review having only just listened to it (hence the disjointed nature of this piece). The basic facts are these however:

1. There's no other album like this around at the moment, it offers a unique sound.

2. Axl sounds amazing.

3. The production values are extraordinary. On a really good speaker system, where you can differentiate different sounds, you can really see why it took so long to put together as the music moves around from speaker to speaker. Amazing aural experience

4. Is it a GNR album? That's open to debate, some say yes, some say no. Me, I'm not really pushed, I was always a bigger fan of Axl than the band so it doesn't bother me one way or the other. But one thing is for certain, this album contains some amazing music. And that's all that really counts in the end.

Epic stuff. Believe the hype.