Profile for Louis Vallance > Reviews

Content by Louis Vallance

Louis Vallance "fs geek" (Sheffield, SY UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
SAMAR® - Supreme Quality New Samsung Galaxy S5 Crystal Clear Screen Protectors (Released 2014) 6 in Pack - Includes Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Case Specialist

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of issues, but does the job!, 20 Jun 2014
Tempered glass screen protectors are probably the best way to protect your screen from scratches. Ordinary protectors tend to be softer than the glass underneath meaning they get scratched and have to be replaced every couple of months. For the price these glass protectors seem to be good value.

PROS:

Good value. Easy to apply and is a very good fit. After two weeks there isn't the slightest sign of aberration.

CONS:

These protectors attract fingerprints. Despite being advertised as oleophobic (repellent towards finger oils), smudges and prints appear almost instantly and make the screen look filthy. It's an aesthetic issue and doesn't affect the protective qualities of the glass.

There is a sign of frosting on the upper-right corner of the protector (off-screen) where the adhesive appears to be de-bonding. There is also an area covering about 1/8 of the screen where there is a permanent shadow-like smudge underneath the protector. This could have been due to misapplication; however, the surface feels rougher than the rest of the panel which leads me to believe it's due to a manufacturing defect.

SAMAR must get someone fluent in English to proof-read the writing on their packaging. I'm no pedant but it's so bad I wonder how they didn't notice. This minor point of contention did not affect my overall rating of the product!

I would recommend this protector to anyone on a budget who is aware of the above shortcomings and isn't bothered by smudges and potential, minor de-bonding on the edges.

Ultraísta
Ultraísta
Offered by MasterDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful Electronic, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ultraísta (Audio CD)
I was directed to this album by my brother, a fellow Radio Head like myself. Though subtle, Godrich's crossover is clearly noticeable.

The complex, fast and addictive rhythms beat alongside colourful melody and delicate vocals. Synth is at the core of the record and washes over tracks such as Bad Insect, Our Song and Smalltalk, with a finesse that would make Boards of Canada proud.

Though I haven't yet paid close attention to the lyrical content, the central theme seems to be romance.

Stop with the smalltalk/
Don't wanna feed the nightmare/
Sharp memory talks/
I hear around the room/
Don't wanna hear no more/
Hear no more from you/

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound if slightly quiet!, 3 July 2013
These headphones are very good. I'm no audiophile but to me, the sound quality is excellent. Coming up from the ear buds which came with my Samsung S3, the HD449s are a huge step-up in quality. However, they're also a huge step in price, so are they worth investing in?

As mentioned, these will sound fantastic to anyone who isn't a connoisseur of the highest-end equipment. As they say: the trebles are treb-ly and the basses are bass-ey. The closed cup design will probably have an adverse affect on the acoustics, but for many of us who enjoy listening to music in public places, a closed back design is a must if you don't want to annoy people around you.

The build quality is just OK. The HD449 is an all-plastic design, and the plastic its self is nothing special. This is fine, although for £70 one worries about the consequences of dropping these headphones on the floor! The ear cups have that jelly in them which makes endurance listening easy and comfortable.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the technical side, but it's worth noting the input impedance of 32 Ohms. For those who don't know, 32 Ohms is on the higher side of very low impedance headphones. This means that the HD449s should come though nice and loud on posh hi-fi amps which have enough power to keep you warm in winter. However, if you plan to use these on battery-powered devices such as phones or MP3s you may find that the HD449s come through a little weak. Turning the volume to maximum on my S3 and these are slightly quieter than the original Samsung ear buds, with a very small amount of distortion over the top. This isn't a deal breaker- they are still superior to the buds, although this is probably my main reason for knocking a star off since Sennheiser's advertising for these is aimed at people with MP3 players!

If you've already set aside the £70, you will be very happy with these headphones.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design, but what lies beneath?, 6 Nov 2012
Pros:

- Great look and feel
- Lightweight
- Excellent battery life
- Power switch which activates the mouse the instant you turn it on
- Works on a range of surfaces

Cons:

- No scroll wheel feedback means your finger feels like it's slipping over the wheel as if it's become jammed (you'll love it
or hate it- I hate it)
- Scroll wheel clicks with all the finesse of a Fisher Price toy (feels cheap)
- Clicking the scroll wheel to open/close new tabs on a web browser is completely hit-and-miss (I have no idea why, but for
some reason it just doesn't always work)

So as you can see, all of my complaints are with the scroll wheel! I care greatly about quality tactile feedback, and the scroll wheel doesn't have any. Everything else about the mouse is spot on, though.

Duronic 20m Professional Gold Headed Network Cable - Black - High Speed Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfecetly, 3 April 2011
I bought this cable as an extension so I could use my laptop in the living room of my flat as we are prohibited from routing our connection. I plumped for 20 metres as it was only a pound extra and I wanted the cable to remain slack in case of sudden movement.

The built quality of the cable is very good, with durable connector clips, high quality gold-plated contacts and strain-resistant grips at both ends.

Not much else to say about the product - just a good quality CAT5 cable.

The King of Limbs
The King of Limbs

4.0 out of 5 stars More great Radiohead, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
It's been all of three years and three months since the release of In Rainbows, and never had I been so eager to find out which direction Radiohead would take for their eighth studio album. I was half hoping we'd hear something akin to the B-sides from In Rainbows, but instead the band have taken a much more significant step to the time of Kid A and Amnesiac, both of which have been strongly compared to The King of Limbs. This surprised me greatly as that was a very dark time for the band and I had always doubted they would want to re-visit that part of their creative careers ever again.

As with most of Radiohead's work, there is the infamous `breaking in' period before the album completely opens its self to the listener. The King of Limbs proved to be no exception to this rule.

The first track, titled Bloom, continues the journey one more time through the dreamy world of Kid A, with echoes of trumpets from The National Anthem, and the melodramatic piano pieces from Amnesiac. It's as if we never heard anything between then and now, and albums six and seven served merely as a brief interlude before Radiohead continued along the theme of experimental electronica. The eerie brass notes of Bloom remind me of `A Golden Ratio Sings' by Bluetech which I found quite interesting.

My favourite track of the album so far has to be Codex. The King of Limbs is supposed to be about an ancient tree in Oxford, but the only reference I could get out of this song was that the word codex, meaning manuscript, is Latin for tree bark. However, the lyrics prove yet more difficult to interpret, and may just be my favourite lyrics of the album:

...Slide your hand/Jump off the end/The water's clear and innocent/

This isn't my favourite Radiohead album. I don't feel it has the oomph the other album's had. The King of Limbs is, though, a very good album when placed next to their other work, and an excellent album when placed next to a lot of Radiohead's contemporaries' music.

...If you try the best you can, the best you can is good enough/

If you're a Radiohead fan it goes without saying you should buy this album. If you're not a fan, I'd still recommend you buy it...

Guinness Pint Glasses CE 20oz / 568ml (Pack of 4)
Guinness Pint Glasses CE 20oz / 568ml (Pack of 4)
Offered by Noble Express Catering Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Super duper!, 1 Jun 2010
This is my favourite glass for drinking beer out of... Especially Guinness!

The new design isn't too much of a change from the original design, but they're supposed to be easier to hold and they improve head retention.

Well worth the money.

Family Guy - Something Something Something Dark Side [DVD]
Family Guy - Something Something Something Dark Side [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Something something something isn't right..., 15 Mar 2010
Family Guy Presents Blue Harvest [DVD] [2007] was a brilliantly funny parody of Star Wars IV: A New Hope [DVD] [1977] [Region 1] [NTSC] and had me laughing practically all the way through. Needless to say I was excited to hear about McFarlane's next release, Something Something Something Darkside.

Honestly, the opening credits were the funniest part for me, and the rest was merely season 7 recycled; same gags, same old. The volume of unoriginal content really dampened the laughs from start to finish, leaving me rather disappointed. Moreover, the cut-aways are almost entirely exclusive to American audiences, and make little sense over here in the UK, making me suspect that they're merely compensation for a lack of primary plot material. The crown jewel in the humour department for Blue Harvest had to be the subtle mockery of the original storyline components of A New Hope, and they tried it again this time around, only it wasn't as funny.

Plot-wise, Dark Side is fun to follow and made for an enjoyable watch, but I don't think they quite hit the mark in terms of sharp, fast, consistent humour as they did so gloriously in their last offering. As a Family Guy fan I do recommend this DVD as it is good at the core, but don't raise your hopes too high on this one.

Plastic Beach
Plastic Beach
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumphant mixture of style, emotion and vibrancy., 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: Plastic Beach (Audio CD)
This latest offering from Gorillaz is a vast embodiment of the eclectic methods employed by Albarn and Hewlett. Plastic Beach offers a synergy of uplifting orchestral drifts with melancholy pop, and with this slightly new direction I felt myself being taken on an interesting musical journey.

After commenting on plastic and its relationship with nature, Gorillaz hinted on how they wanted to translate this theme into the music: "It's a casino on a plastic beach/It's a Styrofoam deep sea landfill-" is a testament to Albarn's description of the juxtaposition between the noxious environment of landfill, and the opportunity it presents for renewal of wealth, both material and spiritual. This theme is repeated throughout the album; from Some Kind of Nature: "Some kind of metal/Some kind of glue/Some kind of plastic/I could wrap around you-".

On some level, Plastic Beach is difficult to get to grips with due to its bubbly nature and at times X Factor-style melodies, but the injection of sophistication and incongruity results in a very pleasing sound indeed. Plastic Beach offers performances from the likes of Snoop Dogg, Mos Def and Lou Reed, which makes the album overall more diverse than `Gorillaz' and `Demon Days'. Empire Ants is a good example of how Gorillaz' style has really progressed, and serves as an interlude from the up-beat offerings of Rhinestone Eyes and Superfast Jellyfish. My favourite track so far is Bobby Womack's contribution to Cloud of Unknowing, with the beautiful parity of soul blues and instrumental overtones. "-On the cloud of unknowing/Every satellite up here is watching/Waiting to see what the morning brings/May bring sunshine on its wings-".

Despite having only listened to Plastic Beach a few times, my opinions so far are very positive, and I expect this album to grow on me furthermore over time. Of all the musical genres employed by Plastic Beach, I am most comfortable with alternative rock; however I have been pleasantly surprised by the trip hop/electropop elements as well. Needless to say, I would recommend this record to any existing Gorillaz fan, but also to those more unfamiliar listeners who enjoy the combination of hip hop and rock (hip rock?).

Friends - Season 1-10 Complete Collection (15th Anniversary) [DVD] [2004]
Friends - Season 1-10 Complete Collection (15th Anniversary) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Aniston
Offered by A2ZSupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Third time lucky., 11 Mar 2010
The Friends season 1-10 box set, or `The White Box', is the latest complete DVD collection on offer from Warner Brothers. It marks a huge improvement over the original `Black Box', boasting quite a bit more than its predecessor.

The main problem we had with the first and second editions of the season 1-10 box were the double-sided disks. Finally, these have been replaced with single-sided ones, making everything so much easier. Included in the box which was previously unseen is the episode guide which takes you through each season, providing brief synopses along the way. Another great addition is the special feature on the making of Friends S06E01. For anyone who has always thought about what goes on backstage, this is a fantastic watch and takes you from the writers' room all the way through filming and post production. Warner Brothers also added season 5 bloopers, which had me giggling the whole time.

If you already own the black or the red box, it is questionable as to whether it is worth the upgrade. If you are a diehard fan and really crave the full package, then this is a good buy considering the price (the black box was originally sold at £200). All in all a great DVD set, much recommended!

fsgeek
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2010 12:49 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10