Profile for M. R. Bargrove > Reviews

Content by M. R. Bargrove

M. R. Bargrove "Mark B" (UK)

Escape From The Shadow Garden
Escape From The Shadow Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, but where's my LP?, 30 Mar. 2014
I can only echo the other positive reviews here when it comes to the music. This is classic Magnum, and if you like all the greats (e.g. On a Storyteller's Night) you probably won't be disappointed with Shadow Garden.
However, where's my LP? I pre-ordered this on vinyl way back on 7th March. Supposedly to be sent by Amazon (i.e. not a marketplace supplier) for the princely sum of 16.99. Didn't turn up! Apparently, out of stock. I very much doubt it was ever "in-stock" at Amazon, as the current listing is for a marketplace supplier at 29.99! Bit of misrepresentation, in my opinion, but I have the auto-rip at any rate (for which they charged me once I'd cancelled the LP, due to Amazon's inability to deliver on the pre-order, and which I had downloaded as soon as it became available to me). Such is life, but I doubt I will pre-order from Amazon again.
OK, so much of this review hasn't concerned the music (which I reiterate is great). Apologies for that, but it still gets five stars from me.

Rumours [35th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition, 4CD+DVD+ VINYL LP]
Rumours [35th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition, 4CD+DVD+ VINYL LP]
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, great package (4CD + DVD + Vinyl), small problem, 1 Feb. 2013
Got the super deluxe version today. However, it has 2 copies of the "More from the recording sessions" CD and no DVD. Anyone else got this problem?

I gave it 5 starts because the music is great and the packaging is lovely. But I would like to watch the DVD....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 12:02 AM GMT

Ghost Stories from the BBC: The Signalman / Stigma / The Ice House (DVD)
Ghost Stories from the BBC: The Signalman / Stigma / The Ice House (DVD)
Dvd ~ Denholm Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars One complete classic and two oddities, 20 Sept. 2012
As has been mentioned in an earlier review, this DVD is worth the price for The Signalman alone. Speaking as a massive M R James fan, I still think The Signalman is the most accomplished, most frightening and best produced of all the Ghost Stories For Christmas. The performances are truly spellbinding, Denholm Elliott is incredible as the signalman. Watching this, he must be the most underrated actor of his generation. If you like ghost stories, you really do need to see The Signalman.
Stigma is OK, not on a par with the others in the series, but as the standard is generally so high, that's not necessarily damning with faint praise. Worth watching.
The Ice house is downright weird. I've only seen it once so far, I think it may need three or four goes to get to the bottom of it. I guess you could say it is "interesting", the peculiar dialogue made me think it was supposed to be set in a 1970s-style future, where people all speak very properly, with no contractions or apostrophes, but it would appear that's not the case. Something to get your head around, albeit not as satisfying as the other two.
Anyway, buy this for The Signalman, if nothing else, and do yourself a massive favour.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 6:05 PM GMT

Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole

5.0 out of 5 stars Best film ever made, very good transfer to Blu ray, 20 Sept. 2012
This is the best film ever made, so there's no point in arguing the fact. Excellent performances, direction, cinematography, soundtrack and last but not least, story. They all come together in this one epic masterpiece.
The Blu-ray transfer is truly marvellous, I wish I had something bigger than my 32" TV to watch it on.
For some reason, Sony have seen fit to put the film on disc 2 and the extras on disc 1. Those crazy Japanese, eh? ;-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 4:03 AM GMT

MIRROR LCD Screen Scratch Protector, shield guard for Samsung F480 Tocco
MIRROR LCD Screen Scratch Protector, shield guard for Samsung F480 Tocco

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit bubbly, 28 Feb. 2010
It's OK, not my thing, really, but my son likes it and it's for his phone. Fairly sturdy, but had a couple of bubbles that wouldn't come out.
You can see your face in it, which may or may not be a good thing.

8GB KINGMAX MICRO SDHC HIGH SPEED CLASS 10 RETAIL PACK
8GB KINGMAX MICRO SDHC HIGH SPEED CLASS 10 RETAIL PACK
Offered by emartbuyuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Stores stuf., 28 Feb. 2010
It's got 8Gb, you can store data on it, and it works. Not much more you can say about an 8Gb memory card, really.
Oh, and it has an SD adaptor. Which also works.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2010 7:51 PM BST