Profile for K. Briscoe > Reviews

Content by K. Briscoe

K. Briscoe "Book-crazed mother" (California USA)

That Rabbit Belongs To Emily Brown
That Rabbit Belongs To Emily Brown
by Cressida Cowell

5.0 out of 5 stars The CD read by Tamsin Greig is brilliant too, 14 Jun. 2013
Lots of happy repeat reads for this family. And the bunny is EXACTLY like my daughter's. Tamsin Greig's audio version makes it even better.

Ratburger
Ratburger
by David Walliams

4.0 out of 5 stars Good David Walliams fun with heart, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Ratburger (Hardcover)
Grisly in parts!! (Fargo for kids). But my daughters 9 and 8 could handle it and had no bad dreams. I had fun doing the accents and Zoe is a heroine with pluck you just are rooting for the whole way through. Some good characterization - some of the baddies get their just desserts, some get a second chance. I like that realism. We always cheer in our family when the character Raj makes his first appearance in every Walliams book. DW will have to eventually write a book with Raj as the protagonist.

Stig of the Dump (Puffin Books)
Stig of the Dump (Puffin Books)
by Clive King

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect children's book, 14 Jun. 2013
Perfect children's book for both girls and boys. All children I have read this too are just transported by this idea of meeting a caveman and developing a friendship with him. Love that grandma and the older sister don't tae any notice of this for most of the book. The climax of the book is truly one of the best of any book I have ever read (I'm 42). it just takes my breath away every time.

Leon and the Place Between
Leon and the Place Between
by Graham Baker-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Very special., 27 Feb. 2011
Beautiful, magical illustrations. Beautiful, magical words. This book took my breath away the first time I read it to my children (5 and 7) and still does every time. They have done an amazing job of creating the sense of wonder that Leon himself feels when he goes into the tent at the fair and the magic show transports him, literally and figuratively. Stunning. My daughters loved it too but I could read it happily by myself it's that good.

Engleby
Engleby
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggeringly good., 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Engleby (Paperback)
I agree with the one other reviewer who said this has gone straight into her top 10 books of all time. I have been away from Faulks for a long time due to repeated disappointment. I only picked this up because I saw it on my dad's bookshelf when I had nothing else to read. What a happy accident. I was totally drawn in by this surprisingly sympathetic character. The writing is staggeringly good. I guess that's how Faulks makes him so sympathetic, even though the whole book is about his inability to form real relationships with the other people in his life. So good, I think I might read it again very soon (which I rarely do).