Profile for aparthur > Reviews

The Kon-Tiki Expedition
The Kon-Tiki Expedition
by F.H. Lyon

5.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Text of Adventure and Determination, 24 April 2004
This is one of those books I'd always wanted to read, but could not getfrom the book shop or the library.
My excuse to read it finally came inthe final year of my degree, when I decided to write my thesis on the linkbetween technology and exploration. This book was one I thought might helpme.
I finally found a copy on Amazon, and what I got didn't dissapoint me.
It starts off, with Heyerdahl in Polynesia before the war, on a beachwhere an old man tells him of the Legend of who the Pacific Islanders camefrom the East.
Heyerdahl abandons his study of Naturalism and leads himto pursue anthropology. He then forms a hypothesis that the PacificIslanders are descended from the peoples of South America, and migrated toPolynesia on Balsa Rafts.
After the War, Heyerdahl though a respected Anthropologist, sees histheory rejected as absurd and impossible.
Despite this, he sets out to conclusively prove his theory to be right,using the best method possible. By actually undertaking the voyage.
Hetakes you through the voyage, from the background to it, to the prep work,to the actual high seas.
The text rich and descriptive. It is one of those books that once youstart reading it, you are hooked. Its so well written, you almost feel asthough as you are on the expedition.
You see how what starts off a seemingly obscure hypthesis, is proved to bea perfectly valid, and that the opinion of so called the "experts" is notalways to be taken as the final word.
If you only ever read a handfulbooks in your life. make sure this is one of them.
It has the all the ingredients of great story -drama, action, emotion,science, hardship, triumph. Though, there is no fiction here. Every eventreally happened.
Since buying this book, (about 20 months ago) I have read it at least fivetimes so far, and each time has been as great and facinating as the firsttime. I expect my copy has as many years of reading left in it as I have.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2012 9:13 PM GMT

Heartbreaker
Heartbreaker
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that will stand the test of time., 12 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
I bought this album, after purchasing "Gold". I certainly wasn't disapointed with what I got.
In a period of time, where these days, the charts seem to be dominated with cheap talentless manufactured acts, releasing covers, Ryan Adams has been a breath of fresh air:- an artist who wites his own songs, and is actually brilliant at it.
The album kicks off with the speech, "Argument with David Rawlings concerning Morrissey" This is Adams showing his humorous side.
The music then kicks off, with "To Be Young (Is To Be Sad Is To be High)" Think Dylan "Subterrainian Homesick Blues" think upbeat acoustic sound, well this song will have you singing along in the car. An absolute masterpiece.
"My Winding Wheel", a great piece of poetry set to a pleasant acoustic tune.
"Amy" is Adams ode to former girlfriend. Its almost Beatlesque. Mainly just Adams on acoustic guitar, this song is a glowing tribute to simplicity.
"Oh My Sweet Carolina" in my opinion, is the real gem of gems in this album. Theres a lot of feeling and mood straight from the heart with this song. The lyrics will just blow you away. The story of leaving a home, thinking the grass is greener on the otherside, and realising how home is really where the heart is, is a situation we've all found ourselves in sometime or another.
This song is a fine example of the song writing talent of Adams. The addition of Emmylou Harris singing as duet, enhances what is already a masterpiece.
"Bartering Lines", think Neil Young, think well thought out lyrics, think strong simple yet effective tune, think just man and acoustic guitar, and well your almost there.
"Call Me On Your Way Back Home" is another one of those little gems. Its a classic tribute to a lover. Its one of those songs that says to a woman, I need you, I love you.
"Damn Sam I Love a Woman When it Rains", Blues and Poetry.
"Come Pick Me Up" This is another real gem. A real moody emotional song, its one of those songs that says, "If I've messed up sorry", or "Whatever you've done to me, I still love you, lets give it another try". The harmonica, and strong tune and lyrics, will have you singing along.
"To Be The One", Think one man and his guitar, and saying what he's thinking about his girl.
"Why Do They Leave?" This is the tale of a broken love affair, and all the questions that go with it. "What went wrong?" "We were so good together"
"Shakedown on 9th Street" a Ballad to a crazy night, rivalry for a girl. A crazy energetic tune, it makes you want to get up and jump around.
"Dont Ask for The Water" man and his guitar with poetry...
"In My Time Of Need" Words which come straight from the heart. Its a song that says "I am happy, I love you, whatever happens we've got each other, I dont need nothing as long as I've got you" Its a very crafted piece of songwriting, which will send a shiver of approval down your spine, and overwhelm you.
"Sweet Lil Gal" a man puts his thoughts to piano.
The test of real songwriting, is if people are still listening to the music, in 30 or 40 years time. I definitely think this is one album, which will be just that.
This album proves you don't need a shed load of computers and electric instruments, to produce music, just a man and his guitar and his emotion.
I can more than recommend this album and anything else by Ryan Adams, or Whiskeytown.