Profile for John H. S. Rennie > Reviews

Content by John H. S. Rennie

John H. S. Rennie (Chester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
MOZART TALER, COINS 14 pieces, Mozarttaler 280 grams, Mirabell Salzburg
MOZART TALER, COINS 14 pieces, Mozarttaler 280 grams, Mirabell Salzburg
Offered by Monarchy Catering

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Mozartkugeln you'll love these, 22 Dec. 2015
The Mozart Taler are basically Mozartkugeln that have been squashed flat, so if you like Mozartkugeln you'll like the Mozart Taler. Personally I love both! There is endless discussion about who makes the very best Mozartkugeln/Taler, but even those who prefer other brands would have to concede that the Mirabell ones are very good.

R:Evolution
R:Evolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Another really good album, 9 Nov. 2015
This review is from: R:Evolution (Audio CD)
This is a really good album. I've been following the spacerock scene for decades, and right now Hawklords stand head and shoulders above everyone else. They manage to capture the spirit of the 70s PXR5 and Hawklords albums without slavishly following them.

If I'm allowed a slight quibble (and it is only a slight quibble) I thought the preceding album, Censored, was even better as it felt a bit more varied and a bit more open to me. The production on this album seems a little more monotone and less dynamic. We'll see what 2016 brings!

Joe Golem and the Drowning City (Illustrated Novel)
Joe Golem and the Drowning City (Illustrated Novel)
by Christopher Golden

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but rather derivative and predictable, 17 Oct. 2015
I've just read Joe Golem and the Drowning City by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden. Let me make it clear at the outset that this is a rubbish book, but nevertheless you might want to read it. This is why:

Mike Mignola's Hellboy comics are really good, and if you haven't read them you should. But what makes them good is the artwork. Mignola beautifully captures the character of Hellboy. But if you chose any of the stories and attempted to write it as a novel it would be pretty banal.

And this is the problem with Joe Golem and the Drowning City - it reads like an attempt to reproduce a Hellboy (Joe Golem is basically Hellboy) story as a novel. Actually it does this pretty well. While reading the novel I could picture in my mind what it would look like as a Hellboy comic - obviously Mignola's illustrations help with this. And this is why I suggest you might want to read the novel. As an attempt to imitate a comic strip it works pretty well (though possibly it wouldn't work as well if you hadn't read the Hellboy comics) and that makes it quite an interesting experiment.

But the problem remains that it's a basic, predictable and really rather banal story, and as a novel it's a very poor one. As a (very) young adult novel it might work, but to any experienced SF reader it will fell derivative and predictable. The only good point is that it's so simple it's a quick and effortless read. I read it at a single sitting in a bit under three hours.

All this sounds a bit mean, and you might be wondering why I ended up giving the book four stars. Well even given my criticisms above I did enjoy it and I suspect most people will find it an entertaining read, and that's why I gave it four stars. But I'm not sure I would spend my hard earned cash on it (I got my copy from the library). I understand that Mignola and Golden are planning to write a comic book series with Joe Golem, and I think that could be excellent and I'm looking forward to it.

Malloom® for Samsung Galaxy S6 G9200, Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad
Malloom® for Samsung Galaxy S6 G9200, Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad
Offered by Malloom®

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5, 14 Aug. 2015
The charger works perfectly with my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5. In fact it will charge my Nexus 5 through quite a thick leather case. At the price it's a terrific bargain. When not charging it draws 0.2W, which is about 1.7kW hours per year or about 25p per year at current prices, so I just leave it permanently plugged in. If I have a criticism it's that the LEDs are rather bright so if you do leave it permanently on you need to position it where the LEDs won't annoy you.

My Real Children
My Real Children
by Jo Walton

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, but not for everyone, 2 July 2015
This review is from: My Real Children (Paperback)
I found the book a compelling read. It's well written, the characters are believable and you quickly get sucked in and empathise with them.

My only concern is that I'm around the same age as Jo Walton, and I'm not sure how much this book would appeal to a younger generation. Both this and Walton's previous book, Among Others, have a slightly nostalgic air about them. I loved them, and my mother (who is 82) loved them, but my niece (who is 13) was profoundly uninterested. The book is about how people deal with life's rich tapestry, and I think people who have a lot of said tapestry to look back through will enjoy it more than those who are just starting out.

Design Go Luggage Straps - Twin Pack (Colors may vary - Purple, Yellow, Blue, Black)
Offered by General Stores Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good luggage straps, 18 May 2015
There's not much to say about luggage straps. They work fine.

HP CH561EE 301  Ink Cartridge - Black
HP CH561EE 301 Ink Cartridge - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good ink cartridge, 18 May 2015
What is there to say about an ink cartridge? It contains ink and works fine in my Deskjet 2540.

Struwwelpeter
Struwwelpeter
by Heinrich Hoffmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy tales in the Grimm tradition, 18 May 2015
This review is from: Struwwelpeter (Hardcover)
Traditional fairy tales tend to be a bit grisly, and these stories fit right into that tradition. I suppose sensitive children might find them too scary, though my vague recollections from when I read them was of being deliciously frightened.

Kingston Technology DataTraveler G4 USB 3.1 Gen 1/USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 8 GB
Kingston Technology DataTraveler G4 USB 3.1 Gen 1/USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 8 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good USB drive, 18 May 2015
There's not much to say about a USB flash drive. For the price this is a perfectly good drive.

Toshiba THNU08HAYWHT(6 8GB TransMemory USB 2.0 Flash Drive - White
Toshiba THNU08HAYWHT(6 8GB TransMemory USB 2.0 Flash Drive - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good USB2 flash drive, 18 May 2015
There isn't that much to say about USB2 flash drives. This one works just fine and at £2.99 it's a bargain.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5