Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer

Page: 1 | 2
1byone OUKQH-0228 Premium Portable Waterproof Wireless Doorbell Door Chime Kit - White
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish - does not ring every time., 11 Nov. 2014
Rubbish. Often the chimes do not ring when the button on either bell push unit it pressed. The light on the press button unit comes on, but the ringer is not ringing. People at the door would not know that the bell was not ringing inside.

Sent it back for refund.

The Contender [DVD]
The Contender [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeff Bridges
Offered by figswigs

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this film, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Contender [DVD] (DVD)
Interesting plot with many twists and an unexpected outcome. The final denouement surprised me.
I thought Bridges was convincing and Oldman completely credible.

If you enjoy the West Wing, I'm sure that you would enjoy this.

Hearts And Minds
Hearts And Minds
by Amanda Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars So many inaccuracies, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Hearts And Minds (Paperback)
i was really disappointed with this - couldn't understand why it was on the Booker shortlist.

The depictions of education, the NHS and Zimbabwe are all painfully inaccurate - based on prejudice and not on research or experience. I don't know much about prostitution, minicabs or journalism, but why should I believe the accounts in this book?

Nice characters though, and they were credible. The different pressures they experience and the ways they deal with them kept me going to the end. They way in which the stories were made to interconnect felt rather contrived, but the conclusion seemed to leave a few questions unanswered. Did Anna end up working for Polly? Did the murderer get caught?

Duronic USB External Slim CD-ROM Drive x24 (Black)
Duronic USB External Slim CD-ROM Drive x24 (Black)
Offered by DURONIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 24 Jun. 2012
Despite many DOA reviews, I went for this because it seemed like a bargain. So, of course, it was DOA. Sent it straight back after spending a couple of hours trying to fix it. Seems like I was one of the many unlucky ones. Poor quality control?

Seven Kings: How it Feels to be a Teenager
Seven Kings: How it Feels to be a Teenager
by Fran Abrams

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of insight, 11 July 2009
I'm interested in this book because I am a teacher and a parent.

The descriptions of teenagers' everyday experiences are fascinating, but the book really scores when the author draws together observations to comment on things like...

- why don't kids respect teachers as we used to?
- what are the home factors that promote success at school?

I recommend it for both parents and teachers.

Fred Hoyle's Universe
Fred Hoyle's Universe
by Jane Gregory

1.0 out of 5 stars What's the point?, 30 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Fred Hoyle's Universe (Hardcover)
Very disappointing. This biography is a blend between an extended cv and a retelling of some gossip.

There is lots of detail about what Hoyle's jobs were, and about who was in dispute with, but teh science behind the disagreements, or Hoyle's progress is not explained, and there is nothing at all about his family.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2013 9:11 AM BST

Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town
Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town
by Paul Theroux

1.0 out of 5 stars nasty negative self-absorbsion, 6 Jan. 2007
He doesn't have a good word to say about anyone except his literary heros/heroine.

He didn't enjoy the trip much, but seems to see himself as some sort of hero. Notably he is uncritical about his own role now (describing himself with approval as a globetrotter) or formally as a teacher in Malawi and Uganda.

Shame he doesn't even understand that mzee in kiswhaili is a term of respect, not derision.

Don't bother with this one.

Hama Star 63 Tripod with Carry Case
Hama Star 63 Tripod with Carry Case
Offered by TapeCity

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 19 Oct. 2006
Much better quality than I had expected for the price.

Absolutely delighted.

Highly recommended.

iSkin EVO2 iPod Jacket for 4th Gen 40GB iPod - Carbon
iSkin EVO2 iPod Jacket for 4th Gen 40GB iPod - Carbon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for my iPod, 17 Jun. 2005
I find it very easy to get the iPod into the case. The protection is excellent, and I can still access all the ports although I cannot use the cradle.
An unexpected benefit is that the case stops the iPod from sliding around on the dashboard in the car.

In Ethiopia With a Mule
In Ethiopia With a Mule
by Dervla Murphy

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 20 May 2003
Compelling account, in her usual down-to-earth style. I read it because I wanted to know about Ethiopia, but at times woried that I was learning more about the author. By the time I got to the end, I realised that in fact I had absorbed a great deal about Ethiopians, which I hope will help me when I go there.
Murphy's trip is a bold endevour - she sets off each day with the mule, and with no idea of where she will stay. Most nights she arranges accomodation with people she comes across, and depends on them to help her load the mule next day. This made me think hard too: most of the people she stayed with were very poor, and sharing thier meal with Murphy can not have been easy for them. But then maybe she offered cash even though she doesn't mention it - and then again, as she points out, at that time, cash meant little in most of the places she visited.
Anyway, it made me think, and provided an insight into the culture and circumstances of rural Ethiopia - at least at in the '60s.

Page: 1 | 2