Profile for EpicDom > Reviews

Content by EpicDom

EpicDom

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nintendo 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro (Nintendo 3DS)
Nintendo 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary for Monster Hunter, 10 Jun. 2013
I bought this solely for Monster Hunter. I personally didn't feel like I completely needed this as I had got use to using the touch screen for the camera. However, I think when the battles became more difficult and intense, I can't quite imagine not using this. The extra circle pad was helpful for changing the camera in a smoother and slick way. This was not the only benefit of the circle pad pro xl though as the extra shoulder buttons are definitely useful. I mapped these to also help move the position of the camera gradually left and right. This is more helpful when you need your thumb for performing attacks and you can't change the camera position with the extra circle pad at the same time. So in some cases, the extra buttons may be more helpful for camera changes for that reason.

I thought the downside would be the battery life since I'd prefer being able to charge the circle pad pro rather than replace with batteries but I've been playing Monster Hunter for at least 80 hours and the battery life of the circle pad pro is still seemingly going strong. My boyfriend absolutely refuses to play Monster Hunter without the circle pad pro so initially I have to give my one to him and ended up buying another one for myself again. For him this is compulsory for the game. The only downside I can think of is that it is slightly bulky for me but apart from that I can't really fault it. Battery life is great (my boyfriend has been playing Monster Hunter at least 10 more hours than I have and the battery on his one has not ran out yet) and I'm glad there's extra buttons along with the extra circle pad.

I'd recommend this for people who want to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid.

HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard
HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard
Offered by The Outlet Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars For my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, 19 May 2013
Initially I did want those keyboards that the tablet rests on and then acts as a back cover. However, I couldn't warrant the amount when I knew the product would be quite flimsy and mainly a gimmick. It is practical, but I wanted something more durable. Instead, I went for this product.

I do wish I could charge this keyboard instead of inserting batteries because I'm not one to use them any more but so far I've not had to replace the battery at all. The product is generally quite well build, sturdy and I'm perfectly fine typing on it. I can be quite particular with keyboards because I like to type fast and without having to look down but the keys are pretty comfortable react fair to being pressed in the sense there's no resistance and it doesn't feel cheap. The one slight downside is that there is a noticeable lag, even if it is slight. I've mostly noticed this when I've quickly tapped the Cap Lock and turned it off. The keyboard sometimes can't react quick enough to my typing. This might be an issue with the fact it is bluetooth rather than the actual product so that might explain the slight delay.

Another thing that may annoy people is that for some symbols the keys are backwards. It can make this a little bit less intuitive, but in all honesty, this hasn't affected me greatly for me to dislike it.

This keyboard has just generally made my tablet more productive which is what I wanted. I find the on screen keyboard too difficult to use when I need to write paragraphs so this purchase has definitely been practical for me. It's not as perfect say a laptop or a proper wired keyboard as I have mentioned above, but it is pretty good, and also necessary if you plan to do a lot of typing on tablets.

One last tip for android users, you can disable the onscreen keyboard with an app called Null Input Keyboard. You don't want to waste that screen estate by still keeping the on screen keyboard visible.

Over all, yes I would recommend this product.

Virtue's Last Reward (Nintendo 3DS)
Virtue's Last Reward (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good game, 2 Dec. 2012
I've previously played 999 so I'm aware of the whole format. I didn't want to write a review until I had played quite a bit, and now I'm almost 20 hours in and I've still yet to finish the game or uncover the secrets.

Just to warn you, be prepared to replay this game many, many times. Now don't be daunted, you can easily skip through the parts you've gone through already, but to get the final ending you'll have to keep going through this game.

I would pretty much compare this game to the Saw franchise but don't let that fool you, it is much more sophisticated and intelligent. What I like most about this game is that it doesn't hold your hand and baby you. There's a lot of complex topics that the game will throw at you to give you a better understanding of the background, i.e. explaining what antimatter is or the schrodinger's cat experiment. I think you have to be open minded and be willing to accept there is a lot of text as this is a visual novel after all.

Another aspect that is important is decision making. There is no doubt about it, your decisions will make a big impact and ultimately affect the ending. It can affect the way characters see you but it can also be more life altering for your character.

There's little things that I appreciate about the game that I think they elaborated on since the prequel, like the fact that at times your character can become conscious of previous decisions you've made in the past even though technically he's never experienced it before because this time you chose differently. He'll respond with "Wait! You chose betray last time!" referring to an earlier decision you made that caused such results. I'll try not to spoil too much for you because the storyline is the best part. Although I love how difficult the puzzles can be that it'll really wrack your brain, I tend to try and get through the puzzles quickly just to see what's going to happen next.

Although I have yet to reach the end of the game, I would highly recommend you to play 999 first because I feel there will be a lot of connections made between the two games. If I'm to be honest, so far I still prefer the characters in 999 because they felt more fleshed out, but as I've explained I've still yet to be close to finishing the game so my view may change completely. Either way, I feel everyone should keep an open mind and experience this game.

Edit: I forgot to come back to this review after completing it and I have to say, I was mind blown by the ending. The last couple of hours when I started unlocking everyone's endings I was pretty gob smacked. By the end, the storyline moves at such a fast pace and it is definitely open to another sequel. As some of you know a third game is being made. I will reconfirm that you definitely need to play 999, particularly to appreciate the ending as other wise some aspects will be lost on you. I can't wait for the next game!

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Note 2 II N7100 Black Slim TPU Hydro Gel Case Cover, Includes Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't really complain about the case, 17 Oct. 2012
It fits my phone nicely, and I guess I didn't look at the product properly but I was pleasantly surprised by the grips on the side. For the phone's size, it can be difficult to hold, so the grips on the side do help. I kind of wish the whole case was a gel based one as a personal preference since it's a combination of that and a matte finish, but it is quite nice and understated. I can't say it's protected my phone perfectly from drops since I've only dropped my phone once face flat(I almost had a heart attack)but it didn't seem to suffer from anything. I'm not sure if that's down to the case or the gorilla glass 2. However, the sides are slightly raised so your phone should not fall directly face flat, but of course it won't protect it if it falls at an angle.

The Witcher : Enhanced Edition - Platinum (PC DVD)
The Witcher : Enhanced Edition - Platinum (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm a little biased, 19 Jun. 2012
I did start reading 3 of the books before starting the game (I'm now on book 4) so I have a fondness for Geralt. I always get excited when I see familiar characters pop up although thanks to Geralt's amnesia he has no idea who they are. Maybe for people that do not know Geralt too much, the reason why he seems some what dead-panned and monotone is because Witchers go through such mutation that by the end of it they should have no emotions. Emphasis on the word should because from what I know of him, he sometimes shows to be an exception.

I know this game is something like 5 years old so I'm lenient in that respect. I think Oblivion is still better looking but The Witcher isn't ugly. Graphics aren't always important.

Initially I'll admit I was disappointed with the game. The prologue wasn't greatly interesting, I didn't care about the characters such as the other witchers or Triss to be honest. I'll admit I haven't taken to Triss' character in the books yet either but in the game she seems even less interesting and shallow. She seems to be the typical useless female despite the fact she's a sorceress. Now when you read the books, useless females are quite rare, particularly sorceress'. I'm not sure if Yennifer is in this one, but I heard she pops up in the second one, when you meet her you'll understand. Admittedly, I haven't finished this game, I'm probably nearing the end of Chapter 2 so these characters haven't been fully developed yet.

Moreover, when I was finally taught about combat I was taken back that it was simply a point and click. It literally is, click on the opponent and click in time to chain combos. I wasn't really impressed at all.

So why have I given it 4 out of 5 when I'm complaining about it so much? Because the prologue is probably the worst part. It does get a lot better.

The combat I mentioned? It took getting use to, but I've really started to enjoy it. Particularly because there are different fighting styles that are dependent on the opponent. What is interesting though is that you find out about the monsters you're fighting by reading books and scrolls or even by collecting information from characters. For the first time in a game collecting books and reading is useful and more importantly, actually necessary. So you need to collect certain herbs or items that monsters drop? Make sure you have knowledge on it first other wise you'll be able to find it. These collections aren't pointless either as you can use these as ingredients to make potions. Potions can be vital in combat at times as each one has different effects. I've not come across this yet but I believe if you take too many potions it'll have a negative effect on Geralt. In addition to the combat, you also have signs where one can create a gust of wind that knocks your opponents onto their back or even set them on fire. Like any other RPG, you can upgrade your skills and signs through levelling up.

What I love most about the game is the story. The beginning was weak but Chapter one really pulled me in as I began to uncover many mysteries. You start realising that all is not as it seems and that maybe the monsters aren't actually the monsters. Sometimes you have to make important decisions and the great thing is they actually do make an impact on the game. It can affect who your main enemy will be, if a character will live or not and how people will perceive you. It all comes down to your decisions and what makes it even more difficult is that there isn't a clear right or wrong.You'll always be questioning your decisions and this may persuade you to play the game more than once just to see all the outcomes. Even right now I've been so indecisive because I know my decisions will affect the storyline. In the books Geralt stated that if he's given a choice between evils he would choice neither. However, at times you're forced to choose the 'lesser evil' and even then you question if your decision truly reflects that. At times I've grown attached to characters to the point where I don't suspect them to be the culprits that I do feel sad when secrets begin to reveal itself. Sometimes your attachment affects your decisions.

I mentioned that the game isn't as graphically appealing as Oblivion at first glance but what I do enjoy about it is that there is definitely a sense of atmosphere. There's a big difference between day and night. There's usually a lively crowd of people during the day but when it reaches night time you know it's unsafe. You'll find monsters in places you would never suspect. Gone are days where going inside a house keeps you safe from harm as I've been naive enough to assume that and I've ended up being greeted at the door by a monster. With the combination of the eerie music and the sometimes isolated towns, I usually feel a sense of tension as if something is about to happen so I think the game was successful in that sense.

I'm not going to say this game is for everyone, the combat alone will probably put off many people but I've been patient enough to get through that barrier and right now this is the only game I play. Moreover, the game is very old so some will possibly turn away from the graphics although you would miss a lot of great classics with that mentality. I didn't give this 5 stars because the books are so much more philosophical and meaningful and although this game still makes you think more than most games as your decisions really do affect the outcome, it doesn't quite live up to the epicness of the books. Maybe I'm being too critical as I'm comparing two completely different medias.

One advice I would give people, although again it might not suit all, is ditch the English voiceovers and go for the Polish. My boyfriend thinks I'm mad for doing this and that there's nothing wrong with the English voice acting. However, I feel like the Polish voice over conveys much more emotion. Maybe because it's foreign to me but it makes the towns feel a lot more harsh and alienated, particularly towards Geralt which I feel is how it should be. It should be cold and bleak and not have the cheery cockney accent which I found too over the top. I also found Geralt's Polish voice to surprisingly not be so monotone in comparison to his English voice although he wasn't voiced dreadfully either way. I'm not sure whether it's due to my personal preference or whether it's because the Polish language is native so the voice acting was actually done a lot better.

I'll briefly touch upon the extras but I was pleasantly surprised that the game came with a full game guide. It might be a little brief to some but it's a welcome addition considering how cheap the game is nowadays. Compare this to something like Dark Souls where the guide purposely skips vital parts. I'm also glad that you only need the DVD's once and you'll never need it again to play the game. Since the game is so cheap now, I don't think anyone has much to lose by trying it out. I can't believe it's taken me so long to start playing these games. One last advice, definitely read the books as well, they're amazing.

The Last Wish
The Last Wish

5.0 out of 5 stars This is now probably one of my favourite books, 5 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Last Wish (Kindle Edition)
Most probably know of the Witcher videogame series as I did also take great interest. I chose Dragon Age instead of Witcher 2 because my friend is absolutely obsessed. Recently another friend bought Witcher and while looking the game up I found that these games are based on novels. I was unsure whether to buy this book before playing the games but I decided to do so anyway. Bear in mind I didn't really read the synopsis, I merely based my purchase glowing reviews.

Let me just say that I purchased this book at the wrong time as I was going through important deadlines. As much as I tried to keep putting my Kindle down to do work, every so often I was urged to pick the book up again and continue reading. I loved the language, the approach, I loved everything. Everything felt refreshing.

Many people will have mentioned the influences of fairy tales but it weaves into the short stories very, very well that it doesn't feel out of place. I think what drew me into this book was that it is very believable and I think that is important. Yes it contains monsters but as the stories unfold, you realise things aren't as black and white as they seem. Even Geralt, the main protagonist, is a complex being. Despite the fact he is supposedly voided of emotions, his interaction with life around him suggests that there may be more to this character. You'll find his reactions amusing but also some what surprisingly philosophical.

I would highly suggest people to read this book, I've already suggested this to a friend and they finished it within a day! If only the rest of the books were translated quicker (other than Blood of Elves( but I've so far resorted to fan translations in the mean time. This book certainly makes you think about themes that are relevant to us.

Avatar: The Last  Airbender - The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four)
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four)
by Gene Luen Yang

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised by the book, 29 May 2012
I had only just recently got into Avatar (I know, I'm really late) and I've been absolutely addicted to it. I was left feeling some what empty after I finished the series and I have been keeping up to date with Legend of Korra but it's just not the same. I decided to purchase this book as I heard it was a bridge between the two series. I have to say I absolutely enjoyed it because all the characters were as lively as ever that I could imagine how they sounded in my head. I managed to get my boyfriend to start watching the series too and he read all of this in less than an hour. He said he wished this was made into an episode.

I've taken a star off because I was disappointed at how short this was for the price. I'm suppose to pay £6-7 for each part that I could read in half an hour. I know this is fully coloured as opposed to black and white manga but I feel that the content didn't warrant the price. However, I'm still a sucker and I'll be eagerly awaiting the next instalment since it does take roughly 6 months for each part to be released.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a gift to my mum, 29 May 2012
I already have the Kindle Keyboard 3G but I bought this for my mum as recently she has taken up reading again, particularly in bed before she sleeps. I decided I would get this as an early birthday present. Her first reaction was that she was pleasantly surprised at how light and compact the Kindle is. Initially she was baffled as how to charge it or even turn it on.

A month later, I've not even needed to help her use it whatsoever. She knows how to access her books, how to read it obviously, but she's now even capable of buying more books on her Kindle. In the first week she had to charge it again because she was using it that much.

I'm pleased she is happy with her present and I'm glad it's encouraged her to read more. I also purchased a clip on light for her as she didn't want me to spend so much on a lighted cover.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but the perseverance paid off, 29 May 2012
Admittedly, when I read the first chapter I wasn't particularly impressed or drawn in. I've been pretty much overwhelmed by people telling me how great the books and TV series are so initially I wasn't taken in. It took me almost half way to truly get into the book and that was possibly down to each chapter changing character perspectives.

This may sound like a completely negative review, but let me tell you that I persevered and I'm glad I did. Once you get use to the fact that the point of view changes every chapter, you'll realise how in real time the events seem to feel or you're some what left on a cliffhanger by each one and you can't wait to return back to each character's story. I grew quite drawn into the character developments and you realise that everything truly is not black and white. There's been characters that belong to the less favourable side that you can't help but be charmed and you're almost unknowingly rooting for them despite the fact their house is causing conflict.

The reason why I have taken one star off is because of the slow start as I had mentioned that it took me almost half way to truly get into it but I'm glad I never gave up. This isn't written from a person who is biased to the series since I had no idea what this was about beforehand nor was I truly persuaded by people's opinions. I wanted to see what this was like myself and I did enjoy it.

Shop4 Red Slim Hydro Gel Skin Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note Mobile Phone
Shop4 Red Slim Hydro Gel Skin Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes well with my black Galaxy Note, 17 April 2012
It does what it set out to do. It protects my phone because the edges protrude slightly yet retains a slim form. It also looks rather stylish with my black Galaxy Note as my friend keeps commenting on it. I like it. I may later on purchase a purple one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3