Profile for S. Riggall > Reviews

CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey
CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey
Offered by CPR Distribution
Price: 38.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful! Great value for the price!, 27 April 2013
I have been recently plagued by continuous calls for PPI, insurance, surveys, and so on, and most recently had an attempt from a company claiming to be from "HomeShield Insurance" who were basically trying to gain financial information illegally to be sold to third parties. (I should point out that there is an actual Homeshield Insurance who have nothing to do with this scam - but then they don't make cold calls either!!)

This device does what is says. You plug it in and it just works. It's very easy to set up (we're on Virgin media so we had to use line 2 and tel 2 and of course get caller ID enabled first).

There are some other devices out there that cost a bit more and seem a bit more configurable and in hindsight I might have preferred one of the more expensive sets.

The things that I DON'T like about this are:

(1) There is no easy way to determine how many calls have been blocked or the associated numbers.
(2) When a call is "blocked" it doesn't seem to actually disconnect the call - instead the caller just gets no sound and you get no ringing phones. This is all well and good however if you are unlucky enough to want to make a call while one of these callers is on the line you can end up picking up the phone to find one of them there! I would prefer it if the unit actually "hung up" the call rather than just leaving it silently answered.

The things that I DO like are:

(1) It's the cheapest unit on the market for it functionality.
(2) It's very easy to configure using a series of # codes you enter using the telephone.
(3) It's really easy to set up, taking literally minutes to get up and running.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2013 3:38 PM BST

Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging)
Price: 42.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Set!! Highly Recommended!, 27 April 2013
As a software developer I need a reliable, comfortable mouse and keyboard every day. I found this set to be perfect for me. I also suffer from reasonably severe RSI so these are perfect for me and doesn't aggravate the condition.

The blue laser mouse is superb with perfect tracking and a smooth feel. The whole thing worked first time, no drivers required (using Windows 7) and I would certainly recommend this item. I have two of these; one for home and one for work!

Cat5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Cable UTP Lead 5M
Cat5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Cable UTP Lead 5M
Offered by techstore15
Price: 1.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 18 April 2013
I needed a long cable to connect my NAS to a more remote area of the room.
This is a good quality cable, and works at the full gigabit bandwidth on my network which is great.
Would definitely recommend.

Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 10.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - More like Uncharted for the 360, 18 April 2013
I have found this to be a fantastic purchase. It has been written very well indeed and provides hours of great entertainment.
It's not really like the previous TR titles and feels a lot more like the Uncharted series of games on the PS3 for anyone that's played those.

I have mixed feelings overall since as a game in its own right it's very good (I really like the uncharted series on PS3), however I really like the traditional puzzle oriented TR games of the past which I miss in this. Although there are some very mild puzzles to solve they are few and far between mainly only as part of the "secret tomb" side-quests. This is a far more combat oriented game than in the past.

Sekonda Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Analogue - Digital Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet 3850.27
Offered by WatchO
Price: 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A good watch, especially for the price. Stopped working after a few months., 18 April 2013
I found this to be a great all round watch for the price. It looks great on the wrist and does everything it claims. I only have a few issues with this:

(1) The watch is very chunky (about 1.5cm) which is a bit more than I'd like (it can catch on close fitting shirt sleeves and so on) but you do get used to it.

(2) The controls / interface is somewhat cumbersome. It took my an age to work out how to turn off the hourly alarm, and somehow I managed to get the wrong day displayed for the date. I would expect the day of week to be inferred from the date.

Overall it's a good looking watch, it feels of a high quality build and seems accurate and reliable.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2013 3:26 PM BST

Printer USB Cable Lead for ALL HP Photosmart Printers and Faxes - See Description for Compatibility List: 7400 7450 7450v 7450xi 7459 7530 7550 7550v 7550w 7600 7600w 7655 7660 7660v 7660w 7700 7755 7760 7760v 7760w 7762 7765 7850 7900 7960 7960gp 7960v 7960w 8049 8050 8050xi 8150
Offered by Decrescent
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what you'd expect., 18 April 2013
Having purchased the HP Photosmart 7520 I found the wireless capability to be next to useless with the printer hardly ever being recognised on my network. I ended up connecting it to my NAS which was already on the wireless network, thereby making the printer work correctly and consistently over my wireless network.

The cable is of good quality and worked right away, as you'd expect.

Alpine SleepSoft Earplugs
Alpine SleepSoft Earplugs
Offered by Five Star
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for sleeping!, 18 April 2013
I am a front/side sleeper so I need ear plugs that you really cant feel when your ear is on the pillow.

PROS: I can say that these certainly worked for me. When inserted using the supplied adapter they have a very comfortable fit and block out nearly all ambient noise. You do have to make sure they are inserted correctly though otherwise they only partially block out noise.

CONS: I've had 3 of these so far and 2/3 arrived with a damaged case. While this doesn't affect the plugs it does make storage awkward. I have found that these plugs have a life span of around 30 uses. The instructions say you can clean using lukewarm water, however I have found that doing this every day causes the membrane to thin and eventually the noises start to get through. I have found that simply wiping clean using a tissue if necessary and maybe rinsing once a week is a good way to prolong the life.

Overall I would recommend these ear plugs for sleeping.

Logitech OEM Internet 1500 Wireless Laser Desktop
Logitech OEM Internet 1500 Wireless Laser Desktop

3.0 out of 5 stars Some issues found, 19 Aug 2008
On first look this bundle is pretty neat. The PC picked up the keyboard and mouse straight away without hassle, and both the keyboard and mouse are responsive and nice to use.

Sadly, I have found a couple of issues with the keyboard specifically:

(1) The key combination of CTRL+SHIFT+CURSOR does not respond in some instances. As a software developer I use this key combination a lot to hightlight whole words to the left and right of the caret. Anyone who develops or does a lot of word processing may find this VERY irritating. In my experience it usually works for three of the cursor arrow directions, but not the fourth, and usually the left arrow is affected (i.e. you can't CTRL+SHIFT+CURSOR-LEFT) but sometimes it's one of the other directions instead.

(2) The control panel software you get to program the keyboard additional functions keys is quite nice, but for the keyboard if you assign an internet URL to a key, it will only work if your browser is already open, otherwise it does nothing. You can kind of solve this by putting the path to your browser with a command line argument but it's hassle.

(3) The mouse "feels" like it would be more suited to a left hander due to the ergonimic design; maybe just as I am so used to an MS optical mouse.

Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (Special Edition) [DVD] [1983]
Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (Special Edition) [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Doctor Who!, 10 Oct 2002
This is one of my favourite Who stories. I disagree that all the 80s stuff is rubbish - although it is different to some of the earlier stuff, and there is a period from end end of the Davison era and the McCoy era where the stories suffer. This however, in my opinion, is a fantastic story.
Peter Moffat (who incidentally is Peter Davison, writing under his real name) directs the story, and I believe does quite a good job. There are certain scenes such as the Smith rescue which do indeed look a bit silly, but by and large most of the story lines and portrayals in Who are much the same!
I think that the story is great, Hurndall does a great job deputising for the late Hartnell, and the integration of the missing story "Shada" scenes to bring Tom Baker in to it (who incidentally turned down the part) is pretty clever all in all.
The interaction of the four present doctors is good, with each having his own subplots making it a great watch. I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in Dr Who, or for those who have not seen one before.

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus [With CD-Rom]
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus [With CD-Rom]
by Andre LaMothe

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. The perfect game programming companion., 26 Mar 2000
LaMothe has written a fantastic book here. The content is excellent and covers lots and lots of subjects in great detail. To understand much of the 2D rasterizer parts you do need a fairly good grasp of maths, in particular of algebra. I was a bit disappointed to not get any 3D in the book (although there is a 3D primer on the CD), and it is a bit crap that all throughout the book the author refers to volume II (the 3D bit) but this is a seperate buy - not released yet I dont think - but the 2D coverage is excellent. I have thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Page: 1 | 2