ARRAY(0xa3494edc)

Economics
Economics
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Economics (Kindle Edition)
Just downloaded this kindle textbook for free! Over 1000 pages and scanning through, looks amazing, well worth it! Should keep me busy a while.

Philosophy For Dummies (UK Edition)
Philosophy For Dummies (UK Edition)
by Martin Cohen
Price: 10.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard fare, 30 Mar 2014
It's a 'dummies' book, what can I say? It's standard fare for the Dummies series of books, gives a broad overview with accent on humour over seriousness. As wit most dummies books I have read, there are some glaring errors in there that beginners won't know about until they get a little deeper in to the subject. I recommend it if you can get it for half the list price, 10 is a bit steep when there is a gamut of intro philosophy books out there, some better, even cheaper.

Sherlock Holmes in America
Sherlock Holmes in America
by Martin Greenberg
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy elementary..., 30 Mar 2014
Ok, so when I heard 'elementary' (Holmes in America) was coming to our screens, I wasn't too happy, but after trying it, I love it! As with 'Sherlock Holmes in America' prejudice crept in, but, I tried it and I liked it. This is a collection of short stories based around Holmes in America, written by various authors, which helps keep the Holmes mythology alive and kicking with a fresh twist.

The Man From Uncle
The Man From Uncle
by Michael Avallone

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Man From Uncle (Paperback)
I have vague memories of the TV series from childhood and didn't even know about the books. Having been handed a collection (not complete) of these, I started at number one (this book) and wow! I thought Bond was a good read. This is action packed from the very start, best read in ages :)

A Moment of Clarity - Digital Science Fiction Visions Imprint
A Moment of Clarity - Digital Science Fiction Visions Imprint
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 7 Mar 2014
Childlike, simplistic, rehashed, old hat, nothing new here. Short stories need to grip you immediately, this just didn't deliver the goods, sorry.

The Mark of Zorro (Penguin Classics)
The Mark of Zorro (Penguin Classics)
by Johnston McCulley

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the penguin classics version, 4 Mar 2014
This one is by far the best in my opinion and in my humble opinion, buy the penguin classics version for the introduction alone, it is superb!

SanDisk SDCZ50-032G-B35 32GB Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ50-032G-B35 32GB Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Price: 11.26

1.0 out of 5 stars bad choice, 5 Feb 2014
My friend bought this for me on the back of the brand name, which is usually good. This one however has caused nothing but frustrations, really slow transfer rate and unless I use it on the same pc I First used it on, it does not recognise any files bizarrely, waste of 12!

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
by Ray Bradbury
Price: 6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from the start, 29 Dec 2012
I love dystopian novels and only wish I had read this book many years ago. As an amateur bibliophile, the burning of books makes me physically sick, but I guess this is exactly the result Bradbury was looking for in the writing of this.

This book also challenged the way I think and more importantly 'feel' about books. After all, what is a book if not a simple receptacle of knowledge, as we have seen, the shift is now moving to Ebooks, something I have mostly steered clear of.

We read for knowledge knowing fine well that some other 'expert' tears that book apart. We read for pleasure knowing fine well we have a multitude of TV channels, cinemas, streaming movies and video games to give us instant pleasure and gratification, often available at the fraction price of a good book.

This book reminds us that we are mere receptacles, nothing more and the best we can do for our planet is remember and clean up the mess our Governments force upon us.

The Economy of the Greek Cities: From the Archaic Period to the Early Roman Empire
by Leopold Migeotte
Price: 18.11

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent primer, 26 Dec 2012
Being relatively new to the study of Greco-Roman history I have been looking for quality over quantity and this book delivers. I found it gave me great insight to the way Greek cities ran from an economic perspective, not too dry in the reading and giving you breadth in a sweep as opposed to depth which probably only interests academics or researchers.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone wanting a more insightful view in to ancient Greek history.

Vote for Caesar: How the Ancient Greeks and Romans Solved the Problems of Today
Vote for Caesar: How the Ancient Greeks and Romans Solved the Problems of Today
by Peter Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Politically incorrect and proud of it!, 21 Dec 2012
Unlike some reviewers of this book, I have read this cover to cover and found it a fascinating read. I have always been heavily indebted to political philosophy and after many recommendations decided to deepen and strengthen my knowledge of Governments and politics by studying the classics.
I stumbled across this book which seemed to marry perfectly classics with politics and I was not proven wrong.
As readers likely know, classic literature can at times be hard going, this on the other hand was witty, humorous, informative and insightful. It was a joy to read and no doubt to be re-read when various political debates pop up as they will so I can make claims from antiquity among friends of how the Greeks or Romans approached such prickly problems.
A must buy in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9