Profile for SJATurney > Reviews

Content by SJATurney

SJATurney "Roma Victrix" (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Tom Swan and the Head of St George Part One: Castillon
Tom Swan and the Head of St George Part One: Castillon

5.0 out of 5 stars A new and very welcome direction, 9 Sep 2012
I am familiar with Cameron's writing from Killer of Men, which is an astounding novel written with feeling and depth, and I am aware of his work being a sweeping set of different series all set within the mileu of Ancient Greece. Thus it came as a bit of a surprise to me to discover that he had branched out with a series of short e-books based in the 15th century. I have to admit to having been intrigued enough that I bought Tom Swan pt1 and shuffled it into my reading pile (it's only short, and I read it in one night so it caused no backing up of books.)

The style of Tom Swan is very different from Cameron's other work, I would say, though that is no bad thing and it suits the serialized adventure fiction type of book that this is perfectly.

The thing that struck me most about this work was the simplicity of the story and the plot and the humour and real humanity injected throughout. Too often historical fiction takes itself far too seriously it can be a real tonic to punctuate the deeply heart-rending or tense pile of books in my reading list with something light, enjoyable and exciting like this.

I have to say that I had no idea what the story was about, and still I have not read the description of the book or the sequels. The title intrigued me and, while I hate giving spoilers in my reviews, I have to say that I've reached the end of part one and still have no idea of the relevance of the title! I am therefore dying to read part two and dig deeper.

The characters in this story are realistic and among the most engaging in anything I've read - especially Alessandro, who has leapt into my top ten supporting characters of all time. The plot rattles away at an excellent pace that never leaves the reader wanting.

Quite simply, this book is a stunning piece of writing and I think it would be a complete waste if the potential reader passed it up at the wonderfully low price it sells at. I for one will continue to read the rest of the books and hope Cameron's planning on taking the series past three books.

Well done Mr Cameron for taking a chance on a new era and a whole new style of book and nailing it perfectly.

The Stockholm Octavo
The Stockholm Octavo
by Karen Engelmann

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex & fascinating, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Stockholm Octavo (Hardcover)
The Stockholm Octavo is a complex piece to consider or review. My opinion of the book has been high all the way through, though I have had trouble nailing down why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Engelmann's writing is fluid, graceful and highly emotive. It is very hard not to get sucked into the story and the prose that conveys it, and the descriptions, locations, activities and conversation evoke a feeling of another time and place, totally removed from the reader's world. I suspect that this is the fact that will make or break the book for a lot of people. To be honest, for me the way the book was written made the actual reading of the book hard work, requiring a lot more concentration than much historical fiction. Fortunately, the plot and setting are so intriguing that I found that even when I put the book down I was wondering what was coming next and had to pick it back up again.

The story revolves around a plot against the King of Sweden in the late 18th century, tied in with the ambitions of a gambler with a career in the city bureaucracy and an Octavo that is drawn for him - an Octavo is an unusual form of Cartomancy where eight cards are drawn on consecutive nights and represent the eight persons that are intimately tied into a great event, and which, if worked correctly, can control that event and bring it about. Beyond that I shall say no more - I am all for avoiding spoilers in a review.

One thing that really did enthral me in the book is the setting Sweden in the age of Revolution is about as alien an environment for me as I could find, and therefore every page brought me new learning and fascinating facts, painting a picture of a world I have never considered. Moreover, in the background, the world is undergoing great events following the revolutions in France and America. It really is a deep and fascinating situation for a writer and I am now amazed that so little has previously been written about it.

Two things that detracted a little for me and which I think were over-emphasised more than necessary for the story were the nature of the period's folding ladies' fans and their use and meaning, and the details of the card games played in the seedy gaming house. Both were a little too in-depth for me and slowed the story to a sluggish pace at times. Yet (and this is what confirms that this is all a matter of personal opinion) the detail of the cartomancy and the laying and interpretation of the octavo I found fascinating.

All in all, I would say that if you're looking for fast paced, action packed historical fiction, this book will leave you wanting considerably. If, however, you're looking for an immersive experience that tells a complex tale in a beautiful manner and brings to life a strange and intricate time and place, then you'll enjoy the Stockholm Octavo.

End result: Not for everyone, but a fascinating look at an unusual setting.

Tortured Hearts - Twisted Tales of Love - Volume 1
Tortured Hearts - Twisted Tales of Love - Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Some classic tales to chill and teach, 5 Sep 2012
There are some truly classic tales here.

I would issue a warning straight away that a number of them are not for the faint-hearted (I am known for my violent battle scenes and yet I quailed at a few things in this collection).

That doesn't however, stop them being eminently readable. I consider the highlights to be Threads of Love by Rachel Dove, which stood out for me, and A Mother's Love by Paul Murphy that left me stunned.

They're bite-sized stories told by some exceptional storytellers and I urge you to have a try and see if you want to buy (I suspect you will)

St Viper's School for Super Villains. The Riotous Rocket Ship Robbery.
St Viper's School for Super Villains. The Riotous Rocket Ship Robbery.
by Kim Donovan

4.0 out of 5 stars An innovative tale, 2 Sep 2012
Clearly, I'm not the target audience for St Viper's, but I would still recommend it to everyone with a kid in the target age group.

The story is very much a fast-paced super-heist story mixed with a traditional underdogs coming out on top in training story. The text is fired at the reader in a staccato gunburst of fun, which should suit the reader perfectly and is accompanied by a series of illustrations that, though I initially thought might be too cgi for me, were actually perfectly suited and worked very nicely throughout.

If I had one quibble, and it's really only a small thing and probably only affects adults, rather than the kids it's aimed at, it would be that the story drops into the action too fast and the plot was already racing away before I was really getting to grips with the characters. I think I would have liked a chapter or two of into that brought us the characters and situation slowly. As I say, though, this probably will have little effect on kids who will relish the instant action.

I can imaging that, while this is a charming and innovative debut, the sequel will be a stunning piece of work, being able to build on the existing characters and situations.

You have kids the right age for St Viper's? Buy it. Treat them. They'll love it.

Avenger of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens 3)
Avenger of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens 3)
by Douglas Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Rome is avenged., 1 Sep 2012
Whew. I finished it. Not a phew as in `that was tough going' but a phew as in `wow what a powerful conclusion.'

I've been reading Doug Jackson's books since Caligula first appeared in hardback, while I was still writing my first, and I love his work. But when he started the Valerius Verrens series, something changed and his work stepped up several notches.

Hero of Rome (the novel that introduces the character) is one of the best Roman novels I've read and the scenes of the evacuation of Colonia in advance of Boudicca's attack were among the most powerful I've seen. The second Valerius novel, Defender of Rome, had a different feel and a different tack. It was a brave novel and a powerful one, if a little bleak and soul-withering at times.
Avenger of Rome is a book I've been waiting to read for some time. I found it difficult to see how the story could progress after the second book.

Well Doug did good! Avenger is a triumph of a novel. It has the tension of the first book in the series and the depth of the second combined, but it also has much more. It is far and away the best of the series so far and left me wanting more.
After the horrifying events in Rome in `Defender', in this great tale, Valerius is sent east with the remit of investigating General Corbulo for signs of treason. But nothing is as it seems and, as Valerius becomes more and more involved in matters, he finds himself becoming a valuable and trusted member of the great general's staff as Corbulo defies imperial edict in order to safeguard the empire, whatever the cost to himself.

Certain things stand out about this book, to me. Firstly, the journey - which occupies a quarter of the book - is a magnificent tale in itself and could quite easily have made the basis for a novel on its own.

Secondly, the book features some of my favourite characters from Roman history (Vespasian, Titus and Corbulo) and does each of them proud, the depiction of Corbulo particularly striking a chord with me as it is very much how I have always imagined him. While I would hardly describe Nero as one of my favourites, I also have to admire the way Doug handles the complex character of the youthful emperor. Nero is an enigma and the character is built upon from the second book to a strangely almost understandable and certainly pitiable combination of paranoia, pride, neediness and hubris. He is too complex to pigeonhole, which is, I suspect, as close to the truth as any writer will get. Indeed, hubris is a strong theme among the more powerful characters in the novel.

Thirdly, the battle. Wow, the battle. Well, come on, it's hardly a spoiler, is it? You knew there was going to be a battle, right? I know from personal experience how hard it is to write a good battle. Not an ok battle, but a good one. I've tried. And in the end, I come down to showing any battle from a point of view of individual encounters, as I simply cannot adequately convey the scale of the whole thing. Doug just did. The scale was immense, the time it took, the numbers, the sheer organisation, and yet not a single detail is lost. Not even the noise. The smell. The tension. The fear. It is a work of sickening beauty.
The upshot? Valerius is one of the most interesting characters in Historical fiction at the moment and each book Doug writes adds to the depth and power of the character. This book has, however, stepped another notch upwards and, where the first left me feeling a little drained with the heart-wrenching conclusion and the second left me feeling weary and saddened, this one left me feeling awed and astounded and waiting to see what comes next (the conclusion almost pushes you straight into the next tale). Valerius, I will watch you put things right! My sword arm is with you.

Well done, Doug. A fab read. When's the next due out?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 9:44 AM BST

Renegade (Insurrection Trilogy)
Renegade (Insurrection Trilogy)
by Robyn Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Pacy and thrilling, 30 Aug 2012
Renegade surprised me as much as the first book of the trilogy (Insurrection), and I'll explain why in a minute.

This story picks up where Insurrection left off, with the Bruce having made the decision that the crown of Scotland will be his. While Insurrection told the tale of Bruce's youth and formative years and the events that made him who he is, in Renegade he is now a grown man. This book moves the story on and tells the tale of how that young man moves from self-imposed exile to build a stairway to the greatest power in Scotland.

Two things unsettled me to begin with. Firstly is knowing that the story begins with the Bruce in Ireland in a self-imposed exile, having given up the guardianship of Scotland. Seemed like a backward step, whatever the motive, and took the action somewhere I wasn't sure about. Secondly, the blurb on the back cover states that Bruce will, in this book, be forced to ally with his enemy (likely meaning King Edward of England.) This irritated, given how much you really don't want that to happen, and given the fact that this had also already happened once in the first book.

I needn't have worried. The section in Ireland is just as fascinating as the sections in Scotland and England and proceeds at good pace. And the submitting to Edward? Well it jarred to begin with, but soon settled into seeming perfectly appropriate and normal. In fact, given Robert's history with the English nobles from the first book, it was almost like returning home.

There seems to be less attention paid in this book to the Arthurian overtones or the pagan/Celtic shadows on the fringes of society, though I think this is because they have less influence on this particular part of the story (beyond the beginning in Ireland) and there are hints that they will return with great importance in the third book when it comes.

Essentially, what I saw as potential failings in the book before I really launched into it were actually nothing of the sort and, in fact, Robyn has turned the irksome facts provided by history into engaging and fascinating parts of the story.

One thing that I did notice that differed from the first novel was the pace. Insurrection ran at a steady and engrossing pace from start to finish. Renegade, I would say, starts a little slower, but with every quarter of the book the pace increased by a notch, gradually building to a crescendo. I found that I couldn't put the book down after a while and read the last third of it in one sitting, ignoring almost everything else in life until I finished it.

I also noted something that commends the book particularly for me: the tragic story of the feud between the Bruces and the Comyns which almost tears the nation apart and which, had it been absent, could have seen a peaceful, victorious and united Scotland so early. This is, to me, as good a tragic tale as the writings of Guy Gavriel Kay and it is only the third time in all my reading when I have had cause to compare a writer with Kay (who remains my favourite author of all time.) For me to compare to GGK is one of the highest recommendations I can give.

So if you've read Insurrection, you'll LOVE Renegade and no further nudge should be required. If you haven't? Read Insurrection and Renegade both. Together they form a tremendous tale of heartbreak, loss, struggle, intrigue, subterfuge, betrayal, war, murder, love, excitement, heroism and so much more.

Scotland the Brave!

Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy)
Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy)
by Robyn Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Mel..., 25 Aug 2012
Insurrection immediately took me by surprise. All I really knew of it was that it was a story of Robert Bruce. Now like most of you (I suspect) my knowledge of this great historic figure is fairly limited to the fact that he was King of Scotland, that he won at Bannockburn in 1314, and some guff about sitting in a cave and watching a spider spin a web - oh and Braveheart. Actually, that's not quite true. Being a Yorkshireman, I also knew that Bruce was actually of the DeBrus family that came from Guisborough near my home and were originally about as Scottish as Kaiser Wilhelm II. But you get my point. My knowledge was sketchy and mostly revolved around his kingship.

And so it intrigued me to discover that Insurrection is a story that begins with Robert as a teenager, freshly returned from fosterage in Ireland to his family's lands in Scotland. In fact, the story begins more with a little background to Edward I of England and the events leading to the death of King Alexander of Scotland. But I'm confusing the issue there.

Insurrection tells the story of Robert from his youth in a safe, stable Scotland, through the period of disaster following the death of Alexander, and through the wars and feuds with the Comyn and Balliol families that lead to Robert siding with the hated English during the first wave of troubles.

I won't tell the story beyond that. If you want spoilers, read the book. What I will do is tell you why you should do that.

As with Robyn's Brethren trilogy, she has not simply told the history, but interwoven a creative new story within the web of the historical fact, turning this from a straight history book to a fresh and much more personal novel.

Among the threads of Edward and Robert's story are echoes of the Arthurian legends which, while not central to the tale, are important enough to the characters to inform their actions. This additional facet not only helps to deepen the story and flesh out the characters, but also helps to fill in some of the historical gaps in the reasons for their actions.

To me, the greatest strength of the novel is the fairness levelled at the various sides. There is a great tendency when talking of William Wallace, Robert Bruce and Edward - the Hammer of the Scots - to paint the Scots as heroic, hard-done-by highlanders in kilts and woad (thank you Mel Gibson) and the English as stony-faced robots seeking only pleasure in the destruction of the Scottish way of life. Not so Robyn's treatment.

Robyn has recognised immediately that the nobles on both sides of this war were almost all of Norman descent and were far more similar than they were different. The Scottish lords are fractious and argumentative, half of them supporting the English over their own people, many of them hating each other more than the English. Robert Bruce is, of course, no exception. In fact there are times when the reader despairs over Robert's actions - a sign that the character has a truly real feel. There are no clear-cut good guys and bad guys in the story.

Insurrection is not a short book - be prepared for a sizeable read but, given that, the story races by at such pace that it seems much shorter. An exciting and involving story, very well written, the book should find a place on your shelves. Read it and finally push the Hollywood glam of Braveheart out of your mind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2012 12:02 PM BST

Hereward: The Devil's Army (Hereward 2)
Hereward: The Devil's Army (Hereward 2)
by James Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars Tour de force, 29 July 2012
Boy was I happy.

I'd read Hereward by James Wilde recently and, while I had a couple of issues with the book, on the whole I'd thoroughly enjoyed it. So now that the sequel (Hereward: The Devil's Army) is out, I was intrigued to see how the story went on and whether the writer's tack or style had changed since the first book.

I read it in four days, despite this week being a ruthlessly busy time with few free moments. In short, Devil's Army is everything I could have hoped for in a sequel to Hereward. My two main issues with the first book were the somewhat stereotypical nature of the hero and the sparse treatment of the two great battles the book deals with. It may be that the sequel has escaped this problem by not dealing with world-famous battles and having an already-established hero, but I don't believe that is the case. I think James has taken his treatment of the main character and deepened and broadened his perspective. Hereward had changed throughout the first book, in sometimes jarring ways, and in the sequel his nature changes again several times, but subtly and with finesse, for which I think applause is due. And, while there are no famous historic battles in this one, there are two ways this book wins out. I have (since the first book) read something about the events in Hereward's period of activity and can say that Wilde seems to have really done his homework, using the accepted history, but also making intuitive leaps in gaps in the knowledge. Also, though there may be no great battles in this book, there are plenty of non-famous ones, and they are treated with an in-depth and exciting narrative.

As with the first book, Wilde's narrative style is so enthusing and visual that he could have written a phone book and made it riveting. His descriptions make you feel cold with the icy claws of winter, or terrified in a hut of desperate and dangerous peasants. While I'm giving Devil's Army 5 stars, I can't see anything he ever writes being worthy of less than 4, just because of the way it's written.

From the devastation of the north under the conqueror's army, to the fortress in the swamps at Ely, to the numerous betrayals of the loyal and doomed English, to the amazing Harald Redteeth (who I think I want to be), to the almost Martin-Sheen-rising-from-the-river-in-Apocalypse-Now ambushes that devastate the cold Normans, every step is a win. The plot is well-written and well-rounded and ties up beautifully from beginning to end, with more hooks, twists, surprises and stunning scenes than the first, and more than most novels in the genre.

I would recommend people read these books. Hopefully you will love Hereward and its sequel. Hereward was a gripping read, but the Devil's Army is a tour-de-force and a welcome addition to my shelf of great Historical Fiction.

Hereward (Hereward 1)
Hereward (Hereward 1)
by James Wilde

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid debut, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Hereward (Hereward 1) (Paperback)
Hereward was something of an unknown for me as I went into it. With most historical fiction I read, I have some grounding in the subject or characters, but my knowledge of Hereward the Wake is limited to the fact that I knew the name, though I couldn't even have placed him in a century until I read this book. So there's something important that James Wilde has done: he has put a hitherto vague name on the map for a lot of people as a historical hero and placed him in a time period.
The book has upsides and downsides for me that swung my opinion wildly as I read, though I finished it with a solidly positive view.

I found the character of Hereward himself to be a little too familiar and stereotypical - bearing characteristics in common with Batman, the Hulk, and Conan the Barbarian among others. He is an anti-hero in a well-used vein, brooding and dark and moody, with a shadowy, unhappy past, interspersed with periodic berserk rages. I did get used to the character after a while, but the main supporting characters I thought were more original constructions. Saying this, the character, while a little jarring at the start, wore in very nicely by the end.

Easily counteracting any trouble I had with the main character was the writing itself. Wilde has a very visual writing style that makes his work a joy to read and, to be honest, he could write a bus timetable and I would find it gripping and effusive. Despite any issues I had during the book, I continued to pick it up and read it at every opportunity and finished it in three days (fairly quick for me.) Moreover, the book picked up pace and style toward the end and drew me ever further in, leaving me in the position where I would have been disappointed that it had finished, had I not the sequel standing by ready to go on to.

The other issue I had was with the two main battles handled within the book. There are only a few things that I do know about this period, but they generally revolve around the battle of Senlac Hill (Hastings) and the battle of Stamford Bridge (the latter having been fought not far from my home and therefore a matter of local interest). The accounts of both battles in the novel are sparsely and briefly treated, with Hastings being taken up suddenly towards the end of the battle and what has happened so far given as a brief retrospective. I was a little disappointed at that, given the import of the two battles not only on British history, but also on the characters in the novel. I felt that the battles should have been given much more detail and made more relevant, given their centrality to the plot. Also, the history of the battle of Stamford Bridge appears to have been slightly altered in the book (ref specifically the famous axeman on the bridge and the manner of his downfall.)

I do love the feel of the era as portrayed by James. This period has a tremendous mix, from pantheistic Vikings in the traditional sense, through Christianised Norsemen, Saxon Englishmen, knights of Flanders who would not seem out of place over a century later during Richard I's wars, to the Normans (who are only given a passing role in this book, but are satisfyingly portrayed as harsh and efficient former Norsemen themselves.) And kudos to James for his treatment of the much vaunted Harold Godwinson and his kin and the harepin bend he takes with their proud legend. Pleased at that, James.

Overall, I had a couple of issues, but nothing that prevented me thoroughly enjoying the book. The last quarter, in particular, I loved. I also like the fact that the story builds up from the introduction of a fates-battered anti-hero and ends with his rebirth as a true hero for England, leaving threads open and drawing the reader into the sequel.

Warlord (Outlaw Chronicles)
Warlord (Outlaw Chronicles)
by Angus Donald

5.0 out of 5 stars Warlord: a winner, 23 July 2012
I found that Warlord followed the trend in Angus' series in that THERE IS NO TREND. Honestly, one thing you can really count on with the Outlaw books is that any new title will have a new story, a fresh angle and a different feel and theme to it. There is nothing formulaic or repetitive about the series in any way.

Outlaw was a tale of survival and redemption with Alan Dale and the infamous Robert Odo of Locksley, better known as Robin Hood. The story took us in a new and interesting way around familiar old legends, with a fresh and brutal interpretation of Robin that is nothing like the man in green of classic TV.

The second book, Holy Warrior, took us to Outremer and the world of the crusaders, with a now-legitimate Robin. The mood was darker and more soul-searching and, to be quite honest, left me feeling angry at Robin and, to a lesser extent, Alan. This was, for me, the `Empire Strikes Back' of the Outlaw series.

Thirdly, King's Man was the tale of King Richard's imprisonment in Germany and Alan and Robin's part in his return to power. It was also the tale of Prince John's rise and then fall. It was a story of intrigue and espionage and to that point the best in the series, I would say.

And so, to Warlord. Once again, Angus has taken us in a new direction. Alan and Robin move with the action to Normandy, this time, to Richard's brutal and protracted war with Phillip of France. There are three very distinct threads of action in this tale, though not consecutive or in order, but the tale is an amalgam of the three, bound together like a celtic knot.

Firstly, Alan Dale is beginning to delve into the secrets that surrounded his father's expulsion from Notre Dame in Paris and his subsequent death upon the order of a mysterious and powerful figure. This story involves murder, conspiracy, penetration deep into the heart of the enemy in Paris, and the investigation of some of the most powerful men in the world. This is as good a mystery tale in itself that it could fill a novel on its own and stand up to the best histfic murder mysteries out there

Secondly, there is the war itself, which is told in vivid description, with all the heroic scenes expected of Coeur de Lion's somewhat rash valour and excitable nature. But it is also brutal and unpleasant, giving us details about the world of medieval warfare that goes beyond the simply `what happened and who won?' style of history and explores the effects on the ordinary soldiers and the people caught in the middle of a war between their masters.

Thirdly, there is the tale of Alan's growth and love and his manor at Westbury, the depredations of his land under the vicious Hag of Hallamshire, the growing relationships with Goody and his men, including young Thomas, the squire, who is now almost the Alan we remember from the first book.

So that's a rundown of what Warlord is about, missing out too many spoilers. "But", I hear you say, "what's it like?"

Warlord is simply excellent. It brought to mind elements of a number of my favourite things, including some of the feel of the Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars video game (that may sound a strange comparison, but it remains one of the best-written and most evocative plots I have ever found and if you haven't played that game, buy it straight after Warlord), the siege scenes in medieval movies like Jeanne d'Arc (an average film to my mind, but an excellent siege scene), visits I have made to some of the book's locations in my youth (the Chateau Gaillard I found particularly breath-taking), the great tales I read as a boy of Richard the Lion Heart and his wars, and even a touch of the Arthurian legends, mixed with Christian myth and more. See how much the book makes me think of other very cool things?

Old villains that survived the previous books are just as vile and loathsome as ever, but are somewhat cast into the shadows by the arrival of new and all-the-more twisted and maniacal antagonists. Old friends are back in their full glory, and with them others who were previously minor and now begin to come to the fore. The last fight in the book is some of Donald's best work and had me almost twitching and leaning left and right with the swings as I read (like when you watch a rollercoaster on TV). It was, for me, on a par with the most excellent duel scene in King's Man, about which I have previously raved.

As with the previous books, and increasing with each new release, one of my fave characters is King Richard himself. I suspect that the amount of research Angus has done on this famous king is deeper and more involved than anything else he has undertaken in his work, and it shows. Angus' portrayal of Coeur de Lion is magnificent, and easily the best I've come across either on paper or screen. That alone makes Warlord an outstanding book.

So the upshot is that Warlord is another winner from the author of Outlaw. If you like his books, you'll buy this one, I'm sure, and if you've not read any, then you need to buy them all and start from the beginning.

Oh... and Warlord throws us some tremendous teasers for what to expect in book 5. It makes me hunger for the next release

As always, Mister Donald.... Bravo!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12