Profile for Cruiseo > Reviews

Cruiseo (Slough, UK)

Battery for BOSCH PBM 7.2V, 12.0V, 2100mAh, NiMH
Battery for BOSCH PBM 7.2V, 12.0V, 2100mAh, NiMH

1.0 out of 5 stars Unit is not as what it replaces, 6 Feb 2014
I wanted it for a battery drill to replace a Bosch unit which doesn't hold a charge anymore.
The unit which arrived fitted into the battery compartment to make a connection but was too large for the clip to engage and hold it in. The drill worked on the charge in the unit. However, though it fits the original charger, it doesn't charge.

As it happened I needed the drill urgently and went out to by a new one.

When I selected the unit I was greedy and went for a very high capacity. So it may be my fault. Having said that I cannot recommend it.

eSynic HDMI to SCART Converter Composite Video HD Stereo Audio Adapter for SKY HD Blu Ray DVD APPLE TV PS3 ( With Scart Interface)

4.0 out of 5 stars Reduced sound level but works fine, 6 Feb 2014
I use the unit instead of Apple TV with my iPad2. Of course I also need an Apple Digital AV Adapter. It's just plug and play.
The sound level is reduced by about 6 decibel. If I record from the iPad I run it through Nero software. I need to do that anyway to cut off head and tail. So it is no bother - other than having to remember to adjust the audio level.
The unit came just with just the PSU. HDMI and SCART cable are also needed.
It came well packaged and quickly.

You Made Me Late Again!: My New Collection
You Made Me Late Again!: My New Collection
by Pam Ayres
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pam Ayres - another winner, 6 Feb 2014
I bought this book and had it delivered to my sister and my cousin. My cousin in the States loves it, having not heard of Pa, Ayres before. My sister reads it with her husband - both are fans.
Brilliant gift.

TP-Link TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit Desktop/Rackmount Switch
TP-Link TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit Desktop/Rackmount Switch
Price: 70.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and at a good price, 6 Feb 2014
The unit I got has no noisy fan. No management which I don't need. It just works. I'm delighted with it.
Unit was well wrapped and come quickly.
Did I mention the price?

HQ SCART Plug Switch Box with 5x SCART Sockets
HQ SCART Plug Switch Box with 5x SCART Sockets

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Switch that Works, 6 Feb 2014
I needed a switch to select which video recorder I want to watch. The switch allows to select by pushing in the button for the connection to select. When pushing a button it does not undo any other connection. This could be useful when combining audio from one device with video from another. I don't use that at the moment so all I have to remember is to first undo any other connection before making a new one.
I can always see which connection is made and am in complete control - something that an automatic switch doesn't give me.
The unit arrived quickly and well wrapped. The price was good. I can't fault it.

The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true
The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true
by Richard Dawkins
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars School boy stuff, 1 Nov 2011
Having heard about the author and read a review I was curious? "What's that all about aetheism and science etc?" Richard Dawkins now has a reputation and I also wanted to check that out.
I opted for the audio book because I have little time for reading. It works well for me - clear annunciation and intonation plus it is worth listening to. The reputation of Richard may be deserved but I cannot confirm that this book is anti-Christian. Instead I found a mix of well explained school science and relevant mythology. Relevant because, let's face it, if we don't know any better about anything we make up stories to fill the gap. I find that's the way our brains work: making up a model of the world as we need it. And the mythology bits were not focused on christianiy or any other faith in particular. With Richards reputation I can understand that some people may not want their children to read that book. BUT personally I would not object. Faith is not so shallow that it simply explains the workings of the physical world. It's much more. And children are more clever than to be that easily shaken in their faith. And - let's face it - if a child wants to question their faith, as every child in their live does, they will, regardless which book they read.
I wish the science had been as well explained to me in school. This is not a dry lesson in facts. The mythology helps to relate the science to humanity in us all.

I enjoyed the book despite the fact that on the science side there was very little new stuff in it for me. My faith is not shaken by this book: I'm not a Christian but I also rely on a strong faith that relies on believes. I'm close to sixty years of age and I recommend this book to young and old.

Victory Conditions (Vatta's War)
Victory Conditions (Vatta's War)
by Elizabeth Moon
Price: 6.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait for it, 25 Sep 2010
I can't imagine reading just this book in the series. The story is much longer and the action doesn't seem to stop. The hero develops over the whole series. To me it only makes sense as part of the whole.

The story line is a bit of James Clavell's Taipan set in space. There is the corporation under attack, the enemy is space pirates, the authorities are tools of one side or the other there are politics and high adventure. But! Problem solving is typical for women fantasy writers. The hero is still the hero but relationships play a much bigger role. There is competition and rivalry between the characters but it is mainly based (and blamed) on lack of communication. Conflict is so easy to solve (as long as the characters are on the same side). It makes the books very readable. We have come across it with authors like Anne McCaffrey and even J. K Rowling.

Part of the story are all sorts of sub plots which I call tips of ice bergs. One gets to see a new character just for a brief period and is left to wonder what happens to them. Some of the activities lead to nothing apparent in the story. At the end of the book I wanted to read on but had nowhere to go. So I wondered, what happened with all these loose ends and with those characters with so much potential. This is the genius of it: the mind is free to imagine further. What a subtle replacement for suspending disbelieve. Of course, this is not just a trick of Elisabeth Moon, but apart from the plot twists it adds hugely to the readability.

This book concludes the series (So what's the next series?). It ends just before the complete clear up of the pirates with only the beginnings of the future for the hero's family's corporation - good news all round for the good side. This shouldn't be surprising. But the way to get there is what the books are all about.

My recommendation: If you enjoy sci-fi, adventure and a gripping read buy not just this book but the whole series.

Command Decision: Vatta's War: Book Four
Command Decision: Vatta's War: Book Four
by Elizabeth Moon
Price: 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait for it, 25 Sep 2010
To me the book only makes sense as part of the whole series. This is part 4 out of 5.

In this book the heroin, after having earned the status and the respect in the story, wins the tools for the final battle. The military background of the author shines through and professionalism is celebrated.

I'm told that men prefer to read books from male authors whilst women don't mind male or female authors. This is not a series just for women.

Twilight of the Gods: The Essential Wagner Collection
Twilight of the Gods: The Essential Wagner Collection
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only a classic, 22 Dec 2009
Many of Wagner's contemporaries didn't take to his music and listening to some of his longer pieces I can feel with them. Today though Wagner's emotional power has entered popular appreciation. This selection focuses on the music that we all hear on the media without resorting to a Wagner opera.
It makes this point very easily and I find it a joy to listen to. There is no pretence of grandieur and it doesn't demand full attention. Instead it colours the chores, work or play that you happen to enjoy at the time with quite a range of emotions.
If you look for a more rounded classical music experience then buy a CD of an opera. This one is for the casual listener who gets fed up with pop and electronic instruments once in a while.