Profile for Liz52Woody > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Liverpool Angels
Liverpool Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Liverpool Angels (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was so topical with all the recent first World War commemorations that have been on the media.

The main story was about 2 young cousins from Liverpool who volunteer as VAD nurses and go to France and work in appalling conditions to look after wounded soldiers from the battles of the Somme, Ypres and Paschendale. The book also tells the story of soldiers at the front from the Liverpool Pals Battalion and how their families at home deal with the war. I thought the book was very well researched and the story was brilliantly told and kept me turning the pages until the end. I also felt that I learned a lot about the war as well.

Meet Me Under the Clock
Meet Me Under the Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars Annie's Usual High Standard, 17 May 2014
I have read all Annie's books and she is still my favourite author. I love that she sets her stories in Birmingham as there is always something in her books that reflects on my life or that of my family. Audrey in the story was at RAF Cardington and my dad did his basic training there during World War II. Also my mum was a WAF. The other sister in the story worked on the railway and I had several family members who worked on the railway all during the war. I thought that the way that Audrey's struggles with her relationships was dealt with very well, and that this made the story very different from the normal wartime books. This would have been something that would have very much not been talked about in normal conversation at the time.

Would other reviewers please note that "Brummies" use the word "Mom" rather than Mum or Mam.

Ruby
Ruby

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
I have had this on my kindle for a while but only just got round to reading, but would recommend as an excellent story with good characters that keeps you wanting to read until the book is finished. I liked the era that it was set in also, and it appeared to be well researched. I am now going to download Gracie which is a follow on book about one of the characters in this book.

The Women of Lilac Street
The Women of Lilac Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as Always, 8 Sept. 2013
This is the story of three families and is set in the twenties in working class Birmingham. They live in the same street - hence the title of the book. The first family's story is told from the point of view of 12 year old Aggie Green. She is looking for excitement and wants to be a spy, but in reality her Dad is ill and the family are struggling.

The Taylor family headed by matriarch Phyllis are outwardly decent, god fearing and pillars of the community but they are hiding a secret.

Rose Southgate is in an unhappy marriage. She embarks on a friendship with a man that calls at the house that is to have far reaching consequences.

As ever Annie Murray weaves it all together with her usual attention to detail, and meticulous research, and you are transported back to the time and the story holds your attention totally. You want it to all work out in the end but does it? Highly recommended as always.

A Splendid Defiance
A Splendid Defiance

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 17 Feb. 2013
The review by Caz of Frinton-on-Sea of this book is excellent, and I cannot add a lot only to say that I agree with her. The action in the book takes place in and around Banbury Castle during the Civil War. If you love history and romance you will enjoy this book. I actually live in Banbury, and didn't know of the book or the author until recently when I saw a piece in the local paper about it, and I was curious. The research that the author must have done is amazing. I can verify that all the place names are authentic. The village of Bodicote where the awful Thankful Barnes lives and works as the blacksmith is where I live. He is the character who Abby's brother Jonas tries to force her to marry. John Fiennes - another character in the book - his ancestors - Lord and Lady Saye and Sele still live at Broughton Castle to this day. I shall definately be reading more of Stella Riley's books in the future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 2:12 PM BST

The Orphan of Angel Street
The Orphan of Angel Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent As Ever, 7 Feb. 2013
This is my last Annie Murray book to read and although I have loved all her books, this has to be one of my favourites. As usual her attention to detail is meticulous, and her research is amazing. I do love the fact that her books are set in Birmingham, as her descriptions of life in the back to back houses at the turn of the century are so vivid that you can imagine that you are there. My grandparents and great grand parents lived this life so it is great for me to be able to have it all brought to life.

The central character in the book - Mercy has everything thrown at her, but she has great strength of personality and finds a way through. She is helped along the way by several other great characters. I even came to like Mabel just a little bit towards the end! A great read - definately well recommended.

Family of Women
Family of Women

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as Ever, 19 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Family of Women (Kindle Edition)
This book spans the decades the twenties to the early sixties, and the lives of three generations of women. The matriarch over them all is Bessie, and her children and grandchildren are trying to break away from her influence in their various different ways. Bessie is very cruel and controlling, but we do eventually find out the reasons from her early life that made her like this.

As ever Annie Murray's story telling is excellent, and her attention to detail impeccable. A particularly poignant part of the book for me is the section when Carol is in the Iron Lung. I can remember when polio was a disease to be feared.

As ever with an Annie Murray book it always manages to touch something personal either in my life or that of my ancestors. The references To Joyce working on the Trifle line at Birds, and wanting to move to Banbury to better herself, is exactly what my family did in 1964 when I was 13. My father worked at Birds from 1949 later General Foods, (now Kraft Foods) for 30 years, and I still live in Banbury today, but I am still proud of my Brummie roots, and have recently traced back my family there to early Victorian times.

When the Lights Go On Again (Campion Family Book 5)
When the Lights Go On Again (Campion Family Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Campion Series, 19 Sept. 2012
I have just finished reading "When the Lights Go On Again" the final book of the 5 book Campion family saga. I mistakenly started with the second book "Daughters of Liverpool". Followed by the second "Where the Heart Is", the third "The Heart of the Family" and the first "Across the Mersey", before finally reading the last book "When the Lights Go On Again"

Ideally, as other reviewers have said you should read the books in sequence, but each book does stand alone, and they are all excellant. They all get you hooked into the story from the start, and when you get into the books you are very keen to carry on reading each one to find out what happens to each character.

I do have quite a lot of knowledge of World War II, but there was much to interest me on the factual side in these books as well, particually the character Lou's story after she joins ATA. I was also interested in the character Luke being on the Italy campaign as my father was also part of this campaign during the war. The research done for these books is excellant, and if you like family sagas definitely recommended. What a pity that there will be no more Annie Groves books to enjoy in the future following her death earlier this year.

If I had to criticize anything at all it would be the author's overuse of the adverb ruefully.

My Sweet Valentine
My Sweet Valentine
by Annie Groves

4.0 out of 5 stars Article Row Series, 5 May 2012
This review is from: My Sweet Valentine (Paperback)
Very sorry to hear of death of Penny Jordan. (Annie Groves) Have on the whole enjoyed the Article Row series, and seeing how all the characters develop. Hope that the last book will still be able to be published in October, and that it is the conclusion to the story of the 4 girls and Olive. Hadn't read any Annie Groves before and I picked up London Belles as a second hand book when I was on holiday last October and got hooked. I am now about to start reading some earlier Annie Groves - the Campion series.

I agree with the reviewer that said that there was too much of Tilly and Drew in My Sweet Valentine, and it all got a bit slushy at times. However I got to like Dulcie a lot better and want to see how the friendship between her and David develops. Also the relationship of Olive and Sergeant Dawson is fascinating. And will Agnes and Ted ever get married, and will his mother ever accept her?

The historical detail of the Second World War throughout the series is also excellant. I have read a lot about the period, and also heard much from my parents who lived through it and both served in the forces, but there is still detail that I have learnt from these books.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2013 9:43 PM GMT

My Daughter, My Mother
My Daughter, My Mother
by Annie Murray

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Standard for Annie Again!, 4 May 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Paperback)
This book is set mostly in the 80's, with periods looking back into the past of the 2 mothers to World War II and the time of partition in India. It took me a little longer than usual with an Annie Murray book to get into, but it was well researched and had the author's usual brilliant attention to detail. From about one third in I was hooked, and I found the Indian history of the 40's and the 80's particularly interesting, as I didn't previously have a lot of knowledge of this.

I agree with the other reviewer that it was difficult to have a lot of sympathy with the adult Margaret, although I do know that it was not unusual at that time for people to be given repeat prescriptions for years for anti-depressants like Valium. My one criticism is that it would have been good to have had more of an insight into Fred's life and personality. However Annie Murray is still my favourite author.

Page: 1 | 2