Profile for Neil > Reviews

Fags, Mags & Bags: Complete Series 1
Fags, Mags & Bags: Complete Series 1
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Both amazing and great!, 25 May 2011
This is one of the funniest programmes the BBC has ever produced in my opinion. It left me with aching stomach muscles from laughing so much. It is repeated on Radio 4 extra very occasionally but I think it's worth buying. I've listened to the first series at least five times and it still makes me laugh. Try not to listen to the whole series in one go. It's best if you spread it out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 6:55 PM BST

Total Fitness in 30 Minutes a Week
Total Fitness in 30 Minutes a Week
by Laurence Englemohr Morehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars It made me fit., 25 Feb 2011
I bought this book back in the 80s. I was over 17 stone and very unfit. I was living in Hong Kong at the time. I moved to the New Territories, to a house at the top of a hill and I had to walk up every night because the buses didn't go up there. On the first night it took me half an hour to get to the top and I thought my lungs were going to burst. I decided to get fit and bought this book.

The exercises are easy to do and they help you to build strength and endurance. You are required to do ten minutes a day, three days a week. After ten minutes, you are tired and sweaty. There is no wasted time. Actually, it is more likely to be twelve or thirteen minutes, taking into account moving from one exercise to another. The whole regime takes 24 weeks, three lots of eight weeks. The first eight weeks gets you fit enough to take on the second eight weeks, which builds you up for the third eight weeks. After that, it's all about maintaining fitness and weight.

Over the 24 weeks, I lost one pound a week in weight, which is what the book recommends. Any more than that makes it more likely that you will put it all back on again at some time. I got down to fifteen and a half stone and after a while I was running up the hill to get home. (One of the things I found with doing the exercises was that I was fit enough to do everything vigorously. I ran for the bus. I ran to the shops. I took steps two at a time when going upstairs. When you get started, you find that you do a lot more exercise than just what is in the book). I was very, very fit. (Fifteen and a half stone might sound heavy but I'm six foot six inches tall, so it was quite slim). Unfortunately, I sustained injuries in my knee and ankle, which have troubled me ever since and I cannot do that kind of exercise any more. So now I'm big and fat again. Sigh.

I found the advice in the book very useful and I recommend it. Just make sure you don't damage any tendons.

The Best of Mark-Almond
The Best of Mark-Almond

5.0 out of 5 stars Music with feeling, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Best of Mark-Almond (Audio CD)
I must admit that I don't have this album yet. The five stars is for one track only, The Ghetto - which I had on a sampler album back in 1970. I've been looking for a rerelease for a long time. The main reason for writing this review is to give the track listing.

1 Tuesday In New York 4'53"
2 The Ghetto 6'11"
3 The City 10'27"
4 Tramp And The Young Girl 5'00"
5 The Sausalito Bay Suite 21'45"
6 One Way Sunday 5'35"
7 Monday Bluesong 4'16"
8 What Am I Living For 5'09"
9 Lonely Girl 5'04"

An Inconvenient Truth [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Al Gore
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of mistakes and downright lies., 23 Oct 2009
This is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Facts, conjecture and deliberate misinformation are all mixed up in order to confuse and scare the viewer. Watch how Gore presents the lines showing the way temperature and CO2 in the atmosphere coincide. He displays them on separate graphs, one above the other, rather than on one graph. Why? Because the rise in CO2 occurs around 800 years AFTER the rise in temperature. The obvious conclusion is that increased temperature leads to increased CO2, not the other way around. Also, CO2 is a natural part of the earth's atmosphere. It is not a pollutant. It is very, very good for plants. The more CO2 there is, the faster and bigger plants grow. CO2 is a good thing. The constant focussing on CO2 distracts from the many other things that are being allowed to pollute our air, water and land.

This film is worth watching, though not worth buying, simply for the sake of pulling it apart. Do not accept what Gore says (or what I say). Look at all sides of the argument and make your own mind up.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2014 7:37 PM GMT

The Great European Rip-off: How the Corrupt, Wasteful EU is Taking Control of Our Lives
by David Craig MA

5.0 out of 5 stars All the evidence you need for leaving the EU, 19 May 2009
There has been a furore over MPs' expenses over the last few weeks. What they are getting is absolute peanuts to the astounding amounts that MEPs and their tens of thousands of staff are taking from us. This book is very easy to read (much easier than The Great Deception, mentioned elsewhere, and it is specifically about the cost of the EU, unlike the other very wide ranging book). Reading it left me open-mouthed at the arrogance and sheer shamelessness of the bureaucrats in Brussels. If you are thinking of voting for anyone but UKIP in the June election, I suggest you read this and then think again. We cannot afford the £40 million A DAY that we pay to be taken over. My eyes were already open to the waste and corruption that existed in the EU, but reading this book opened them even further. We must get out of the EU.

Stephen Fry in America [DVD]
Stephen Fry in America [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Fry
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 23 Dec 2008
This review is from: Stephen Fry in America [DVD] (DVD)
I don't have the DVDs but I did watch the series on TV. The original idea for the series must have looked good on paper - send Stephen Fry to every state in the USA and see what happens. However, in practice it didn't work out so well. Most states were covered in less than a minute each, which leads to a feeling of breathlessness and a lack of depth. If the producers had sent Fry to 12 of the states and given half an hour to each of them, it would probably have been a lot more interesting. As it was, a lot of the programme time was spent watching his pretend London taxi being driven along long, straight roads and seeing lines drawn on maps. A waste of money and time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2012 4:23 AM GMT

Poodle Hat
Poodle Hat

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 14 Dec 2008
This review is from: Poodle Hat (Audio CD)
Much is made of Weird Al's lyrics and his musical ability is often overlooked. That is a mistake. The man is amazingly talented. His singing is excellent, the arrangements of the songs are spot on. His own compositions, as opposed to the parodies, are getting better all the time. On here, Why Does This Always Happen To Me is a perfect representation of the kind of totally egocentric person that we all know, who sees everything in terms of its effect on him but has no sympathy or empathy for anyone else. It is astonishingly good.

The other high point for me is Genius In France, which is as close to Frank Zappa as anyone has ever come without actually being Frank Zappa. The xylophone sounds, the guitar sound, the constant changes of tempo, the weird sound breaks are superb. Fantastic.

The rest of the album is also brilliant, with examples of many different kinds of music. The harmonies, Weird Al's vocal range, the tightness of the arrangements, all are ... I'm running out of superlatives, wonderful, that'll do. Just buy it.

Weird Al Yankovic: The Ultimate Video Collection [DVD] [2003]
Weird Al Yankovic: The Ultimate Video Collection [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ 'Weird Al' Yankovic
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is this man not a superstar in the UK? I don't know., 14 Nov 2008
Unfortunately, this is no longer the Ultimate Video Collection. I guess we'll have to wait until "Weird Al" retires or dies for that. However, if you get this and his latest album Straight Outta Lynwood, you'll have a fantastic collection of songs and videos that will keep you entertained and amused for a very long time.

Most of the songs on here are parodies. They cover lots of different styles of music - folky, pop, rap, soul, rock and grunge. And Weird Al nails every single one. A superb musician, singer and arranger. This man should be huge here in the UK but for some reason, he's not. I don't know why.

Buy this. It's brilliant. And so cheap!!

The Age of the Understatement
The Age of the Understatement

2.0 out of 5 stars Overstated, 14 Nov 2008
I got this for nothing, fortunately. I can't understand all the comparisons with Scott Walker. Yes, there is an orchestra involved and the arrangements are very full and reminiscent of the sixties but the voice!!! Aargh! It's horrible. And the lyrics are pathetic. Overrated, overstated, overblown. It gets two stars for the very good musicianship and interesting arrangements. But that voice...

Crossing the Borders
Crossing the Borders

5.0 out of 5 stars A lucky find, 4 Nov 2008
This review is from: Crossing the Borders (Audio CD)
I found this album by chance. I had never heard of the Clydesiders but I was in a rare spending mood. I'm so glad I did. It is excellent. It is worth the price for one song alone, in my opinion, The Surf And The Silver Fishes. It is superb - great lyric, excellent harmonies. The other songs are great too. Take a chance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2009 9:28 PM GMT